• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

OMG, when did ebay start taking part of my final selling price?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I do have a craigslist which is great makes it very easy organize my listings, I have never seen anything about fees, I do know in certain parts of the U.S. Craigslist charges for certain things mainly employment postings. As far as paypal goes I don't see how it could work on CL, Everyone knows as a rule No shipping on craigslist. Cash face to face.

When I logged into my Craig's List account yesterday...the far rightmost column had a heading called "fees". Maybe as you suggest, it's only for employment listings...or maybe it may be something we may see in the future for all listings.

How would Paypal work for Craig's List???...maybe not for paying for items (face to face...cash sales)...but it could be for Craig's List fees. Such as:

- a listing fee
- different fees for how long your postings will be active (1 day, 3 days, 7 days, etc.)
- charge for # of photos used
- who knows...just like a text message on a cell phone...CL could charge by the number of letters/words used in a posting.

Believe me...when it comes to making money...and dreaming up various fees...folks can be pretty creative!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
I am confused about the complaints of final value fee. I have been selling occasional items on eBay for many years now, and though it has been a bit over a year since the last one, my memory is of always having a final value fee. The only change I see is lowered insertion fees coupled with a flat 10% FVF. Used to be insertion fees were higher, and FVFs were on a sliding scale starting at 5% and moving up to 10%.

I have a bunch more stuff accumulated and in process of being organized for sale. I have good records of previous sales for tax purposes, so I will be able to do a direct comparison, total fees to total fees.

OP
T
Reaction score
I am confused about the complaints of final value fee. I have been selling occasional items on eBay for many years now, and though it has been a bit over a year since the last one, my memory is of always having a final value fee. The only change I see is lowered insertion fees coupled with a flat 10% FVF. Used to be insertion fees were higher, and FVFs were on a sliding scale starting at 5% and moving up to 10%.

I have a bunch more stuff accumulated and in process of being organized for sale. I have good records of previous sales for tax purposes, so I will be able to do a direct comparison, total fees to total fees.

My original complaint is that I did not know that ebay changed their fees; specifically, I did not know that they now take a percentage off what ever you sell. So when I got an invoice for more than the insertion fee, I was shocked.

But ebay never had a final value fee charge; unless, (i think) you set a buy it now price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
My original complaint is that I did not know that ebay changed their fees; specifically, I did not know that they now take a percentage off what ever you sell. So when I got an invoice for more than the insertion fee, I was shocked.

But ebay never had a final value fee charge; unless, (i think) you set a buy it now price.

ebay has had a final value fee charge from the first day I started using ebay more than 6 years ago. Fees can change depending on prices and things you put in the auction. When I first started on ebay, I believe the fee was just 3% of the total selling price(if I remember correctly). Since then, almost all fee %'s went up, including paypal fees.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am confused about the complaints of final value fee. I have been selling occasional items on eBay for many years now, and though it has been a bit over a year since the last one, my memory is of always having a final value fee.

Yes they did...and previously the "final value fee" was based on the selling price of the item (I think that the % went down as the price of the item went up, depending on what "value range" it fell into). I think that the deal now is it's more of flat rate...regardless of the selling price...and so a flat 9% final value fee may be higher for some lower cost items...but lower for higher priced items (automobiles)...due to the $50 maximum final value fee limit.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes they did...and previously the "final value fee" was based on the selling price of the item (I think that the % went down as the price of the item went up, depending on what "value range" it fell into). I think that the deal now is it's more of flat rate...regardless of the selling price...and so a flat 9% final value fee may be higher for some lower cost items...but lower for higher priced items (automobiles)...due to the $50 maximum final value fee limit.

- Nick

Yes, higher for lower cost items. And a series of lower price items really cuts into the money coming in margin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Yes, higher for lower cost items. And a series of lower price items really cuts into the money coming in margin.

Big time, Last week I got my hands on a bunch of brand new iPhone 4 bumpers sealed. I sold them all on ebay individually total sales came out to $113 for 8 listings, total final fees were $22 I didn't even look at what Paypal took.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
...I didn't even look...

Thanks for pretty much arguing my point. People do things without caring, and get mad when something goes wrong. Doesn't make sense to me.
You could calculate all your fees down to the penny before ebay/paypal ever send you invoices....if you cared that is.
I still have my "eBay Management" binder with a listing of sites to sell things from, as well of items that sell well/the most, and I used to calculate the total fees of everything combined down to the penny for a whole month's worth of sales. I would always end up either right on or accidentally putting something extra in that I didn't have to pay for due to discounts.
Only if you cared...

Still, I wish ebay would go back in time to the 2004-2005 years...those were the best imo :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Thanks for pretty much arguing my point. People do things without caring, and get mad when something goes wrong. Doesn't make sense to me.
You could calculate all your fees down to the penny before ebay/paypal ever send you invoices....if you cared that is.
I still have my "eBay Management" binder with a listing of sites to sell things from, as well of items that sell well/the most, and I used to calculate the total fees of everything combined down to the penny for a whole month's worth of sales. I would always end up either right on or accidentally putting something extra in that I didn't have to pay for due to discounts.
Only if you cared...

Still, I wish ebay would go back in time to the 2004-2005 years...those were the best imo :)

I'm not mad nor am I arguing your point, I agree I wish ebay did go back to the old school days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm not mad nor am I arguing your point, I agree I wish ebay did go back to the old school days.

Mad? nooo...I would have guessed happy...as always:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You gotta forgive him ... he comes from Rocky River!

Reaction score
eBay has always had a final value fee, but back then it was low (around 3-4%). now, it's hard for anyone to sell on eBay nowadays. they jacked up their final value fees to 8-12%! they tried to mask their outrageous final value fees by lowering their listing fees. i remember there was a protest about the new fees, but of course, eBay is a monopoly so they can do whatever they want...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
I don't use eBay to sell anymore because as a seller its too much hassle. If the buyer doesn't pay they will refund the FVF but only once.

So if you are unlucky and get hit with multiple buyers who don't pay then you end up paying eBay for a lot of hassle.

Add in the fact that they put a hold on money for certain items until the buyer leaves feedback (they don't seem to grasp the concept that not every buyer does) and don't allow seller to post negative feedback (but still allow the buyer to do so)

Ultimately its too much hassle and is discriminatory towards seller.

If you Google eBay problems there's thousands of people complaining about the direction they have taken.

Reaction score
As far as i know, ebay always charged a final value fee. If shipping isnt priced correctly, it can become expensive for the seller

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.