Newbie help using Apple Computers and macOS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
For every story waxing rhapsodic over the glory of Apples in the early years, there is a counter-story.

It's unfortunate and was also quite common that the store didn't have it running the Apple start-up sequence and often animated tutorials that were built-in and supposed to be locked, but many customers would come in and change the settings so they could see what was new and improved on the new machines.

Anyway, at least you got a good, fast Windows running machine. :D

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can remember going to the Apple section of a CompUSA store here in Fort Worth (that was before CompUSA sold out and closed down) and started playing around with several of the machines. They had a Powerbook and an iBook on display that you could fool around with. I was impressed on how easy it was to do things on those machines.

But at the time I wasn't interested in buying Apple since we were heavy into using Windows on the several machines that we had. Also, the price of the Apple machines was in most cases double that of the Windows clones that were on sale at the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I think I would have bought an Apple way-back-when if it had actually done anything beside sit there and if anything I clicked on actually did anything. It looked slick and I was system-agnostic at the time, having just come off a TRSDOS to CP/M conversion of an old TRS-80 Model 1. I had also built a Heathkit H-100 system, so I was familiar with the S-100 bus at the time. I didn't particularly want an IBM clone because of the limitations of the bus the way IBM had designed it and the memory management of MSDOS was strange. But the Apple just sat there like a very expensive lump.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It was thanks to the MS DOS computers work that I bought our first Mac LC for home when the Adam computer my 10-year-old son was using gave up the ghost. It was a dream to use by comparison.

With the work computers, one needed at least three thick manuals at the ready: DOS, Word, Wordperfect and one other I can't remember.

The Mac came with small animated tutorials for how to use it, It including the mouse and the filing system etc. Anyone remember those??? And it could talk to you!!!!

And oh did our son and his friends have fun with the microphone and all their fart sounds etc. they would create..., and then add some of them to their HyperCard and animation videos. What fun and creative tools they were... and all in color as well!!!! :D

- Patrick
=======
Ah, nostalgia. They were good times alright.:)

Reaction score
To put the current situation in context, Macs once were easy and simple. No more.

I've been using them since the first Mac in 1984 and I've been a documentation contractor for Apple in the 80s and 90s beginning with paper, then the first online documentation. At first, very little choice of what one could do, basically MacWrite and MacPaint came with the computer and there were few system options to get involved with. So, no distraction glitz.

At the time, the first consumer GUI. So—open the box, use a paper pamphlet about how to connect mouse and power cord, turn on, how to insert a disk with an app. The OS and both apps were on a single 128k floppy.

There was a User Guide giving orientation to the Finder and the mouse. I read it. There were user guides to MacWrite (142pp) and MacPaint (32pp). I read the first few pages of each and was immediately able to begin writing something I had been working on. MacPaint was a stroke of genius, it was for fun, playing with it, just doing things, making mistakes, erasing them, no serious goal to reach. Playing with it was addictive, so one learned the fine points of using a mouse, selecting, changing tools, how the interface worked, etc. all without a serious "tutorial."

The mouse just worked. It didn't have settings like the trackpad on a new Mac. As the Mac evolved: from one to two floppy drives, to external; then internal hard drives; to boxes with external monitors; to ever-increasing memory; from wired to wireless connections, and so forth, more and more became taken for granted as already known and experienced.

The increased capability—and complexity—have advantages and disadvantages.

Regarding complexity, Picasso could pick up a stick and draw beautiful images in the sand at a beach. I can't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
Just out of curiosity, how long before I discover the secret of using a Mac?
Are you aware that a MacBook Pro can run in PC Windows or osMac. There two ways to do it as long as you have a genuine Windows program. You use Boot Camp (an App comes with you MacBook) Using Bootcamp you can boot either from osMac or Windows, but only one or the other. However, if you use a Virtual. Machine you can run Windows and osMac at the same time. See https://www.pcworld.com/article/249059/how-to-install-boot-camp-and-run-windows-on-your-mac.html and for a Virtual Machine see https://www.imore.com/how-set-and-use-virtual-machine-your-mac

Hope this helps

Reaction score
I just got a MacBook Pro. I'm clueless. Simple things. Like logged in, opened fine, but everything I click on I get No Windows Available. opened this by accident. No idea how I did it. Where can I learn how this machine works?
Apple has offered classes in the past .. one on one or small groups. Check with your local Apple store to see if they may be extending any classes online during this pandemic.

