Opinions needed - iPad vs. Kindle vs. 13"MacBook

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks everyone for your opinions so far!

Are there any advantage/disadvantages in title selections and price, ease of downloads between the different formats, etc?

I think you are referring here to sources for buying books. If so, there is no difference (other than an iPad can run the Kindle APP and purchase from the Kindle store, but the Kindle can't purchase from the iBook store in iTunes).

Amazon generally has a bigger selection and better prices, but it makes zero difference whether you use a Kindle or an iPad (or an iPhone for that matter) to buy from them.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 max (16-inch, 2021) & 2016 iPad Pro
I think you are referring here to sources for buying books. If so, there is no difference (other than an iPad can run the Kindle APP and purchase from the Kindle store, but the Kindle can't purchase from the iBook store in iTunes).

Amazon generally has a bigger selection and better prices, but it makes zero difference whether you use a Kindle or an iPad (or an iPhone for that matter) to buy from them.

Yes, that is what I was referring to. Thanks.

C

chas_m

Thanks everyone for your opinions so far!

Are there any advantage/disadvantages in title selections and price, ease of downloads between the different formats, etc?

Yes, the iPad has a huge advantage as it can buy from many different bookstores, whereas the Kindle (et al) can only buy from their own.

As for price, selection, ease of downloads ... very little difference. Kindle, having been around longer, has better selection ... for now ... but that won't last.

Reaction score
and you can't really compare those three as they aren't made to serve the same purpose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You may be correct in your assessment (I don't know for sure, never having used a Kindle). But, you don't say how much experience you have reading on the iPad either.

I won and heavily use both the Kindle and the iPad. I will also agree the Kindle is a much better e-reader than the iPad. The iPad isn't bad, but you really have to ask yourself what is its primary purpose, if she wants the best e-reader get the Kindle, if she wants the best tablet computer, get an iPad.

I mean seriously, the biggest problem with the iPad as a high-volume e-reader is its weight. The thing weighs about the same as 50 kindles and is much bigger. Holding it up for long periods of time to read is simply uncomfortable. And then there's the battery life difference. Kindle can last for weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I love the iPad, but let's not kid ourselves in trying to say it's a better serious e-reader than the Kindle...at least in its current iteration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes, the iPad has a huge advantage as it can buy from many different bookstores, whereas the Kindle (et al) can only buy from their own.

As for price, selection, ease of downloads ... very little difference. Kindle, having been around longer, has better selection ... for now ... but that won't last.

Well that's not necessarily true chaz. The Kindle supports many formats and as a long as the bookstore sells a non-DRM book in a format supported, you can put it on the Kindle. This includes PDF books.

I'd also throw out there that I have as of yet not really run into any book that wasn't in the Kindle Store that I had to go elsewhere for, the same certainly cannot be said of the iBook Store which honestly has been a failure.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that's not necessarily true chaz. The Kindle supports many formats and as a long as the bookstore sells a non-DRM book in a format supported, you can put it on the Kindle. This includes PDF books.

I'd also throw out there that I have as of yet not really run into any book that wasn't in the Kindle Store that I had to go elsewhere for, the same certainly cannot be said of the iBook Store which honestly has been a failure.

Maybe a little off subject, but what I would really like to see is the ability to buy from the Kindle store using iBooks (doubt we'll ever see this). I really prefer iBooks, but can't beat selection and price (at least on the titles I am interested in) from Amazon. :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Maybe a little off subject, but what I would really like to see is the ability to buy from the Kindle store using iBooks (doubt we'll ever see this). I really prefer iBooks, but can't beat selection and price (at least on the titles I am interested in) from Amazon. :)

Me too. I like the layout of iBooks and the appearance of a real book. While the Sepia is ok, really wish it also had more options for background/text colors as the Kindle/Nook apps.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had actually quit buying from the Kindle store completely, holding off and waiting for iBook store to really get rolling. But when iBook store put up the Peachpit line of books and I started comparing prices on the titles I wanted, I caved. I got all three volumes of Scott Kelby's Digital Photography series for not much more than iBooks wanted for a single volume.

