Odd result when increasing volume...

Reaction score
Greetings

Now this really odd. I was trying to increase the volume of a YouTube video and I got the following pop-up. The volume did not increase at all. I am running a mid 2015 MacBook pro. OS is Sierra. If anyone has an idea how to eliminate this I would be grateful. The only thing that I have been doing today was finding out how to write 'one half' as a fraction and I did jnvestigate keyboard viewer and play around with that. I have restarted the machine. Problem still exists....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 18.33.09.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 18.33.09.png
    576.1 KB · Views: 14

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If the attachment is the popup being referred to...that's the "Inspector" in Chrome...or the "Inspect Element" in Safari.

How are you turning up the volume of the You Tube videos? If using keyboard commands...you may be using a shortcut command that brings up these tools.

- Nick

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Hi Nick

Thanks for your response. I was adjusting the volume by hitting the F12 key. If I hit the F10 key, the page would fly off to upper left of screen.
After much head scratching, I went Keyboard in System Preferences. Previously, I had ticked the box at the bottom (granted, I didn't really know what I was doing....)
Your response triggered a thought process and I went back to the the same page and un-ticked the box. Lo and behold, the volume key works as expected.
Funny how the old grey cells work - or not - when you get old.
So thanks for getting me to look again at the problem.
Arrow on keyboard settings.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That'll get you each time. However if you want to keep that checkbox checked, you just have to hold down the FN (Function) key to get the special thing you want to do.

I use the F1-F12 keys a lot everyday, so that's how I have it set up and use FN when I need to skip music or increase/decrease volume.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.