Mac used to tout being the best user friendly computer, but that’s really changed.
You need to learn all it can do for you and you’ll never regret it.
Also try checking into YouTube for tutorials.

Reaction score
To put the current situation in context, Macs once were easy and simple. No more.

I've been using them since the first Mac in 1984 and I've been a documentation contractor for Apple in the 80s and 90s beginning with paper, then the first online documentation. At first, very little choice of what one could do, basically MacWrite and MacPaint came with the computer and there were few system options to get involved with. So, no distraction glitz.

At the time, the first consumer GUI. So—open the box, use a paper pamphlet about how to connect mouse and power cord, turn on, how to insert a disk with an app. The OS and both apps were on a single 128k floppy.

There was a User Guide giving orientation to the Finder and the mouse. I read it. There were user guides to MacWrite (142pp) and MacPaint (32pp). I read the first few pages of each and was immediately able to begin writing something I had been working on. MacPaint was a stroke of genius, it was for fun, playing with it, just doing things, making mistakes, erasing them, no serious goal to reach. Playing with it was addictive, so one learned the fine points of using a mouse, selecting, changing tools, how the interface worked, etc. all without a serious "tutorial."

The mouse just worked. It didn't have settings like the trackpad on a new Mac. As the Mac evolved: from one to two floppy drives, to external; then internal hard drives; to boxes with external monitors; to ever-increasing memory; from wired to wireless connections, and so forth, more and more became taken for granted as already known and experienced.

The increased capability—and complexity—have advantages and disadvantages.

Regarding complexity, Picasso could pick up a stick and draw beautiful images in the sand at a beach. I can't.
Good breakdown for sure. Thanks!!

Reaction score
Mikeffx - may I presume you are called Mike?

You didn't make this "truly huge investment" on a hunch. You must have seen friends using Macs, at work, in school, whatever applies.

In other words, part of your life must be spent in some kind of Mac environment. We can endlessly give you tips and tricks; but nothing beats a hands-on tutorial from somebody who has a Mac.

That is, more than anything, what you need to do. Sit down with a person who owns a Mac and bring your MacBook Pro along. One hour later, you'll be an expert in the making. Macs are deliciously easy to use - when shown how. And once started, you'll learn more each day.

With no disrespect to my learned friends here, or to myself or you, you will gain much more and much more quickly by sitting with a Mac user.

Ian
Along with that MacBook, bring a list of not only questions, but goals you want to learn how to manage.
Anything, like how can I message friends using my phone AND my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021iMac M1Ventura;2019 iMac 21.5 Ventura;2017MB 12"Mojave, 2iPhone12, AW2 + AW6
Mike, I have never had that problem but then I have never had a MacBook Pro :) . But among the many helpful messages you have received, there is one that jumped out at me so I wanted to make sure you had seen it and tried the fix. It is #19 from @ferrar, directing you to a thread in the Apple user community support page that details just the "no windows" issue that is frustrating you. The solution is super simple : don't press the trackpad so hard and/or turn off (in Systems Preferences, the cog-and-wheel icon) the "force click" associated with the trackpad.
Are you also having trouble with the Safari app (web browser) - the compass icon ? If so, you won't be able to browse the Net for all those Apple user goodies ...
I have had, in addition to desktop iMacs, a succession of Apple laptops with trackpads, but have never experienced the problem you describe. So I imagine how frustrating it must be. But I agree with comments above that Apple products are much easier to use, as well as being more secure.
And yes, I was a 25-year Windows user (had to, at the office) before buying my first Mac. Never looked back. Now I can hardly navigate a Windows PC. They, too, have become very complicated - you just have evolved along with them so you don't notice :).
Good luck and let us know if you tried the "soft touch" fix.

