On my iPhone Notes Disappeared

Macuser1200

Reaction score
My phone recently was running out of storage and at the same time all of the on my iPhone notes disappeared (not iCloud). The phone backed up to iCloud overnight that day so the latest backup will be in this state. I have freed up lots of space but the notes haven’t come back. If I search on spotlight the notes come up so they’re still there just not linked to the notes app (if I try to open from search nothing happens). The search function within notes doesn’t work for them. Any tips/suggestions on how I can retrieve the notes from my iPhone? Thanks

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I know this sounds trite but; have you tried turning the iPhone off and back on? It's surprising what this can fix.

Do you have a Mac computer that you can check the contents of Notes?
If so, if your notes are all there check in iCloud on your iPhone that Notes is being synced.

You could also try turning of iCloud (Log out then log back on).
Or you could also Restore the iPhone from a previous backup but that would be a sort of last resort.

So check and get back to us.

OP
M

Macuser1200

Reaction score
Hi yes tried switching off :) the missing notes are on my phone notes not iCloud ones (stupid I know). They’re clearly still on the phone but the running low on memory issue has broken something like the link between the note and the notes app. It just seems odd they still show in spotlight search (but nothing happens if you try to open from there it just opens notes not the actual note)

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Do you sync/backup your iPhone to a Mac computer or iCloud?
I backup my iPhone to my MacBook Pro via cable once a week and automatically every night to iCloud wirelessly.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might also try checking Notes at iCloud.com to see if they are all present there.
If not then I suspect your iPhone is not syncing with iCloud for some reason.
If that is the case signing out of iCloud then signing back in seems to be the suggested fix.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.