Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X Public Beta Testing

Reaction score

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Anatoly: I just logged into my Paragon account and I see that the current update is dated November. Can I use the new Demo version as an update to my registered version? Thanks.

That's what I did, because after logging in, I was only taken to a blank page, in 2 different browsers at that time.
Used the trial version to uninstall the old version first and then installed the new one. It auto found my registered serial #.

Reaction score
after logging in, I was only taken to a blank page, in 2 different browsers at that time.

You're talking about the ESS, right? That also happened to me, apparently due to a faulty password. I had to get my password reset to fix it. Anatoly did that for me, so hopefully he'll get in touch with you when he reads this.

Last I checked, the version in the general trial download was newer than the one available through the ESS. Once you've mounted the DMG, just do a
"Show Package Contents" (right click) on the package file to check the dates.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have had no issues with moving around > 4GB files any longer.

Reaction score
Hey

I just bought a macbook pro, and I bought Paragon NTFS for Mac...It works fine with the dual boot (Windows and Mac), but when I plug in my lacie hard drive (formatted as NTFS), it will not copy stuff to my Mac hard. But it will copy stuff from my mac hard drive to the lacie hard drive....It says "there is a problem with the file and cannot be copied"

Any suggestions, I sent a request about it to the technical support earlier today....DO you think I have to reformat my lacie hard drive or something?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should be able to read and copy files from the external even without NTFS for Mac. NTFS for Mac is what is allowing you to write to the external. But, let us know what Paragon has to say.

Am assuming you are able to read the drive. What happens when you try to drag a file from it to your desktop?

Reaction score
yeah that's what I'm saying....

I am able to read the lacie hard drive (aka: I can see what is on the drive), but when I try to copy say like a music file or picture, drag it from there to the desktop of the Mac, it says "there is a problem with the file and cannot be copied"

I tried my Sandisk Minicruzer 1 gb flash drive, and it works perfect (it's formatted NTFS). So it maybe just be my hard drive. You think I should reformat it?

Thanks

OP
A
Reaction score
Dear dcwang3,

Using Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X driver you should read files from any NTFS partition (inclusive of copying to a Mac partition) and write to any NTFS partition.
If you can, please try to format your lacie hard drive from within any Windows PC and try to perform this test again. The problem can be hidden in our driver or in the NTFS partition on your lacie hard drive (but I doubt it).

Looking forward to your result.
Thank you,
Anatoly.

Reaction score
Just to be clear, if I have an iMac and a PC hardwired to a router and I can see and access shared folders on both computers on my network, I should be able to transfer a file from mac OS X--->over the network--->onto an NTFS-formatted *internal* hard drive inside the PC...right?

What about OS X--->over the network--->onto an NTFS-formatted *external* drive connected via USB to the PC? (because I'm too lazy to walk down two flights of stairs to the basement, unplug the external drive, walk back upstairs, and plug it into the mac).

Thanks for enduring my noob questions.

James

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just to be clear, if I have an iMac and a PC hardwired to a router and I can see and access shared folders on both computers on my network, I should be able to transfer a file from mac OS X--->over the network--->onto an NTFS-formatted *internal* hard drive inside the PC...right?

Absolutely. There's no need for a specialized driver there because you're doing a network transfer and the native OS is handling Read/Write tasks.

What about OS X--->over the network--->onto an NTFS-formatted *external* drive connected via USB to the PC? (because I'm too lazy to walk down two flights of stairs to the basement, unplug the external drive, walk back upstairs, and plug it into the mac).

Same thing. The only time this driver comes into play is when you attach an NTFS formatted disk *physically* to a Mac.

Reaction score
Absolutely. There's no need for a specialized driver there because you're doing a network transfer and the native OS is handling Read/Write tasks.

Thanks cwa! It makes perfect sense once it's explained to me.:D

The only time this driver comes into play is when you attach an NTFS formatted disk *physically* to a Mac.

Again, I wasn't aware of that and I appreciate the quick response.

One last thing (okay probably not the last thing;D): This is probably more of a Bootcamp/Parallels question, but let's say someone allocated 50GB of their iMac's 750GB internal hard drive for BootCamp. Would this driver be necessary if he formatted his Bootcamp partition in NTFS (with Parallels pointing to that partition) and, while running XP through Parallels, wanted to write to that NTFS partition from OS X? I hope that made sense.

James

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks cwa! It makes perfect sense once it's explained to me.:D

Again, I wasn't aware of that and I appreciate the quick response.

One last thing (okay probably not the last thing;D): This is probably more of a Bootcamp/Parallels question, but let's say someone allocated 50GB of their iMac's 750GB internal hard drive for BootCamp. Would this driver be necessary if he formatted his Bootcamp partition in NTFS (with Parallels pointing to that partition) and, while running XP through Parallels, wanted to write to that NTFS partition from OS X? I hope that made sense.

James

No, because Parallels mounts the NTFS partition so that the Mac can read/write to it. It's a feature of Parallels. You can see in the attached picture how the NTFS partition shows up as a volume on the OS X desktop.

What this driver is really geared toward is for those people that have an external USB/Firewire/ESATA drive that they share amongst Macs and Windows machines. Also, if you didn't have Parallels acting as a translator, and you were using Boot Camp alone, it would allow you to write to the Boot Camp partition outside of Windows.

Reaction score
Sir, you are a wealth of knowledge and I thank you for answering my questions so clearly. I don't have any external hard drives that I'll be plugging up to my mac (except the one for Time Machine), so I don't need this driver right now.

I've been procrastinating too long. Time to get off the fence and order my mac! My next post will most likely be in the Switcher's Hangout.

James

Reaction score
Erratic failures when READING from NTFS

Dear Anatoly and/or Paragon NTFS developing team,
Yesterday I needed to copy one entire huge folder from an external NTFS disk to a different NTFS disk. At the time this had to be carried out, the only practical way of doing it was using my main HFS Journaled internal disk as temporary storage. Much to my surprise, when the copying process from NTFS to HFS was midway, a dialog popped up saying a certain file couldn't be copied because it already existed. I tried twice, and got the same result. After uninstalling the Paragon NTFS driver, I repeated the operation, and it was successful. When I reinstalled the driver again, the copy failed again.
I didn't see anything particular in the name of the file, but noticed that the subfolder where the file was located had a thumbs.db file, whereas none of the previously copied subfolders had one.
I think a thorough revision of the NTFS reading routines is in order. In addition, if your development process permits it, allow for the possibility of changing the icon of NTFS disks (this used to be possible before version 6.0.13).
Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.