New to the Mac: Partitioning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
At least with Windows, if I'm keeping all my stuff (apps and files) on the same partition as the operating system, I'm playing with some serious fire (and most likely to get myself burned :bomb:)

Why do you say that? Exactly why are you worried that you haven't partitioned your PC's hard drive? A crash is a crash.

I agree with Sherman's comment that there is no compelling reason to partition a drive on a Mac, and in my opinion the Macworld article looked like someone needed some column space to fill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 2GB ram, 500GB hd, 256MB Radeon x1600
Why do you say that? Exactly why are you worried that you haven't partitioned your PC's hard drive? A crash is a crash.

Emphasis on If, heh. I'm not worried, since my HD is partitioned and I got OS on one partition, apps/files on another and music on another. What I meant to say is that (at least) in Windows-world it's pretty hazardous to have all your apps and files on the same partition as Windows itself cos re-installing Windows usually means formatting the particular drive and kissing good-bye to all the contents. (I'm talking about just an operating system crash here. Not a complete harddrive meltdown, in which case having partitions or not is irrelevant.)

And that is why I asked how those things are in Mac-world.

cheers,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
...in Windows-world it's pretty hazardous to have all your apps and files on the same partition as Windows itself cos re-installing Windows usually means formatting the particular drive and kissing good-bye to all the contents. (I'm talking about just an operating system crash here. Not a complete harddrive meltdown, in which case having partitions or not is irrelevant.)

Gotcha. That makes a lot of sense.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.