Pad Mini 6 battery issue

Reaction score
I use my iPad mini daily. I use it to read ebooks and newspapers, and if I want to multitask while watching TV after dinner. I do serious work on an iMac. The mini is now running out of battery (10% warning) early in the evening. It gets charged each night. (I can recharge it in 30 minutes to about 80% and then use it until I go to bed.)
I have three choices.
1. Do nothing and "manage" as described above
2. Have the battery replaced, and wait for a new model mini to be available, maybe later this year, maybe next year. (Does the Apple Store replace batteries?)
3. Buy a new mini--but it would be the same model which seems awful.

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
How old is it?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Install Coconut battery on your Mac and connect your iPad Mini to it and see what the health of the battery is. You can also get this from Settings->Battery as well.

Based on that, you can decide if you want to spend the money on a battery upgrade or something else.

If you're happy with everything else on the iPad, then no need to upgrade yet..

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You obviously get a lot of use out of it so I’m not too surprised that the battery isn’t making it through the day given it’s three years old.
As RazOrEdge says, check the state of the battery. If it’s down to 80% or less then replacing it is probably worth it. Yes, an Apple Store will do that.
You said that if you got a new one it would be the same model (iPad Mini 6) but there is a later model, the iPad Mini 7 with a slightly larger screen 8.3” which claims 9-10 hrs screen time which is still not that good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Install Coconut battery on your Mac and connect your iPad Mini to it and see what the health of the battery is. You can also get this from Settings->Battery as well.

Based on that, you can decide if you want to spend the money on a battery upgrade or something else.

If you're happy with everything else on the iPad, then no need to upgrade yet..
You obviously get a lot of use out of it so I’m not too surprised that the battery isn’t making it through the day given it’s three years old.
As RazOrEdge says, check the state of the battery. If it’s down to 80% or less then replacing it is probably worth it. Yes, an Apple Store will do that.
You said that if you got a new one it would be the same model (iPad Mini 6) but there is a later model, the iPad Mini 7 with a slightly larger screen 8.3” which claims 9-10 hrs screen time which is still not that good.
Hi Guys & Whoopie - bought my wife the iPad Mini 6 last year to replace her Mini 5 with a dying battery - believe that the Mini 7 is not out yet but should be announced for a release soon (a too long delay IMO!).

@ Whoopie - I was about to post on Coconut Battery when Ashwin beat me to it; but check the link - an app for your iMac (need to cable your iPad to the computer) - below my iPad Pro showing a battery health of 89+% and 657 cycles (i.e. TOTAL recharges) - when the health drops below 80% and cycles exceed 1000, then time to consider a 'change' - SO, let us know what those numbers are on your Mini. As to a battery replacement, the cost will be around $100 - thus, if your battery health/cycles is not too bad, I would agree in waiting until the iPad Mini 7 is released and buy a new one. Dave :)

Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 5.02.36 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What is wrong with charging it at times during the day when you don't need to be using it too far away from an outlet? Charging while you're sleeping is not the only option, and might not be the best option. There is an overcharging prevention mechanism built in that shuts down the charging process at about 98% (I believe) even while it remains plugged in.

I don't know if there is any kind of defect that manifests itself as allowing the charger to "leak" and try to keep charging a fully charged battery. I choose to charge mine when I can monitor it. The first time that I check it and it says 100% (really only about 98%) I unplug it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.