ODD issue with iPhone data turned off

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
I usually have my data turned off on my iPhone as I did not want to use up data unknowingly.

anyway several months ago, after a long iPhone software update...I was sitting at home using my own wifi.... I tried to send a text message to friend (non apple) and attach a pic. it would not go. the text was green which I understood that is showing me her phone is not apple. message said data is not on. after I turned data on and message was sent.
AND I found that I had similar problem even with apple friends......so now I just leave my data turned on.

I was understanding that as long as you are connected to wifi, the data did not need to be turned on and data would be used on wifi connection..... and that if you were out of range of wifi, data would auto be used on iPhone's data. that is the way it has been for a long time.

in the past, when I travelled to go shopping I had my phone data turned off.... I still would get emails and messages and if I opened them, I used phone data. and sometimes I would not open at that time and wait til I got home. now if my data is not turned on... I get nothing!

is anyone else having this issue?
so when did this change?? I contacted my provider to see if they did something and she said no, not at their end. so I assume it was apple.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which version of iOS are you using? Apple has made some recent changes but none that I know of which would affect what you're experiencing.

I'm trying to understand what's going on with your data plan. Our plan has unlimited data so I really do not pay much attention to it. However, going thru settings: Cellular, you can individually specify which apps will use cellular when WiFi is not available.

Of course when you're at home and have WiFi and select WiFi calling, you will not be using cellular. I don't know what kind of carrier plan you have, but even when at home you may be using data when viewing videos (like on YouTube). So you have to be careful about that.

As for text messaging, when texting friends or family who are using Android phones, the text will go as SMS rather than iMessage. Only those who have an iPhone will receive the text as iMessage.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
Which version of iOS are you using? Apple has made some recent changes but none that I know of which would affect what you're experiencing.

I'm trying to understand what's going on with your data plan. Our plan has unlimited data so I really do not pay much attention to it. However, going thru settings: Cellular, you can individually specify which apps will use cellular when WiFi is not available.

Of course when you're at home and have WiFi and select WiFi calling, you will not be using cellular. I don't know what kind of carrier plan you have, but even when at home you may be using data when viewing videos (like on YouTube). So you have to be careful about that.

As for text messaging, when texting friends or family who are using Android phones, the text will go as SMS rather than iMessage. Only those who have an iPhone will receive the text as iMessage.

im running the most up to date IOS for Mojave..

my home data plan is unlimited for 2yrs (I just signed up for that) previously it was 300gb lot more than I needed except when grand nieces come to visit and watch all their shows on Netflix!!

when I am at home... am always using wifi in home. only use cellular data plan on iPhone when out and about. I just checked and have only those apps to use when not using wifi. my roaming is turned OFF.

this was just another thing I had to be made aware of.... it certainly in new in the last 8mo or so and threw me for a loop...

I just worked around it and now I keep my cellular ON on iPhone all the time now. and have no more problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.