OSX Problems installing a NEWERTECH eSATA RAID Controller Driver on Mac Pro 3,1

Reaction score
Hi I decided to install an external drive bay with an eSATA connection.

The bay is an OWC Mercury Elite dual bay.

I am trying to install a NewerTEch eSATA Raid controller with much frustration.

When the card is installed it is recognised under Mac Hardware correctly - but without a driver.
Installing the provided Newetech driver CD OSX driver /software causes an installation error on El Capitan 10.11.6

See screenshots below:

I tried downloading a driver rom the manufacturers site - with the same result.

I tried connecting an external drive via eSATA but could not see the drive

Is anyone having similar problems - with this card which is sold by OWC and well reviewed.
it appears the driver version is not compatible with current MAC software.

Advice appreciated.

Brin

Newertech  Incom.png

Newertech Ins Fail.png

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you called OWC support? They have a toll free number and excellent support for the products they sell. However, I see from your non US English spelling that you may not be located in the US which means a call to OWC might be very expensive. I do believe they have a chat line that you can get on and ask for support that way. Anyway, what I'm getting at is you need to consult with them first.

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi Admin, thanks for your response.

I have sent OWC an email and waiting for some advice.

Just thought Id try the Forum as well.

OP
W
Reaction score
I have just noticed that installing an updated driver for my Epson 3880 produces the same error message.
However I didn't see any message telling me the software was incompatible.
Is 10.11.6 locking out software that has not been downloaded from the Apps store?

Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 12.50.20 PM.png

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It could be a security function called Gatekeeper in action. See here.

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi I changed the global security settings to temporarily download from "Anywhere" to get round this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That doesn't appear to be the "Gatekeeper" security feature. Were you successful in getting the driver updated? Normally, Gatekeeper won't even allow the installer package to open.

OP
W
Reaction score
The global change I made to download from "Anywhere" in system preferences allowed the package to be opened without warning signals.
The installation process then proceeded right to the end - at which time it failed as posted above.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The installation process then proceeded right to the end - at which time it failed as posted above.

Any word back from OWC?

OP
W
Reaction score
I have exchanged a couple of emails after trying to install the Newertech software on another Mac Pro (2009) running 10.11.6 - same software incompatibility issue flagged and failed in exactly the same way as my mac after attempting the installation.

OWC did get back to me and I have provided the requested information: explanation of the problem, device id numbers etc
They advise a driver is not required (which may be the case) but the admin software is still required to configure Raid settings on the card - and this won't install!

They also advise that I should be able to detect an external drive even without software - I tried this and there was no sign of the external SATA hard drive.

So from my perspective there are two issues a) the board is possibly faulty and b) the very old software package is not compatible with current OSX versions. This is puzzling since the card still sells here in Australia.

I will advise of the next update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.