Odd question re: Macbook Pro A1286 keyboard replacement

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't think I would use tin snips - only because they have a tendency to warp and bend metal prior to actually cutting it. I would just use a metal cutting wheel on a Dremel to remove the piece, then use a grinding stone attachment to buff and smooth out any burrs.

If you don't already have a Dremel, this is a MUST HAVE for anyone that enjoys DIY work. There's so many attachments that can get you out of tight spots... mine has proven to be an invaluable asset in my tool arsenal. Not just for PC work, but just about any task you can imagine. For me, the Dremel makes the "impossible" possible.

OP
N
Reaction score
cwa107,

I have everything but a dremel. About to eat breakfast and then I am heading to the hardware store.

My wife thinks I am nuts of course...I think I am sane ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm not sure which is worse - problem 1 or 2. If I had Photoshop skills, I'd want to overlay one on top of the other to see the discrepancies.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I don't think I would use tin snips - only because they have a tendency to warp and bend metal prior to actually cutting it. I would just use a metal cutting wheel on a Dremel to remove the piece, then use a grinding stone attachment to buff and smooth out any burrs.

I couldn't agree more...DON'T use tin snips!!!

On the other hand...this "DIY fix"...is going to be pretty UGLY...so a little bent metal may not be that much "uglier"!;)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cwa107,

I have everything but a dremel.

If you don't have a Dremel...then a possible alternative to tin snips could be a small fine-tooth hacksaw blade & a file for small adjustments and removal of burrs.

FYI...Dremel tools/kits can come is REAL handy for MANY jobs. So it's always nice to have one. Plus (to save money) you don't have to buy an official "Dremel" tool...you can purchase one of the "copy-cat" tools...such as this (or something similar to it):

Rotary Tool Kit - 80 Piece Set

At $10.99...it's pretty darn inexpensive!:)

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Nick,

Thank you. I picked up a Dremel. 20 bux.

I used the dremel in vice grips to hold the frame of the macbook to saw the piece off very carefully. I then used very fine sand paper to smooth the edges. It is perfect. You can't tell that there was ever aluminum cut off.

Holy smokes this is pretty crazy.

Now to put it all back together...slowly...

QUESTION...Does anyone have a picture by picture, step by step guide to put a Macbook pro A1286 back together? I found one on google but it does not help much because it stops at the motherboard removal step. I need a good guide like you were working in a Mac factory!

Videos suck...I can't follow a long well enough. This is a very slow step by step process.

If this boots up and works, expect pictures from start to finish.

If this does not boot up and I can't fix it, I am going to pour petrol all over it and take a nice video to post of a MBP going up in flames (really).

;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
QUESTION...Does anyone have a picture by picture, step by step guide to put a Macbook pro A1286 back together? I found one on google but it does not help much because it stops at the motherboard removal step. I need a good guide like you were working in a Mac factory!

Go to:

iFixit: The free repair manual

They should have a step by step DIY procedure (with lots of photos). You just have to go thru the process of properly identifying the computer model.

Many of us use ifixit.com for the very same reasons as you (assembly/disassembly).:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.