Reaction score
kindle - ipad - macbook

well, i have all 3, the kindle dx and ipad were generous christmas gifts, kindle dx last year, ipad this year.

i have kindle for mac on the MB, and want to download kindle for ipad, but have hesitated so far. i am trying to figure out a way to keep from having to import ALL the books i have purchased on the kindle to the ipad (to save space & i don't want to delete any just yet) but have not found any info on if that can be done or not. i just want to download specific books to the ipad, not the whole enchilada.

anyone with experience doing that, i would be grateful for the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Use the MacBook unless there is an overwhelming justification for another device. Is there something she can't do now on the MacBook, that she needs to do now, and can only do on a tablet-like device? Save the cash and invest some precious metals or stuff some money in your 401k. ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just download the Kindle app for iPad. It is not going to import anything unless you tell it to. It will provide a list of all the books in your Kindle library - but that's it. It downloads no book unless you click on it to download it.

Beside that, you can delete kindle books whenever you want. Amazon keeps a list of all the books you have bought and they are available for download to any of your devices that have the kindle app at any time.

The number of ebooks on an iPad shouldn't even be a consideration of space saving for 99.9% of people. Their individual size is insignificant.

Reaction score
ah ha. they (ipad & kindle folks) apparently figured this out long ago. just like you said, you can download only the books you want. i just assumed that it would eat up lots of space, thanks for setting me straight on that.

now the issue is i have to give the kindle and ipac equal time and attention.
i have not been outside in the sunshine yet with the ipad, so can't give an opinion on how that works compared to the kindle outside, which i find excellent.

love this macforum,
jsa

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have a Kindle (really love my iPad) but I can almost guarantee the Kindle will do better in direct sunlight. This isn't an issue for me; generally the last thing I want to do with my outside time is to read. But, if reading in direct sunlight is a major thing for you, you will be better served by the Kindle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
I haven't read the whole thread, so this may have been mentioned, but if your wife wants a reader then get her a Kindle. As far as being a reader the Kindle blows the iPad away. The battery last longer, it's designed to be looked at for hours on end without causing eye strain, and it's lighter/more portable. The only benefit the iPad has is that it is back-lit, which means you won't need a light to read it in dark rooms (newer Kindles may have addressed this).

If she also wants something to check email, listen to music, watch movies, play games, etc. then go with the iPad. Remember, the iPad wasn't designed as a reader. It was designed as a portable entertainment hub. The Kindle is designed specifically for reading....so if she wants a reader then get the Kindle.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 max (16-inch, 2021) & 2016 iPad Pro
Assuming she's done her own research and concluded that the Kindle is what she wants -- as someone else said, you're getting away cheap.

But I'm still going to argue for the iPad because it is sooooooo much more versatile. That Kindle is going to get maybe (MAYBE) a year's use and then tossed in a drawer. Seen it happen over and over and over again.

The iPad can BE a Kindle (free Kindle app) AND a Nook (free Nook app) plus iBooks plus GoodReader plus ... well I think I've made my point. It's like buying all the eBook readers out there in one device that can STILL do so much more.

But again, if she's done her homework, don't second-guess her. Get her what she wants, then get yourself an iPad. I'll be interested to hear what happens after, say, a month. :)

Sorry, I haven't checked this thread in quite a while.

Yes, I got her what she wanted.....a Kindle. She loved it and had used it a lot. You're right about tossing it in about a year. She wanted the Kindle Fire. Got her the Fire for Christmas and an iPad for me. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
The Kindle is a cute inexpensive toy, paperback book sized, for my grand kids, I have purchased a number of them for that reason. I prefer to read on an iPad because the size and clarity are so much better. I get about a week's reading mixed in with the occasional movie and web surfing out of a charge.

Of course no MacBook of any size is in the competition as a reader. I have a 15" MB Pro and an 11" MB Air and couldn't dream of reading on either one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Of course no MacBook of any size is in the competition as a reader. I have a 15" MB Pro and an 11" MB Air and couldn't dream of reading on either one.

What do you think millions of people were doing with their computers for years & years & years BEFORE the iPad and other tablet devices were invented??;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I read the Bible and other books on my iMac daily. Never had an issue. I use the iPad to read while laying down or away from home.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.