Parallels -- keyboard lag.

Reaction score
Hi guys -- i use Parallels on my mack for some work, and on a regular basis I get keyboard input lag. When I enter text, backspace, etc. there is a noticeable lag and it cause me to mess up too much -- over spacing, not placing the cursor at the right place, etc.

It's really frustrating, and it happens on a regular basis. I don't know what's causing it, but I thought someone out there might have some suggestions.

I think it my have something to do with windows doing something in the background, etc, but I can't find anything that stands out when I take a loot at the resource monitor, or task manger, system resources, etc.

Any suggestions/ help? It's really annoying and frustrating and it happens at the most in opportune times. Then it can go away.

I don't have this problem with OS X, just windows. And boy do I hate windows.

MB Pro, core 2 duo, el capitan, Parallels 11, 8 gig RAM.

Please, any guidance will be appreciated. Anything like this in, say VM Ware? I thought about that, but not sure.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have tried running Windows under a similar setup. I ran Fusion on a Core 2 Dup MacBook Pro. I also experienced similar performance issues. The following thoughts occur to me but others may have better answers:

1. Which version of Windows are you running?
2. Other than Parallels what OS X programs are running while Windows is active?
3. What Windows programs are active? If you are accessing sites with a lot of scripts running that may be part of the issue. Some have gotten so bad that they bring a browser to its knees even in a straight Windows environment.

Keep in mind that this configuration means you are running two operating systems simultaneously. This, by definition, means you are going to experience some overhead. You might try going into the preferences for Parallels and adjusting the amount of memory allocated to the program.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I ran both Fusion and VirtualBox alongside OS X and never had a lag problem. (That was with running both WinXP and Windows 7.) Like Sly stated above, you might need to allocate more memory to the VM or, you may need to access the Parallels tools and make adjustments. When you run Parallels or any other VM software, the drivers which are needed for the operation of whatever operating system you're running are supplied by the virtual machine software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.