Reaction score
I just got a MacBook Pro. I'm clueless. Simple things. Like logged in, opened fine, but everything I click on I get No Windows Available. opened this by accident. No idea how I did it. Where can I learn how this machine works?
I was in the same position you are a couple of years back. Switching from a pc to a mac. There is a wonderful book published by David Pogue called "Switching to the Mac" published by The Missing Manual that really shortened the learning curve.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
There is a wonderful book published by David Pogue called "Switching to the Mac" published by The Missing Manual that really shortened the learning curve.

An excellent suggestion and all David Pogue's Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual series are worth reading and a pleasure to do do with a neat bit of humour thrown in.

They usually also contain some useful information for veteran Mac users as well.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
Mike, I also transitioned from XP to Macs although my wife still has a Dell Win 10. The guys on here are real experts and super helpful.
My limited knowledge may make it easier to understand.
If you want to open a WORD or Libre Office document...and you have WORD and Libre Office installed on your machine, hitting on the document will aromatically open WORD or Libre Office. No need to open it beforehand.
Finder shows all (mostly) the programs on your computer...and you can activate them as you wish.
LaunchPad (The Rocket icon) shows all the apps you have availably as icons. Any apps you add will be here or in the dock (bottom). I think.
In the Dock (bottom) is your download icon (blue folder w/arrow) and Trash can to delete files. Normally, right clocking on a file will allow you to send it to trash, or you can drag it over the trash can until it disappears.
System Preferences (Mercedes benz or Peace sign) shows among other things, these icon: Printers and Scanners, CDs & DVDs, Security and Privacy, Bluetooth, Displays, Sound, Desktop and screen saver, and General.
Preview is great for resizing pictures (mainly what I use it for).
Haven't used many of the icons but can do enough for my limited needs.

Pete

Reaction score
I switched from Windows to Mac in 2009 for my personal use and have never looked back. As I recall it didn't take very long for me to make the transition. Honestly, Mac OS is way more intuitive than windows, in my opinion. Your touch problem with the windows sounds like a force touch issue. You can turn that off in system preference under the trackpad. You don't need any virus software, I've been using Macs for over 11 years and have never used AV software and have never had a problem. Several people have already linked to some great videos, watch those and you'll get the hang of it very quickly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 13 inch Macbook macOS Catalina 10.15.6
I switched to Mac when windows vista came out, I bought a brand new windows vista laptop because I needed a better laptop than the one I had for my job, and that stupid laptop ended up being 100 times worse than my old one. it would constantly crash in the middle of doing anything besides typing a simple 2 sentence email. I was in the Starbucks one night trying to do some work and the stupid brand new windows laptop crashed like 10 times in a row, I started swearing at it, and a friend of mine was also there using a MacBook Pro he just bought, and said to me if you are willing to try a new way of using a computer I have a laptop I will give you in my car, I just bought this one and I was going to try to sell my old MacBook, but if your willing to learn how to use a much better, but different computer I will give it to you. I told him at this point I am willing to try anything. he went to his car and brought in the MacBook, it had the office programs on it I needed for the job, so I started using it. it is a 2008 black MacBook. it was a little difficult at first to figure out, but it actually worked and did not crash one time. I am still using that computer today which I just recently found a way to get macOS Catalina to run on it, and it actually runs Catalina quite well for a very much so unsupported computer, the only thing is the trackpad works as a mouse, it does not do all the gestures it would do if it was a supported machine,and it will not sleep, I have to shut it down instead. those two little issues are nothing. I am so glad he gave me this MacBook, and since then I have switched completely to apple, I have had multiple iPhones, now using an iPhone XR product red my boyfriend bought me last year for Christmas, I have an older iPad Pro, I think it is the first gen pro model and an Apple Watch series one. I will never use windows or android again, apple does everything I need it to do and it just works. it will probably take you a couple weeks to get used to it, and once you do you will never want to use windows again ever. Apple just works

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 13 inch Macbook macOS Catalina 10.15.6
forgot to mention, if you have an iPhone, you can receive and reply to text messages and phone calls from the laptop which is awesome, and I hear the iPad if it is running ios13 can be used as a second display and even as a drawing tablet with the MacBook, I have not attempted that yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.