Outlook 2011 too slow..going back to Mail/iCal

Reaction score
Outlook hanging issues

Folks, I'm running a mac mini with Oulook '11 installed. It worked fine for the first week or so, but now around once a minute is will just hang for 10 seconds or so making it borderline usable. I have syncd it with gmail contacts but done nothing else out of the ordinary. When it hangs, if I go to activity monitor, I can see that the CPU usage has gone up from a typical 2% to over 100% for outlook. Any ideas? Surely that can't be right?

Reaction score
It takes nearly a full minute to open calendar tasks; double-clicking doesn't open a new task like it does in iCal; my contacts (7,000) take 2-3 minutes to open -- all ridiculously slow! I had really high hopes for using MS-Outlook on a fully integrated basis with the rest of Office, but I'll probably wind up going to either Thunderbird or back to Mail/iCal. All very frustrating! It's really hard to be loyal to Microsoft with these kinds of repeated issues...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 20" 2 GHZ 4MB, Macbook, Iphone, Ipod Touch
I have a mac mini, using the MS office suite 2008 with Entourage - just went through a problem with the MS database and used Ical and Mail for a couple of days, couldn't get Ical to bring in my Exchange 2007 calendar though - back to using Entourage now.

However, the boss wants to get the new HTC Evo 4G and I ready that doesn't like Entourage or Macs. Should I upgrade to Outlook 2011?

Reaction score
Like Outlook on Valium... slow!!

I found this discussion (apparently ongoing a while) and want to add my own experience. I have not used Entourage or anything else besides my ISP's web mail, and Outlook - for the past 10+ years. (Early 90's I used Eudora, true, then Outlook Express, then personal Outlook and then corporate Outlook, *all* on Windows). All my office and personal email was either sent to or forwarded to my accounts on Outlook. I used the organization tools and found it second-nature.

Now.... I have recently gotten my first Mac, state of the art and theoretically blazing - as it is in fact with most Apple Applications. But I wanted to restore my millions of emails in hundreds of folders (after my PC finally was given last rites and I decided to go with Mac) and debated Virtual Machine with all my Windows apps versus biting the bullet and "going native", sort of, and getting the new Office 2011 for Mac, reading generally good reviews. I decided to spring for the Office/Mac version and let the Mac do its stuff.

But my oh my it is SLOW as molasses on an Arctic tundra! How so? My most frequent activity, for example, is going through an inbox full of new mail and sorting into the right folders what I want to keep, deleting the gunk. Five minutes before posting this I received 3 copies of the same email (ironically from Nik Software describing issues with Mac Lion compatibility). So I wanted to delete the 2 extra copies and move one to my "Nik" folder. With Windows Outlook I'd just click and it's gone, instantly. With the Apple version it usually does not do anything at all for a while, no matter if I repeat the request to move to another folder, or if I do it from the main inbox page or while an individual message is open. If I wait long enough it may disappear or I will see the destination folder appear rather than the "Inbox". But it's like super-slow motion. It varies, sometimes not 2 minutes per move, other times (like now) yes.

It's almost (in my expressionistic experience) like it is knocking at the door of Apple's architecture and waiting for its number to be called. Why is that? I do have other apps open, but not really doing much to put any load on the processor or RAM. I'm used to it being instant, and only because it is so, so, very SLOW SLOW SLOW can I draw the comparison.

I have only Windows Outlook to compare to. I do find the Apple Mail a bit java-like (sometimes taking a moment before completing a move or deletion, especially if it's a chunk of G-mail) - but Outlook is free-standing, self-contained. The only thing may be relevant is that I have like 10,000 messages that I need to keep on the local machine to have handy (not in an archive externally) and *maybe* it is not as robust as Windows Outlook was. (?). Or is it "struggling" with the formerly .pst files from Windows Outlook?

