Password Manager Recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
To be honest, I am guilty of password mismanagement. Yes, I use the same one for a few log-ins here and there, but now the way things are rapidly changing out here, it's time I get off my lazy rear end and invest in a password manager.

Why I am here is that I've been searching around for a password manager and the amount of choices out there is overwhelming. Currently, between my wife and I we have 5 devices that can log onto the net so the program would have to be able to be used by both of us over 2 phones, 1 iPad, 1 laptop and one desktop device.

I do not mind having to pay for it either....I am looking for the most secure program out there that is relatively easy to use.

As always, TIA! :cool:

Cheers!

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
I actually have two password managers - no, don't ask!

My preferred manager is Enpass, which is similar too SafeInCloud, the other one, and both operate pretty much the same way across all platforms and can be used to prefill passwords in your browser if required. Both are available in the App Store and are reasonably priced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Personally I currently use Safari on all my devices. I did use LastPass previously, and it was also on all my devices.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I use LastPass and LastPass Authenticator for MFA. All of my devices have this and I share a number of things with my wife as well as my daughter.

Pretty much all of the password managers are cross-platform and provide similar functionality. The difference in pricing and reputation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I use 1Password on my MBP and two iDevices, along with my  Watch. Been using it for years. Syncs multiple ways. My daughter uses Dashlane, it's about the same. As was said, there are a lot of options.

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use 1Password on my MBP and two iDevices, along with my  Watch. Been using it for years. Syncs multiple ways. My daughter uses Dashlane, it's about the same. As was said, there are a lot of options.

Thanks to all so far that have responded!

And Jake, 1Password has come up in s few 'reviews and ratings' articles out there (and so did Dashlane).
Since there were so many choices, I thought getting what most of you here use would be the wise thing to do.

I'l let you know what I finally decide to do.

Cheers to all!

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use 1Password to generate all my passwords. So pretty much all of them are 16-18 random letters, numbers, characters and I know none of them. I know one, strong, password that unlocks 1Password for me.

Don't forget also that Safari can store passwords in the Keychain and that it can be synced as well. Not a versatile as the various password keepers, but it's handy.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm a great fan of 1Password. You can still buy a once only payment version, I think; but I use the subscription method mainly because it is permanently up-to-date and it can run on more or less an unlimited number of devices - 6 in my case now; but was previously 7.

And, remember, it stores much more than PWs. Credit Card details, Software Licences for apps, Driver's Licence Details, confidential notes, Bank Accounts, you name it.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I use and prefer 1Password here (the standalone apps, NOT their cloud service). A word of warning as to what you ultimately choose to use. Some of the options out there host your passwords database on their cloud server. If their server gets compromised, chances are you are now compromised as well. Now, with 1Password, I do sync across multiple devices via iCloud, so obviously I am putting a lot of faith into Apple for keeping my iCloud data secure. With all the data these managers can hold, I recommend being extremely judicious in who you trust all this to. LastPass is one popular option out there who twice now has had their service breached, with the impact to end users dependent in part on how strong the password is that any particular user uses to encrypt their own database.

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was considering 1Password myself but a few managers I read about stored the data on MY machine vs a cloud or the manufacturers' server. Then Life's a rings in throws a wrench in it! :)

I don't use Apple's cloud (or any cloud service for that matter) seeing as though just about every one of them have been hacked. Now I am also not keeping nuclear codes or anything like that....I just don't really trust them is the bottom line and with all the extra external hard drives I've accumulated, not counting the thumb drives, I don't need cloud services for anything.

I'll keep looking and Jake's suggestion of using keychain may work for me although it doesn't have the bells and whistles of the other password managers out there....and having one that does keep track of credit card numbers, etc would be a nice option to have...although I an cutting way back on all of that too. I am cutting way back on everything, actually.

Thanks, everyone, for your input!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now, with 1Password, I do sync across multiple devices via iCloud, so obviously I am putting a lot of faith into Apple for keeping my iCloud data secure.
The file is encrypted while in transit, so even if Apple is breached, your passwords should be safe.

I was considering 1Password myself but a few managers I read about stored the data on MY machine vs a cloud or the manufacturers' server.
As I said, 1Password files are encrypted while Apple has them. And the sync files are not stored on Apple's servers. Nor are backups, unless you put them on iCloud Drive deliberately. They just use iCloud as a conduit for the encrypted files. Backups are stored on my own Mac, encrypted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was considering 1Password myself but a few managers I read about stored the data on MY machine vs a cloud or the manufacturers' server. Then Life's a rings in throws a wrench in it! :)

I don't use Apple's cloud (or any cloud service for that matter) seeing as though just about every one of them have been hacked. Now I am also not keeping nuclear codes or anything like that....I just don't really trust them is the bottom line and with all the extra external hard drives I've accumulated, not counting the thumb drives, I don't need cloud services for anything.

