Not happy with Apple Computers Inc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Echo_ said:
how con loading an os void warrenty?

If it is a beta and not a final public release you usually click accept to say that the company is not responsible for any problems the new OS creates

Reaction score
They could say that sneezing on it voids the warranty. I suppose they'd say the same thing if you put Linux on it. The OS comes from Microsoft so it doesn't refer to the manufacturer (if any) of the computer when you install it.

BTW, my ship date got moved out to next Monday. By the looks of the FedEx audit trail, it looks like it was FedEx' fault as they sat on the thing for a day. Google says it has 3,000 miles to go and there's no way it gets
here in 3 days. Strangely enough, Google said that it can be driven in 1 day, 19 hours. I guess they need to work
on the time estimator in Google maps.

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

Well, mine left Shanghai a couple of days ago... probably stuck on a boat somewhere with the sand crabs. I was hoping it would get scanned on US soil by today... making for a possible friday/saturday delivery. At this rate, I'll have all my accessories and such before I get the real toy!

OP
C

code777

i'm surprised that there is a delay with everyone getting the 'puters! I know of the apple store in my area not having any iMac G5's in stock (the 1.6ghz model) for the past month and they just got a ton in maybe two weeks ago. So the sales kid told me... but they are still out of the Powerbooks. All of them. The only one they have in stock are the 12" and 15" version with combo. They have plenty of iBooks in stock and no idea about the PowerMacs.

Yeah this whole 256 stock RAM has GOT to go. stock should be 512 and maybe they want to keep it at 256 to make people purchase Apple RAM? who knows. Pretty soon 768 will be the norm...

OP
W

warrenbert

RE: the 256 mega-byte question...

I think Apple needs to increase the stock RAM for its own sake. It could really frustrate new users in OS X who will think that the computer and OS are slower than their old PC. The money you make on the suckers who buy the overpriced upgrades isn't worth the lost customers or people who find out that they could have bought RAM for a small fraction of what they paid Apple.

Tech is very competitive, you can't rest on your laurels.

OP
D

DCyamaha

This whole thing is just pissing me off. First they tell me 5 days and it will be shipped then it gets bumped to 10 then 15. Tomorrow is the latest ship date on my order status page. Bet me... if it gets bumped again, I CANCEL the dam order!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
DCyamaha said:
This whole thing is just pissing me off. First they tell me 5 days and it will be shipped then it gets bumped to 10 then 15. Tomorrow is the latest ship date on my order status page. Bet me... if it gets bumped again, I CANCEL the dam order!

Looks like they drastically underestimated the demand for the new Minis and Powerbooks. Probably just can't get enough CPUs to the manufacturers.

Then they are probably feeding units to their retail outlets before getting the BTOs done. I'm sure it'll level out in a couple of months, but unfortunately, that doesn't help you.

OP
D

DCyamaha

dan828 said:
Looks like they drastically underestimated the demand for the new Minis and Powerbooks. Probably just can't get enough CPUs to the manufacturers.

Then they are probably feeding units to their retail outlets before getting the BTOs done. I'm sure it'll level out in a couple of months, but unfortunately, that doesn't help you.

The thing is, I didn't order the mini or the powerbook. I ordered an imac G5! This is a wondeful welcome wagon for me into the world of apple :closed:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Man, that sucks. I don't know why it's taking so long for you. I ordered my iMac with three BTO options (BT, AirPort, and 512RAM) and it only took about a week to maybe ten days for mine to be delivered(this was bout a month ago). I ordered mine in an Apple store, so I don't know if that may have made a difference.

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
DCyamaha said:
The thing is, I didn't order the mini or the powerbook. I ordered an imac G5! This is a wondeful welcome wagon for me into the world of apple :closed:

I guess I had you confused with one of the people buying a powerbook. :blind: But I think that Quanta makes both the iMac G5 and the G4 Powerbooks for Apple.

Either way, yeah, it does seriously suck-- especially since your only upgrade is the memory, right? Even Apple's website is showing 1-3 buisness days ship time for the stock models.

Reaction score
DCyamaha said:

CompUSA had lots of Apple stuff for sale as did our
local MacEdge. My PM G5 shipped two days after
I ordered it but Federal Express left it sitting
somewhere which pushed my ship date out until
next Monday.

