OS X not what I expected

Reaction score
This is a sad but true story.
When I installed windows 7 on my work computer and logged in for the first time, the "setting up desktop... " window popped up. A normal occurrence... But it was in the Windows 95 theme. Then it flickered into the new Aero theme :O !

I guess beauty is only skin deep...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is a sad but true story.
When I installed windows 7 on my work computer and logged in for the first time, the "setting up desktop... " window popped up. A normal occurrence... But it was in the Windows 95 theme. Then it flickered into the new Aero theme :O !

I guess beauty is only skin deep...

That would totally scare me like when I was a kid and saw a scary movie and had a nightmare! :D When I first installed Vista on a Non Supported (No Aero Support) PC, I remember some very old looking screen also.

No, Linux is perfect. :p

Almost! Ubuntu and Open Suse are close.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4 GHz 2gig RAM 320gig HD
...and that's different to Windows 7 how? (I have Win 7 BTW). Because of the libraries? You do realize that OS X has had the concept of 'smart folders' for the best part of a decade, yes?

I'm not being defensive or criticizing you, I'm just not sure where you think the difference is. I think most people recognize (even die-hard Windows fans) that Win7 takes its design cues from OS X, not the other way around.

I think that's part of the problem, as you say W7 takes its designs cues from OS X but then gives it a nicer set of clothes IMO. I wanted it to be a very different experience but found it far to similar but in a more dowdy manner. That then just leaves the hardware and as nice as the Apple hardware is apart from the iMac which you can see the Pro and Mini are for the most part unseen and you are paying a premium for something unseen. I hate all Laptops so don't even include them in my scenario and I don't like the shiny screen on the iMac. That's not a criticism of Apple but PC makers in general - shiny screens look nice but are a pain in all but dim light.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
JP-ME.. It sounds like you might be in Column or list view, and don't like it. Maybe Icon view is what you are looking for. As lifeisabeach and others have said, the filesystem of folders inside folders is something that is no different in either OS to any major extent.

I absolutely was as I like list view, quirky maybe but I do find it easier to see my files/folders. It was all the drilling down that I found a pain, I think I had gone across three columns before getting to the file I wanted - a bit like a Russian Doll. With W7 apart from going into system files there is usually only one click needed from list view into the actual folder contents.

It could be that my experience was soured somewhat by the Mini being faulty and all that that entailed. This was my first experience of Apple hardware and bang for buck it was also the most expensive PC I have purchased. Given Apple's reputation for build quality I almost expected it to unwrap itself set itself up and make tea into the bargain. What I got instead was video drop-out from the word go i.e. screen kept turning to snow, just like a TV tuned to no station. On the plus side the Apple store really were good about returning the product and giving a full refund.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How is the folder/file structure different in Windows 7 vs OS X? I quite frankly don't understand why you think it is. If anything, OS X is cleaner because most apps are in a special folder called a "package" that essentially is an auto-run folder, like an auto-run CD. No need to root through the folder to find the program, though you can browse it if you want to. Perhaps you are using a view option in Finder that is confusing you. As for the fonts and folders… they don't look dated to me at all. The whole Aero Glass look in Windows Vista/7 was thoroughly lifted from OS X's Aqua UI. Microsoft simply went hog wild with it. Besides, it's not like the icons and fonts aren't customizable.
Panic - CandyBar 3 - Change and Organize Your Mac OS X Icons and Dock
Iconfactory : Freeware : Agua
Iconfactory : Freeware : Float
10 Beautiful Elegant Replacement Docks for your Mac

Now that starts to make sense - the links I mean. At last something pretty to look at. Now that sort of option may just make me reconsider my view of OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I absolutely was as I like list view, quirky maybe but I do find it easier to see my files/folders. It was all the drilling down that I found a pain, I think I had gone across three columns before getting to the file I wanted - a bit like a Russian Doll. With W7 apart from going into system files there is usually only one click needed from list view into the actual folder contents.

