• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Official: Apple's MacBook and MacBook Pro quietly updated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It isn't that huge of an upgrade for the average Macbook user. Gamers will obviously enjoy the updated graphics card, but a bump in processor speed and higher storage capacity isn't going to make current owners want to upgrade in droves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 (Late 2004) 1.2GHz 12.1" & Powerbook G4 1.33GHz 15"
posted in another thread, but i didnt receive a reply:

I bought a black macbook on friday (I really needed it then so couldnt wait).

Im not great with tech specs, so could someone post the differences and what they mean in the real world between the old and the new? I see a slight processor bump, which is self explanatory. What was the max upgradable RAM for the old macbooks - I see now that its 4GB - was it 3 for the old ones?

Also, what does the different graphics processor mean compared to the old ones? What couldnt you do on the old ones that you can do on the new ones? I dont use any high level graphics programs or gaming - I do play poker via VMware.

Thanks for any help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
It isn't that huge of an upgrade for the average Macbook user. Gamers will obviously enjoy the updated graphics card, but a bump in processor speed and higher storage capacity isn't going to make current owners want to upgrade in droves.

Well it's never been like that in the past either - upgrades are ALWAYS incremental. The only real reason to get your hopes up is for a new design since anything else will just be a bump.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
but if this x1300 is actually capable of palying games 9from what i have seen it is) then you can max out the macbook for about a grand and it is better than the MBP on paper even thought it is missing some of the nifty little touches like the backlit keyboard.

's an X3100 from intel, not an X1300 from ATi (which is, by the way, a complete piece of garbage). The GF8600m GT in the MBP is *significantly* faster than the X3100. Or the X1300.

JoyceMac, the upgrades to the new MacBooks that I know of are:
-Faster CPU; as you said this is pretty self-explanatory
-Faster Bus Speed; speeds up data transfers between the RAM and the CPU; on the old MB it operated at 667MHz, on the new one it is at 800MHz. The net effect of this on real-world performance is basically nil in this case.
-Faster graphics; the X3100 is more capable of 3D acceleration (for games, certain other applications) than the GMA950 is. Either one is fine for 2D (like what you're doing) and for things like OSX's GPU-accelerated graphics effects.
-More RAM (from 2GB officially/3GB in reality for the old model to 4GB for the new model); this can be a big plus if you're doing photo or video work, high end CAD, etc. Going from 2GB to 4 also makes OSX noticeably less sluggish and unresponsive for day-to-day stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Santa Rosa yields a faster (800MHz) Front-side bus speed...but Apple still uses 667MHz memory, so that doesn't really help much.

The 4GB chipset is a nice step up, though. Finally, a Core 2 Duo MacBook that supports as much memory as the 32-bit G4 towers did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 (Late 2004) 1.2GHz 12.1" & Powerbook G4 1.33GHz 15"
Geeky1 - thanks for your reply - very much appreciated...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
i see they have been upgraded in the states but they haven't yet been upgraded in the UK, is apple offering some sort of upgrade service for people who recently bought their macbooks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
not exactly the update i was looking for but its still nice
a macbook with 4gb memory and upgraded video? makes for less reasons to get a macbook pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have more than one Mac!
Yeah, am sitting here in the UK at 5pm local time and still no updates to our MacBooks... any theories as to why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
They won't upgrade you, but you could eat the restocking fee and take yours back if you bought it in the last 2 weeks.

This is a pretty mild upgrade and one I wouldn't even want to pay the restocking fee for unless you're absolutely dying for more disk space and processor speed. The graphics won't be very helpful on the Macbooks, at least not for hardcore gamers: don't try playing Bioshock on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it is the possobility for more RAM that gets me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
still would many of you guys be THAT bothered about this update i.e would you go out of your to upgrade your macbook to it if you could?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fleurya i sent you a pm with some further question's i have

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Well it's never been like that in the past either - upgrades are ALWAYS incremental. The only real reason to get your hopes up is for a new design since anything else will just be a bump.

True. I meant it wasn't a big enough upgrade for people who have a now previous generation Macbook. This upgrade might be incentive for CoreDuo owners though, and especially PowerPC owners.

I'm waiting to see what Macworld 2008 brings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
True. I meant it wasn't a big enough upgrade for people who have a now previous generation Macbook. This upgrade might be incentive for CoreDuo owners though, and especially PowerPC owners.

I'm waiting to see what Macworld 2008 brings.

Yeah, I'm still holding out for an ultraportable ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core2Duo 2.2Ghz 250GB HDD 1.0GB [ON ORDER] ; iPhone 8GB
Now if anyone can point me to a good source to upgrade the memory to 4gb for my macbook I ordered this morning I would appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can someone explain more about this restocking fee or whatever that means is there a way for me to upgrade?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.