I'll keep looking and Jake's suggestion of using keychain may work for me although it doesn't have the bells and whistles of the other password managers out there....and having one that does keep track of credit card numbers, etc would be a nice option to have...although I an cutting way back on all of that too. I am cutting way back on everything, actually.

Thanks, everyone, for your input!

With 1Password, you can choose to NOT use any cloud service for syncing, if you choose to sync. You can do it directly from one device to the next via Wi-Fi.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I am guilty of password mismanagement. Yes, I use the same one for a few log-ins here and there,

I think we all respect your decision. It's your computer, your life. But please, please don't use the same Password twiceO:)

Keychain will suggest strong passwords and I suggest you accept them. It will never suggest a password that's been used before. And it will remember them and sync them across all devices. They are encrypted so no problem there; but look after Keychain because that's your only "PW manager".

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The file is encrypted while in transit, so even if Apple is breached, your passwords should be safe.

As I said, 1Password files are encrypted while Apple has them. And the sync files are not stored on Apple's servers. Nor are backups, unless you put them on iCloud Drive deliberately. They just use iCloud as a conduit for the encrypted files. Backups are stored on my own Mac, encrypted.

Yes, which is why I trust Apple in particular. If their servers got compromised, someone would have to first decrypt my content (not realistically gonna happen), then work on the password for my actual 1P database. Now, I believe 1Password does something similar for their own cloud storage, but personally I just have more faith in Apple even though the 1P guys seem to know their stuff.

EDIT: I think I misunderstood what you said about how 1Password syncs via iCloud. If I understand this correctly, a user's entire 1P database is never on iCloud completely, just changes to it and only until all devices are synced up? That's even more impressive if so, but certainly not how 1P handles their own cloud service.

EDIT 2: No, if you sync 1Password via iCloud, the vault IS on iCloud. Regardless, I still trust Apple on this.

1p5-icloud-start-syncing.png

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Although it was some years back I tried all of the above mentioned apps and decided on Enpass. Unlike some it is a one time purchase, it's data is stored locally unless you choose to sync it across multiple devices and there are alternatives other than iCloud if you choose. Apple's 2FA security now is probably the best you can get today so that's what I use. It's very easy to understand and use, has a very handy audit function which informs you of weak, duplicated or breached sites and has browser extensions for most popular browsers to allow quick access for storing new passwords or auto filling passwords. All up I really like it. It's only "drawback" is you cannot login to it remotely. With some like I think, LastPass you can login to your account from any device and access your passwords, I see this as a security risk and it's one of the reasons I chose Enpass.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Keychain will suggest strong passwords and I suggest you accept them. It will never suggest a password that's been used before. And it will remember them and sync them across all devices. They are encrypted so no problem there; but look after Keychain because that's your only "PW manager".

That's assuming you're using Safari. Chrome and other browsers do not have access to the iCloud Keychain. And of course to use iCloud Keychain you must implement 2FA.

Which is why in my opinion password manager apps such as 1Password or LastPass are better since they have extensions for most browsers.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I gotta say, there's nothing like the sense of well being that I get from knowing that all my registration keys, passwords (including my wife's), user names, bank details etc are safe and accessible at any time. Looking back now to when I had word documents, notebooks and bits of paper floating around it's just so much easier and the thing that so many people hate, updating or changing passwords, is now just a breeze. No more birthdates or duplicates I can now have 16 digit+ alphanumeric passwords at a touch. I have 284 items, plus notes in Enpass today that I don't need to remember.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I use 1Password and Msecure

1Password to me is best for a single user, but sharing passwords and sites with my wife we have found Msecure to be a better choice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Further to my earlier post about using Enpass and SafeInCloud.

Both sync via the cloud BUT not necessarily iCloud as alternatives such as Dropbox, OneDrive and Google are available. Both work off line as well.

I trialled both some time ago and at that time the cost was minimal to put them on my iMac, iPhone, iPad and my wife's iPhone, so I have kept them both in use BUT one is set to use Dropbox and the other set to use OneDrive. To coin an old English saying - belt & braces!

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The knowledge you folks have shared with me on this topic is amazing. Today is the day that I get on it.

I have one more question, that pretty much tells you how much of a rookie I still am after 10 years of being on this forum.

I have 5 devices: 2 iPhones, an iPad (my wife's), a laptop and an ancient iMac. How is synching them all together performed?

I intend to let all of you know how it goes...because maybe this thread will be helpful to someone else who needs to update their passwords.

Cheers!

Pat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.