That's column view you are using. List view works exactly the same as in Windows. I'm not a big fan of column view myself, though it has its uses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that starts to make sense - the links I mean. At last something pretty to look at. Now that sort of option may just make me reconsider my view of OS X

OS X is highly moddable, and there are many apps to further enhance the OS to one's liking. You can even manually swap out the icons up in the menu bar for custom ones if you know how. Most any graphic element in any application and really the whole UI of the OS can be changed… it's simply a matter of browsing the app's package and finding it. You used to be able to actually install themes to use something besides the brushed metal look, although Apple really locked down some things and that's not so simple to do now. There are still themes out there, but you have to dig a bit. MacThemes.net isn't actively maintained it seems, but the forums are very active there with links to new themes and the like.
MacThemes Forum

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the issue I have been wrestling with is that you need a cogent reason to buy a new PC or change to another type of PC.

Example - I bought a Panasonic DVDR because I wanted to record TV programmes and play DVDs.... good reason to buy product.

I purchased a Mac Mini because I wanted a different and if possible a better experience than Windows.

Windows 7 = good OS

OS X = good OS

Strip away all the hype and is one really better than the other? I think they are very much of a much-ness.

That then leaves the hardware – look inside a Mac or a PC and you will find very similar if not the same components. The Mac certainly looks better and is reputedly built to better standards though in my case the Mac Mini was the first piece of faulty hardware of any electrical item that I can ever remember buying.... unlucky?.....possibly.

If you take what I have written at face value then you can understand why I was disappointed with OS X. I was looking for the killer blow to swing it for me and all I got was a slap with a damp towel.

I think the above is a fair reflection of how I see things at present though that might change when I get over my disappointment.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Praise be...... I have found the application Right Zoom. This is just great as OS X windows are now behaving..... well like Windows!

I have heard so much guff and psycho babble as to why floating windows are better, how the green button is more intuitive and it's what makes OS X great. My answer to that is "what guff" it might be intuitive if it was consistent but I have found one never knows just what behaviour and window one will get when pressing the green button. Sometimes it gives you a full screen as in MS Windows and sometimes it doesn't then at other times it actually changes the behaviour of the app. Take calculator as an example, pressing the green button changes it from an ordinary calculator into scientific. Now how is that intuitive or consistent?

It was one of the things that was really turning me off OS X. I have heard people say what's the point of filling your screen with white background. Well my eyesight isn't as sharp as it used to be so I like my text quite large. I want my Word docs to fill the screen at 150% and I like my browser up at 125% not some little window filling on corner of my screen so I have to squint to see what's there.

I'm begining to warm to OS X a bit more now I'm getting it to work like "Windows" :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Praise be...... I have found the application Right Zoom. This is just great as OS X windows are now behaving..... well like Windows!

I have heard so much guff and psycho babble as to why floating windows are better, how the green button is more intuitive and it's what makes OS X great. My answer to that is "what guff" it might be intuitive if it was consistent but I have found one never knows just what behaviour and window one will get when pressing the green button. Sometimes it gives you a full screen as in MS Windows and sometimes it doesn't then at other times it actually changes the behaviour of the app. Take calculator as an example, pressing the green button changes it from an ordinary calculator into scientific. Now how the **** is that intuitive or consistent?

It was one of the things that was really turning me off OS X. I have heard people say what's the point of filling your screen with white background. Well my eyesight isn't as sharp as it used to be so I like my text quite large. I want my Word docs to fill the screen at 150% and I like my browser up at 125% not some little window filling on corner of my screen so I have to squint to see what's there.

I'm begining to warm to OS X a bit more now I'm getting it to work like "Windows" :Cool:

so funny.. if you want it to "work like Windows".. why in the world are you using a Mac? lol

There is an OS out there that acts identical to Windows, a perfect match… it's… wait for it…. WINDOWS! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I have heard so much guff and psycho babble as to why floating windows are better, how the green button is more intuitive and it's what makes OS X great. My answer to that is "what guff" it might be intuitive if it was consistent but I have found one never knows just what behaviour and window one will get when pressing the green button. Sometimes it gives you a full screen as in MS Windows and sometimes it doesn't then at other times it actually changes the behaviour of the app. Take calculator as an example, pressing the green button changes it from an ordinary calculator into scientific. Now how the **** is that intuitive or consistent?

You're right. It is inconsistent, and one of my personal quibbles. I'd rather all apps have their windows maximize to the content, not to the screen. If you are working with multiple windows to move content between apps, it's much easier this way. In any event, you are finding that making things work to your liking is doable.

