Pairing iPad with a Mac to use Skype

Reaction score
I have a situation coming up where I would like to use my Mac for FaceTime or Skype in a large group setting. The venue does not have Wifi. Can I pair my iPad to the Mac and use my wireless connection to access Skype or FaceTime?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If your iPad meets the specs you should be able to using the Hotspot or as I believe it used to be called Internet Tethering.

Check out these as a start:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204023
http://www.imore.com/how-connect-instant-hotspot-your-ipad
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/tether-apple-ipad-laptop-72902.html

But you you'll need to have a data SIM card installed to access the Internet and Skype etc. I believe. At least I did with my old iPad 2 when I was in the hospital that didn't have Wi-Fi.

Your iPad then becomes the access point to share with your Mac or other PC.

Maybe check these sites for more info:
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=iPad+Internet+Tethering&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a situation coming up where I would like to use my Mac for FaceTime or Skype in a large group setting. The venue does not have Wifi. Can I pair my iPad to the Mac and use my wireless connection to access Skype or FaceTime?

The key to whether or not you can do as you want is if your iPad has cellular capability. If it does, then be sure to check out the links that member pm-r indicated in his reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks chscag, I should have made more of a point to emphasize the need for the iPad to have cellular capability and a compatible SIM card installed and working.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
There's one more piece of the puzzle...

What do you have for a data plan (assuming that you do have cellular service on the iPad)?

In the US, the carriers like Verizon and AT&T will willingly let you use the iPhone/iPad as a hotspot, but NOT if you are on an unlimited data plan (AT&T brought those back recently for customers that are also DirecTV customers). Additionally, the MVNO's (Mobile Virtual Network Operators) almost never allow the Hotspot feature. So, if you're using Verizon's towers and network via Verizon, you're likely ok. But, if you're using their towers and network via Straight Talk, you're out of luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's one more piece of the puzzle...

Good grief.

Doesn't it seem a bit odd that it's the customer that pays and supports all these companies to use their services who just seem to keep being gouged. Gheese!!

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014

Good grief.

Doesn't it seem a bit odd that it's the customer that pays and supports all these companies to use their services who just seem to keep being gouged. Gheese!!

- Patrick
=======

I agree. When I pay for something, I should be allowed to use it however I please. I refused to pay the additional fee that the carrier wanted in order to enable the OPTION of using my phone as a hotspot. With the iPhone, the carriers don't block this.

I also will never purchase an iPad (or other tablet) with cellular service again. There's no value (IMHO) to paying the additional cost in the first place to have the radio in it, and then I have to pay to add it to my cell phone plan for data use only. I don't get any additional allotment of data, I'm only paying for the privilege of using what I've already paid for. I can achieve EXACTLY the same results by pairing my tablet to my phone and using the phone as a hotspot. The concept with GM's in-vehicle WiFi is exactly the same and I will never link my truck to my AT&T account for the privilege of consuming my data in a different form.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have to agree with Ember on this one. I have an iPad 3 with cellular that I purchased back when they were new and soon found out that it was going to cost additional $$ to use it that way. I wound up buying a $10 sim card from
T-Mobile and make use of their free 200 MB of data per month. It's not much but since my wife and I have iPhones with a data plan, we seldom if ever use the 200 MB. And yes, an iPad with cellular capability is a waste of money in my opinion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.