Next iPhone/iTouch update?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
As for AT&Ts 3g network- why havent they pushed that?? And how is it up and coming if they don't have any 3g phones for it yet??

I had a 3G phone before I bought my iPhone back in early July, the AT&T 8525 (aka the HTC Hermes). There are plenty of 3G phones available on AT&T's network, and it's a pretty fast network at that. Tethering my Macbook to a 3G enabled phone is the one feature I miss with my iPhone.

Reaction score
People have already shown their willing to pay up to $600 on these things, and probably more for more memory.
Not enough of them apparently since Apple had to cut the price 33% and then offer $100 rebates to the early adopters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHZ Core Duo Extreme, 2GB RAM, 750GB Hard Drive - iPhone 3G - Aluminium MacBook 2.4GHZ
I know that a lot of people are talking about how most answers on these forums are made up, but I was going through the BBC news website and there was an article/link (I forget) to a site that is adament that the new iPhone will be released at MacWorld.

The iPod touch on the other hand is an awesome bit of kit. I've had one for just over a month now and I love it. In terms of storage, I think 16GB is plenty. You will never listen to all that music anyway, and I've got all of season 6 of Family Guy on it (UK season 6 is US Season 5 pt. 2) and it still left space to fit 2 albums worth of photos from iPhoto, and my whole music collection + music videos. There's no rumours anywhere about the iPod touch getting updated, and even if there were, they haven't come from Apple so don't trust them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHZ Core Duo Extreme, 2GB RAM, 750GB Hard Drive - iPhone 3G - Aluminium MacBook 2.4GHZ
the BBC news website and there was an article/link (I forget) to a site that is adament that the new iPhone will be released at MacWorld.

Oh, and the possible release of a new iPhone so soon is ridiculous on Apple's part as it was only released here a week ago. There will be some cheesed off customers if the rumours are true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Oh, and the possible release of a new iPhone so soon is ridiculous on Apple's part as it was only released here a week ago. There will be some cheesed off customers if the rumours are true.

I think Apple learned it's lesson from angering early adopters by lowering the price so soon. Either Apple would have to release new iPhones in the US and Europe would be a constant 4-6 months behind (a complete reversal of roles for the US and Europe in the mobile phone world) or Apple will wait and begin releasing new iPhones for all regions at the same time.

Reaction score
According to a BusinessWeek article CEO of Apple has considered bidding on an wireless spectrum being auctioned by the FCC (Federal Communications Commission). If Apple does win the bid, the popular electronics company will mostly likely sell their popular iPhone which was released earlier this year. Apple would also be able to provide both voice and data services along their network. As AT&T has the exclusive rights to the iPhone until 2009 it could mean Apple releasing the iPhone 2 it they do become a wireless carrier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I think Apple learned it's lesson from angering early adopters by lowering the price so soon. Either Apple would have to release new iPhones in the US and Europe would be a constant 4-6 months behind (a complete reversal of roles for the US and Europe in the mobile phone world) or Apple will wait and begin releasing new iPhones for all regions at the same time.

I don't think Apple learned a lesson. They sold a ton more phones and made a lot more profit even factoring in the 100 dollar discounts (which I feel had to have been planned months in advance).

It was a complete business strategy and it worked flawlessly. More people bought the cheaper phones and Apple looked like the ultimate in customer service by offering the discount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I guess it's easier to ask for forgiveness sometimes. I wonder what they would have to give Europeans in oder to calm them if they bring out a 3G iPhone 2-3 months after introducing the EDGE iPhone over there. Nothing short of a replacement with no charge would do it for me.

OP
A
Reaction score
is there any way that the iPhone could already be 3g enabled and they would just have to activate it via software update?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, the hardware for 3G isn't in the iPhone, so no amount of software is going to add it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I don't think Apple learned a lesson. They sold a ton more phones and made a lot more profit even factoring in the 100 dollar discounts (which I feel had to have been planned months in advance).

It was a complete business strategy and it worked flawlessly. More people bought the cheaper phones and Apple looked like the ultimate in customer service by offering the discount.
Wrong. Aside from there being no hard evidence of Apple's intent, their name has been tarnished this year. That's FAR from flawless. While many people thought it nice of Apple to offer the discount, their trust of Apple (and perhaps overall view) has declined. Their stock plummeted. Sorry, but I don't buy for a second that was planned.

What WOULD have been flawless is if they dropped the price, and people actually acted rational and realized that Apple is a business and their situation is no different. That way they wouldn't have made the news in a negative way, looked like idiots writing an apology letter, and given the credits to all those people.