I don't have the answer but when I "googled" slow Outlook for Mac, lots came up including this forum. I see I'm not alone, but my own perspective might be an addition to the mostly "Outlook vs. Entourage" discussions I've read. I'm focused on Outlook (Windows) versus Outlook (Mac) and wish that there was some way to get the Mac a bit more enthusiastic about executing the basic Outlook email functions at even a fraction of the speed I'm used to w/Outlook for PC. I don't think it's anyone's imagination! But I'd sure love a "fix"!

Reaction score
I feel your pain, drmikenyc, but let me point out something to keep in mind. MS-Office, Outlook, Word, Excel, etc. -- FOR MAC -- are all MICROSOFT products; NOT Apple products. IMO, MS has very clearly and deliberately held back taking the Mac Office environment to the level of the Windows experience in any of these programs (especially Outlook & Xcel), for what are obvious reasons to most anyone who has made the transition. Namely, they (MS) have very little incentive to make switching from a PC to a Mac - and hence, from Windows to OSX - any easier than it already is. People are defecting in droves already, and that will only increase since OSX is light-years ahead of Windows, and apps like MS-Office are the last line of defense for them.

For example, I just recently switched to the new Mac version of QuickBooks and can now get rid of that stupid Windows emulation software. I tried both Parallels and VM-Fusion, and although they both worked (sort of), they gulped down resources like a drunken sailor on Bourbon Street and were fraught with a host of flaky issues. I'll keep VMware around just for the occasional Windows-only app, but all it really did was remind me what a pain Windows is to use, as compared to OSX. Being an OSX user since it made its debut several years ago, I NEVER have screen freezes, I NEVER have system crashes, and I NEVER have malware issues. How people put up with all of that crap just amazes me... and since iWorks keeps getting better and better, I look forward to the day when I can ditch MS-Office altogether... and it probably won't be long!

Reaction score
Thanks oncfari. Some good points on MS's motivation to "help" (or not) with offering a useful emulation of its most-loved products in order to ease the migration away from Windows. I also appreciate your reference to the various VM options as that was my initial plan to avoid the cost of a 2nd set of expensive apps (like CS5, etc.) The "easy" ones like Office I went for. (I am *still* however unable to find great web-editing software for Mac, even though I found one spiffy app and am reluctantly using it; iWeb to me is way insufficient but nice I suppose for bloggers. With a million plus images to manage, iPhoto had to be supplemented with another crossover app too.) OK, I don't want to rant, and I know it's not a perfect world. And mindful of "where I am" I can whole-heartedly agree with you that it's amazing how tolerant so many of us have been of system crashes and freezes, blue screens, fighting viruses and anti-viruses, etc. It's a great and stable system (Mac) and we'll just have to see where users go over time: to iWork, better MS products for Mac, or some new (friend-based?) OS and apps!

Reaction score
Won't Send Large Files

I'll add my two cents to this thread.

About three months ago I upgraded from Office 2007 for the Mac to 2011. I have been using Outlook since. I have had a few issues, I have suggested a few upgrades to Microsoft. I have noticed a definite slowness to the application. The biggest issue for me though is the inability to send large files. Anything over about 8 megabytes gets timed out by my server. (Exchange 2007 with the latest updates.) I have asked my Exchange admin to lengthen the timeout value and will post if once I know the results.

Anyone with this issue?

Rand

Reaction score
Outlook 2011 and AD

I too, am experiencing problems with Outlook 2011 on an Intel 2.5ghz 8gb running 10.6.6 OS. I am connected to Exchange 2007 with all the latest upgrades, authenticating through AD running Windows Server 2003, with all latest updates recommend. When I launch Outlook, it processes for a period of 5 to 10 minutes and either gives me a msg that I have a corrupt database and rebuild(which I have done several times) or tells me that Outlook must be closed because an error occurred. When I log in as the local admin and launch Outlook using the same user, it runs sluggish, but I think that is due the the thousands of e-mails and hundreds of appts. I know that the Micorsoft user data folder gets written to the users document folder in their home directory. If I can somehow force it to write locally, I think I will be ok. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.