No GPU Detected message on startup with AMD Radeon 460, 2016 Macbook Pro 15"

Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone!

I have a 2016 Macbook Pro 15" with the AMD Radeon Pro 460, 16gb ram. Starting shortly after I bought the laptop, I started getting a message everytime I start-up the laptop saying that there is No GPU Detected, and that there is no GPU Driver Detected. On the system report, both graphics devices are listed (460 and Intel HD 530). I have chatted with apple about this several times, without success, and it is getting rather annoying.

I have reinstalled the iOS, and apple had me reset something (I cant remember what), and they were confused at the end of the chat, so I was handed off to several different people.

Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 11.00.05.png

I have tried using the CUDA Driver Info & Updates button, but it does literally nothing. I have also tried searching the NVIDIA and AMD sites, as well as a general search on apples support site, all to no avail.

I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue, but I was hoping someone here would be willing to help.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Maybe you know...AMD and NVIDIA are different companies that make video/graphics hardware for computers. Your MacBook Pro has an AMD dedicated GPU (not NVIDIA)...and this is why you are probably getting this message. What's causing this could be the accidential install of drivers for NVIDIA hardware...which this computer does not have. Thus these drivers would need to be uninstalled to eliminate this message.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. BTW. Apple computers use the "Mac OS". iOS is what iPhones & iPads use.:)

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks. I knew they were different companies, but what I was unsure about was if there was some reason they would have been installed from Apple (when I got the computer). So, I assumed they were required for some patch, or the intel graphics card, since it has switchable graphics.

I did go into the hidden files and remove everything Cuda or NVIDIA related, and it appears to have the problem taken care of, without hindering any functionality.

I think its hilarious that I chatted with Apple 4 different times, and even met with a "Genius", and they couldn't tell me it was okay to remove. All they said was "Reach out to NVIDIA for a manual update". I kept saying "But I have intel and AMD graphics, which have nothing to do with NVIDIA", and all I got is either a generic response on the chat, or a blank stare from the guy insulting the world by calling himself a Genius.

Thanks for the validation!

P.S. Sorry about the iOS vs OS thing... I think I'm getting old. I promise, when I was younger, I would have caught that!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I did go into the hidden files and remove everything Cuda or NVIDIA related, and it appears to have the problem taken care of, without hindering any functionality.

Great to hear it.:)

I think its hilarious that I chatted with Apple 4 different times, and even met with a "Genius", and they couldn't tell me it was okay to remove. All they said was "Reach out to NVIDIA for a manual update". I kept saying "But I have intel and AMD graphics, which have nothing to do with NVIDIA", and all I got is either a generic response on the chat, or a blank stare from the guy insulting the world by calling himself a Genius.

Don't get me started about the "Genius" title.;) I'm not saying that most Apple techs don't know their stuff. But ever since they started using the job title "Genius". I always thought that was going a bit too far! lol

P.S. Sorry about the iOS vs OS thing... I think I'm getting old. I promise, when I was younger, I would have caught that!

No problamo. As long as you know the difference...it's all good.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.