Reaction score
Wrong. Aside from there being no hard evidence of Apple's intent, their name has been tarnished this year. That's FAR from flawless. While many people thought it nice of Apple to offer the discount, their trust of Apple (and perhaps overall view) has declined. Their stock plummeted. Sorry, but I don't buy for a second that was planned.

What WOULD have been flawless is if they dropped the price, and people actually acted rational and realized that Apple is a business and their situation is no different. That way they wouldn't have made the news in a negative way, looked like idiots writing an apology letter, and given the credits to all those people.

Well, I don't think they planned the backlash they got, but I'm sure they were somewhat prepared for adverse reactions to the price drop.

Apple probably knows how such a large chunk of their fanbase are fussy babies, so it's not too far fetched an idea.

OP
A
Reaction score
Personally, I think their switch to intel processors has decreased the quality of their notebook line. Everyone I know who has one has problems with them (either a bunch of tiny things or one larger one) whereas my friends who have had their powerpc notebooks for about 4 years now are still going strong with minimal to no problems at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MB Air, Iphone

I wonder if they even care.......Before they come out with a new phone, how about fixing the old one? No syncing of Notes, tasks, and no speed or voice dialing.
I wonder if they know the market they entered that well; so far, I see these little meaningless updates every so often to stop hackers, but I see no new features that amount to anything.O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder if they even care.......Before they come out with a new phone, how about fixing the old one? No syncing of Notes, tasks, and no speed or voice dialing.
I wonder if they know the market they entered that well; so far, I see these little meaningless updates every so often to stop hackers, but I see no new features that amount to anything.O:)

I have to agree. They seem completely bent on stopping hackers, but are not doing anything for their actual (and honest) customers. Apple needs to realize that hacking is a part of the mobile phone market and they can't spend all their energy trying to stop it, because it'll just keep happening. Looks at the other makers. Motorola has got to be the most hacked phone (and easiest to hack), but is Motorola going out of business? Not even close. Part of the reason I bought my Moto was because I could hack it to customize the display and add simple java apps.

Everyone was so sure big changes would be rolling out within a few months, but we're all still sitting here waiting. Have there been any functional upgrades other than the ability to pull up iPod status with the home button doulbe-tap?

Also, people have been hoping big changes and additions in functionality would come in free software upgrades, but I'm becoming more and more concerned that such changes will only be part of their marketing effort to sell new next-gen iPhones, leaving current owners out in the cold. Personally, I think it would be really bad move after MS gave current Zune owners free next-gen software upgrades, but you never know. Apple has made for very un-Apple-like "big business"-type decisions lately.

Reaction score
They clearly don't know the market as well as the others, at least not yet. Though I don't think they need to "fix" anything on the current phone except that which doesn't work as advertised.

As for updates, the first update came over a month after launch and made the web browser and ipod functionality much more stable (working properly). The 3rd update added the ringtone support and wifi itunes. I wouldn't exactly call them meaningless, but I don't expect to see many more features added via updates. They need to fix things that are there and don't work right (like smart playlists).

OP
A
Reaction score
As far as the first update that came out for the iphone- that's complete crap. I wouldn't count that as an update. If you pay $600 for a device it SHOULD work properly. Apple prides itself on its ipod. To ship the iphone with an improperly working ipod in it is inexcusable.

ALSO, why haven't more people been talking about the lack of voice and speed dialing?? That's crap that the iphone doesn't have those STANDARD features.

Reaction score
An update is an update, full stop. Whether it's to add features or fix bugs it's still an update. And personally, I think fixing bugs is more important.

Obviously, bugs shouldn't be there in the first place. Neither should missing features for that matter. But welcome to 2007, the time of unfinished products. Since so many things tie in with software, we get unfinished products whose features either don't work 100% or are missing because HEY, it can added in later! We only have ourselves to blame for this CRAP. We continue to purchase unfinished products because we have the hope that it will eventually be finished in an update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, people have been hoping big changes and additions in functionality would come in free software upgrades, but I'm becoming more and more concerned that such changes will only be part of their marketing effort to sell new next-gen iPhones, leaving current owners out in the cold. Personally, I think it would be really bad move after MS gave current Zune owners free next-gen software upgrades, but you never know. Apple has made for very un-Apple-like "big business"-type decisions lately.

I have to agree with this point. Apple told us that we would see major updates "within a few months" of the iPhone's release, so early adopters didn't mind so much when features like voice dialing, Bluetooth file transfer, and third-party applications weren't initially offered. But the earliest indication of a major update is in February, which isn't anywhere close to "a few months."

Granted, the iPhone as it stands is a pretty great device, but come on Apple, pick up the pace on what you promised those of us who shelled out $600 to get one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.