You really should get acquainted with OS X's Universal Access features (found in the System Preferences). There are options to zoom in on the screen with hot keys, and to enhance the contrast. Also check out TinkerTool. It will let you change the default system fonts. Be aware that changing some fonts may have unintended consequences, especially if you set them too large.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
so funny.. if you want it to "work like Windows".. why in the world are you using a Mac? lol

There is an OS out there that acts identical to Windows, a perfect match… it's… wait for it…. WINDOWS! :)
Yup. Mac OS X isn't for everybody, and as an imitation of Windows, it'll always be a poor stand-in.

If you have a Mac but don't want to use Mac OS X, wipe it and load Windows, or sell it while it still has value.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I think you might have missed the irony in my last line??????????

The thread is about my disappointment with OS X and this is one of the things I'm not keen on. As I say my eyesight is not what it used to be so I like my screen to be full size. For me maximise minimise is a good option and one I wanted to be carried over from Windows. Given that someone has gone to the trouble of writing an app for this it appears I'm not on my own.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right. It is inconsistent, and one of my personal quibbles. I'd rather all apps have their windows maximize to the content, not to the screen. If you are working with multiple windows to move content between apps, it's much easier this way. In any event, you are finding that making things work to your liking is doable.

You really should get acquainted with OS X's Universal Access features (found in the System Preferences). There are options to zoom in on the screen with hot keys, and to enhance the contrast. Also check out TinkerTool. It will let you change the default system fonts. Be aware that changing some fonts may have unintended consequences, especially if you set them too large.

Yes thanks for that tip. I do find some of the fonts quite small in OS X.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup. Mac OS X isn't for everybody, and as an imitation of Windows, it'll always be a poor stand-in.

If you have a Mac but don't want to use Mac OS X, wipe it and load Windows, or sell it while it still has value.

No I don't want to load Windows on a Mac. I just want to put a bit of polish on OS X here and there and like anything else in life you can always take pluses from other things and apply them to something new. For me being able to maximise/minimise is just such a plus which is why I'm pleased with that app and it works so well too.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not trying to stir the pot here but am curious. You took back your Mac and got a refund because it would not work on any monitor you owned without snow and picture drop outs. How are you testing any of this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
JP-ME, it sounds to me like part of the problem is that on one hand you wanted OS X to be "totally different" and on the other hand you seem discouraged that it doesn't work like Windows.

There are LOTS of ways to modify your Mac to make it enough like Windows to make it more comfortable for you. Discovering Right Zoom and the Finder's View options are just a couple of ways you can do that. It's easy enough to change system and application icons to whatever you like. In fact, customizing my Mac is one of my favorite ways to pass break time.

It sounds like you reached a conclusion without exploring these common ways of customizing OS X to your liking. Think of how much else you're missing out on.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not trying to stir the pot here but am curious. You took back your Mac and got a refund because it would not work on any monitor you owned without snow and picture drop outs. How are you testing any of this?

If you look back a few posts you will find you answer????

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
JP-ME, it sounds to me like part of the problem is that on one hand you wanted OS X to be "totally different" and on the other hand you seem discouraged that it doesn't work like Windows.

There are LOTS of ways to modify your Mac to make it enough like Windows to make it more comfortable for you. Discovering Right Zoom and the Finder's View options are just a couple of ways you can do that. It's easy enough to change system and application icons to whatever you like. In fact, customizing my Mac is one of my favorite ways to pass break time.

It sounds like you reached a conclusion without exploring these common ways of customizing OS X to your liking. Think of how much else you're missing out on.

You are not altogether wrong in what you say. I did want OS X to be different but different in a good way and not one that was causing frustration. I think you have to look at it in the round though. I was battling to keep video on my monitor which was dropping out with monotonous regularity thwarting even the most basic of tasks and it made matters worse that the OS was not behaving like I thought it would in some respects. Now I'm sure many will agree that if you have heard such great things about a product and then suffer a bad experience it does cloud ones judgment somewhat. I opted for a refund because as good as the Apple store was about returning the product I didn't have the time or the energy to risk another faulty product and a 103 mile trip back to my nearest store. I haven't ruled out getting another Mini but I just wanted to reappraise my decision and consider if I will be happy with a Mac.

I do feel somewhat uplifted now I have been pointed in the direction of the "tweaks bin".

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you look back a few posts you will find you answer????

Sorry, but I looked a few posts back and find nothing - although, I have been accused of being semi-blind at times.

Post 24 says you returned it and got your money back, #28 you're still talking about your disappointment in purchasing it and then in post 29 you're experimenting with the OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.