OP
C

code777

ugh CompUSA, haha - it is true they do have a bunch of iMac G5's in stock (The 1.6ghz model and the 20" model in my area) but I just had a bad experience with them but that doesn't mean others will.

It is odd that your order is taking so long. I assume there is no Apple Store near you. I wonder what the delay is.

Reaction score
code777 said:
ugh CompUSA, haha - it is true they do have a bunch of iMac G5's in stock (The 1.6ghz model and the 20" model in my area) but I just had a bad experience with them but that doesn't mean others will.

It is odd that your order is taking so long. I assume there is no Apple Store near you. I wonder what the delay is.

There are stores but they don't do the Educational Discount, which, at 10%, is worth the wait. The problem is Federal Express, not Apple.

OP
D

DCyamaha

The problem is not FEDEX, its apple. The computer hasn't even shipped to me yet!!!!!!!!! today is the deadline. According to the site, it should be shipped today. I spoke with a customer service rep and they said it will be done overnight free of charge. So my mac should be here tomorrow!!??? I give it 1 chance in 3 that its at my house tomorrow :(

Maybe you're referring to FEDEX getting the computer to apple in california??

OP
D

DCyamaha

well, apple proved me wrong and actually honored the open ship date this time!! I have a new iMac G5 waiting for me when I get home from work. I can't wait to try it out, although i'm a little leary on how to use OSX. I've never done it before!!

Apple should come out with a quick reference guide for those who are switching. Maybe i'm savvy enough to figure it out??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
DCyamaha said:
well, apple proved me wrong and actually honored the open ship date this time!! I have a new iMac G5 waiting for me when I get home from work. I can't wait to try it out, although i'm a little leary on how to use OSX. I've never done it before!!

Apple should come out with a quick reference guide for those who are switching. Maybe i'm savvy enough to figure it out??

If you can use a mouse and have some basic computer knowledge you'll be fine. I'd recomend the missing manual for panther, it'll show you a lot of things about the OS you'll not find out about otherwise. Congrats on finally getting your iMac! :mac:

Reaction score
Mine is still on a truck between Bloomington, CA and some depot in Massachusetts. I think that it should be in MA tomorrow. I'd like to call them up and just drive over and
pick it up but I don't think that Federal Express works that way. I was hoping that they'd
put it on a plan to get it to me on my original delivery date but no such luck. I'm guessing
that it's quite a bit of change to put something that heavy on an overnight plane.

Good luck with your machine.

BTW, mine will arrive in the office and I'll set it up in my office first. That's standard
procedure for me as we have some Apple experts in the building (and a bunch of
Unix and Windows experts too) should I need some help.

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

I must be lucky. Here is my timeline. ordered on Mar 03, 3:15pm, appleStore online. Shipping took less than a week to arrive international. Order to customer 7 days... score one for AppleStore.

Package Progress:
Date/Time...............Location.....Activity

Mar 10, 2005 3:08 P.M...ENGLEWOOD, CO, US DELIVERY CHANGE, WILL CALL
..................12:33 P.M..ENGLEWOOD, CO, US RECEIVER UNAVAILABLE TO SIGN
..................3:45 A.M...ENGLEWOOD, CO, US OUT FOR DELIVERY
Mar 9, 2005..7:35 P.M...ENGLEWOOD, CO, US ARRIVAL SCAN
..................6:40 P.M...COMMERCE CITY, CO, US DEPARTURE SCAN
..................4:42 P.M...COMMERCE CITY, CO, US ARRIVAL SCAN
..................4:11 P.M...LOUISVILLE, KY, US DEPARTURE SCAN
..................2:33 P.M...LOUISVILLE, KY, US IMPORT SCAN
..................11:30 A.M.LOUISVILLE, KY, US IMPORT SCAN
Mar 6, 2005....9:14 P.M.SHANGHAI, CN DEPARTURE SCAN
....................1:12 P.M.SHANGHAI, CN ORIGIN SCAN
Mar 5, 2005....9:15 A.M.SHANGHAI, CN ORIGIN SCAN
....................5:21 A.M.SHANGHAI, CN BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Reaction score
So it's faster to ship from Shanghai to California than from California to New Hampshire. And it came into Kentucky from Shanghai (took the west route).

Was that UPS or FedEx? I think that UPS is generally doing a better job these days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.