?? on transferring old Macbook to new

Reaction score
Correct place to post? If not, pls advise. We are about to transfer from an old MB Pro to a new one. We have choices for what folders to bring over, as follows. (1) Apps (2) test (3) Admin (4) A user file (wife's name) (5) Other files/folders (6) System/Network. I am hesitant to transfer System/Network, have no idea what "test" is, and don't think we have any apps that won't be on the new machine in, perhaps, a newer version. What would anyone suggest I leave on the old machine? We could not transfer because we ran out of room, so what should I delete from the transfer list? Thanks. john

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
You may find some help by viewing one of Posts by Rod, a member here:

The following links may also aid you in your endeavours:

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@jklingel - John

If the above doesn't meet requirements or you need more specific advice, please post back.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
We could not transfer because we ran out of room
Are you saying the the "newer" computer has less storage than the old one?
I think we need to know what you are transferring to and from and how you are transferring.
There are lots of options.

OP
J
Reaction score
Are you saying the the "newer" computer has less storage than the old one?
I think we need to know what you are transferring to and from and how you are transferring.
There are lots of options.
First, thank you all for the replies. I am reading the links above and trying to get this sorted out. The old machine is 10-yr-old MB Pro; the new one is also a MBP. Both machines have a terabyte of storage. I think our best bet is to call Apple and do our Personal Session. The huge files on the old machine are Admin and a user-named-one, and I don't know enough to know what is in them of interest.

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
Got ahold of Apple. It turns out that we were just trying to move too much data, as the machines were telling us. We left the Admin folder on the old Mac temporarily and are working on deleting unnecesary info from both machines. We also ordered a 2 TB Lacie drive. Should be good to go now. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.