Partitioning USB drive with one partition still leaves an extra 2GB free. Please Help

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Was it that size partition when you bought it or did this happen after you tried partitioning it in Disk Utility? In other words brand new did all the space show up? It says it works stock with OSX, OS9 XP ETC so it was probably formatted FAT.

OP
D
Reaction score
Was it that size partition when you bought it or did this happen after you tried partitioning it in Disk Utility? In other words brand new did all the space show up? It says it works stock with OSX, OS9 XP ETC so it was probably formatted FAT.

Yeah it was that size partition when i bought it.

I just realised that i sort of formatted it twice weather that makes any difference.

It was Fat32 when a bought it then a formatted it to Mac OS Extended and it was fine then as i still had the 8GB. However then to wipe the stick clean again i just reformatted it again to Mac OS Extended and this is when i encountered the problem.

I don't know weather that helps at all

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ah ok. When you partition and choose one partition, there should be a options clicker. Click Options. Is it set for GUID? If so change it to MBR. GUID uses a part of the drive for booting with Intel Macs with EFI firmware. Then hit apply and see what happens. Just a stab in the dark but that could be it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ah ok. When you partition and choose one partition, there should be a options clicker. Click Options. Is it set for GUID? If so change it to MBR. GUID uses a part of the drive for booting with Intel Macs with EFI firmware. Then hit apply and see what happens. Just a stab in the dark but that could be it.

That was it! It was set to GUID I set it to MBR and everything was back to normal!

Thank you so much for all your help i really appreciate it!

Thanks again

Dave

Reaction score
for Lawits

That was it! It was set to GUID I set it to MBR and everything was back to normal!

Thank you so much for all your help i really appreciate it!

Thanks again

Dave

Hi,

I have an 8GB usb flash drive but when i format it using one partition the partition is only 7.67GB. It says i still have 2.27GB left and the total capacity of my drive is 8.02GB. I have partitioned the drive over and over again and each time i get the same result. How can i get my partition to take a the full capacity of my drive.

(See attached picture for details.)

Thanks for any help.

Dave

I ran into the same issue. For me I wanted it Mac specific formatted and intel bootable (this is for a macbook pro). The mistake was in the format type I was picking. If you pick mac OS exented with journaling the blue portion is set aside for the journaling. If you pick mac OS extend then it gives you the full space.

Hope this helps :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.