Old photos from my iPhone are seen as new by my iMac

Reaction score
Every time I connect my iPhone directly to my iPad and look at its photos in the Photo app, it finds “new photos” which really are very old duplicate photos. And not just one duplicate, but several.

I have iCloud photos turned on in my Photos preferences with "Download Originals to this Mac" checked.

My iPad is connected directly to my Mac as well, and finder sees it, but Photos doesn't see it. (For some reason when I'm looking at them with my finder right now, they aren't showing anything but a blank window. That's new)

I just took a photo with both my iPad and iPhone. The one taken with my phone showed up a minute later. But not the one taken with my iPad. Checking my iPad settings, "iCloud Photos" is turned on. The only setting difference I see is my iPad has "Optimize iPad Storage" and my iPhone doesn't. Transfer to Mac is automatic, and neither device has "Keep Originals" checked.

I want my iPad and iPhone to have the same photos as my iMac. I don't want Photos to think there are a bunch of duplicates that it falsely doesn't think are on my Mac.

Oh, my Mac has 20,209 Photos, 201 Videos (4 items on This Mac Only). (I wonder what those 4 items are).

Maybe I should try again after today's MacOS upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.