• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

OS X virus!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah I am very concerned that the weird e-mails simply coincided with another problem! Not happy to say it. An fsck may be the next thing to do

OP
W

WilliS

the computer runs fine... last night and this morning have been just weird though.

there arent many problems i cant fix... its just figuring out what the **** the real problem is, and finding the solution to it....

im never against a clean install..its just that its finals week, i have 6 essays to write, 4 finals to take, and a program to write in c++ that currently has a sorting issue with the datatype i wrote, and i dont feel like going through the algorithm in my head right now, so im putting it off....so i would much rather an easy fix...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Wow so extremely busy! Well glad to hear it's running well! Really like to see such things worked out and all good. BTW nice new name/avatar :)

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
His sig owns your face, though.

And I gave him a link to the Virex Beta, so if it's a virus, Virex should wipe it up.
Alright. Bed. 12:30 and school tomorrow. X_X

OP
W

WilliS

ya... new avatar..new name...i need a new idea for a sig...i try to update them frequently... its something i like doing... and they get old after a while

absolute zero hooked me up with an antivirus beta...currently im awaiting the results...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Absolute Zero said:
His sig owns your face, though.
Really? Never saay anything like that about me EVER again -- Gotti IT? :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Well if you are using Mail I have heard some serious issues with blank subject, blank body emails, absolutely screwing Mail up.. that could explain that.. and then the pink lines.. like someone mentioned.. a little bug with the G5.. not sure on that one. Seriously though if there was a virus for the Mac you would see every single Mac/PC site doing a writup on it, just like that vulnerability announcement that went around a month ago. I would look elsewhere for your problem since it's not a virus problem.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
witeshark said:
Really? Never saay anything like that about me EVER again -- Gotti IT? :cool:
Hahaha. :p

It owns all. Happy? :p It's something I say quite frequently, don't take offense by it because it wasn't directed twards you. :)

OP
W

WilliS

well, whether you wish to believe me or not, ive had my computer for nearly a year now. ive clicked on this site, had weird things happen to my computer, and now when i turn it on, i get absolutly zero video output to my screen.

so you can hide your heads in the ground, or hold your hands over your eyes and not believe me, but ive been around the block a time or 2 with computers.

so keep telling me its not a virus :)... in the mean time, ill use my $3500 computer as a paperweight

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have stayed out of this thread up to now. I was not prepared to get into the Apple verse PC, OS X verse XP or even you have a virus or not.

The bottom line you have a problem which you are looking for a solution. Since you have decided to use your system as an expensive paper weight. Your next logical step is to do a clean install of the OS.

Since you have been around the block a few time I assume you know how to do that. :)

Also I know that witeshark gets carried away with repairing permissions, I assume that he make frequent changes to his system that warrant, his actions. I only repair the permissions after I install or update software.

As for the cron jobs (daily, weekly, and monthly) he mentions, these jobs are to clean up all log files. if you don't roll them over from time to time, they can get quite large and eat a massive amount of disk space.

So getting back on point, I was I had a real solution to your problem. I know it pains you. All I can suggest is starting with a fresh OS X load then, work with your mail. This sould rule out any other influences, third party software configurations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like bad RAM to me :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Absolute Zero said:
Hahaha. :p

It owns all. Happy? :p It's something I say quite frequently, don't take offense by it because it wasn't directed twards you. :)
Yeah, they are all girls :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WilliS said:
well, whether you wish to believe me or not, ive had my computer for nearly a year now. ive clicked on this site, had weird things happen to my computer, and now when i turn it on, i get absolutly zero video output to my screen.
Uhh what the ****? Oh. Heh. I thought you meant my AOL screen name, Absolut3ly Zero. Blah.
Anyway, maybe its the monitor? Try a different one, or hook the G5 up to a TV?

OP
T

TylerMoney

dance around the g5, monitor and all, and chant: oh sweet merciful gods of the mac, bring forth your powers, and take these ailgments from me and my mac.

that should fix the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Or you could R---- oh never mind! I'm sure it will sort out ok! ;)

OP
W

WilliS

i resorted to my old pc techniques of how to make my computer run better... format! lol

of course i forgot to save some stuff... but thats the way the cookie crumbles.... thanks for the help guys..but if its a physical problem, ill find out now for sure....

btw, switching monitors is impossible...im at college for 1, no one on my floor has a dvi output monitor and i dont have any converters with me, and also..if it was my monitor..i would crap myself and cry before i cared to try another one :(

i would have to say the part of this computer i love most is the apple display! :D lol

ill keep anyone who is interested posted to see if anything happens...if nothing does, i would say its very likely that it was a virus of some sort... whether you want to call it a virus, or just a corrupter of programmed space, your call :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Appreciate the update! hope all's well! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want a nice display! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want a new PowerBook... I hate mine. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.