OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G or Crucial SSD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
Planning to replace my 1TB HD with a 250GB SSD. (I use only about 80GB on my 1 TB HD). The Apple shop would put in a Crucial SSD, which would seem to be similar to the OWC SSD. I've read previous post where people seem to be satisfied with the Crucial SSD. Any comments pro or con?
Also, I read previous posts where they wrote about enabling TRIM. I have no idea what TRIM is and if I should have the shop enable it or not. What does TRIM do for the SSD?

Pete

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Either of those brands are fine. I have a Sandisk SSD in my machine and it's been working great. While you may only use 80GB of your 1TB HD, you need to allow for the chance that you might end up using more. A 1TB SSD is fairly cheap, so you might want to reconsider the 256GB SSD.

TRIM is explained here. I believe you don't want to have TRIM enabled.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
Thanks for the link to TRIM. I probably won't enable TRIM. Don't think I'll need a 1TB SSD, what with the cloud and many external drives, but I will opt for a 500GB SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The Apple shop would put in a Crucial SSD, which would seem to be similar to the OWC SSD.

You might want to check which Crucial SSD model they plan to use.

I don't know the current state of things but I put in an older Crucial SSD into my old MBPro some years ago, but it was one of the slowest SSD's available at that time, but I wasn't after any super speed. But heck it was at a great low price as well!!!

PS: Do they also include the adapter cable to prevent the fans running full speed if your Mac needs it???

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.