"Office 2011 for Mac" vs. "Parallels 8 w/Windows 7"

Reaction score
I have Parallels and Fusion and find neither one that resource intensive. However, both programs do require a bit of close management as to memory and graphics allocation. I usually recommend members try out the free VirtualBox from Oracle first as that may be all they need.

Office 2013: I don't have a copy but the reviews I have read state that it's a fancied up version of Office 2010 (which I do have) and not to bother with the update. You use the word "complete" when referring to Office 2013; complete in what way? Mac Office 2011 includes Word, PP, Excel, and Outlook. I guess you can buy the version of Office 2013 that also includes Access and Publisher (Business edition) but will be almost double the price.

Anyway, it's up to you. I will agree that the Windows version of Office is more elegantly done than the Mac Office version.

Thank you for the prompt and informative reply. I work at a hospital that is a MS Gold partner, so I can purchase either MS Office 2013 professional or MS Office for Mac 2011 for $10(!!). But I can only purchase one or the other. So I could have the entire MS Office suite less Visio and MS Project (and additional $14 each) for very little. I will do some more research, including looking at virtualbox, as you suggest.

This is my first Mac and I appreciate your kind help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Wow, if you can buy Office 2013 for that price, don't hesitate especially if it's the better edition which includes Publisher, Outlook, and several other apps that I forget. If you were to purchase Publisher or Outlook alone, the individual street cost would be around $120 or more for each.

And VirtualBox will run Office without a problem. Of course you'll also need a full install copy of Windows. I recommend Windows 7 as I'm not too fond of Windows 8 or 8.1. ;)

Reaction score
Parallels does a nice job of running Windows on my iMac, but the downside are the frequent Windows updates that slow me down. That''s why I migrated to Apple in the first place. Looking forward to ditching it completely.

Reaction score
Wow, if you can buy Office 2013 for that price, don't hesitate especially if it's the better edition which includes Publisher, Outlook, and several other apps that I forget. If you were to purchase Publisher or Outlook alone, the individual street cost would be around $120 or more for each.

And VirtualBox will run Office without a problem. Of course you'll also need a full install copy of Windows. I recommend Windows 7 as I'm not too fond of Windows 8 or 8.1. ;)

Thanks very much for the reply (late in my response as I was away for a few days)! I agree with you regarding Windows 8. I loaded it on an old laptop and that's what pushed me to buying a Mac. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.