• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New (To Me) Vehicle Poll

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 - 2.8GHz - 320GB ATA 7200
Why not? The new JK Wranglers are comfy. Especially the unlimited's (4-door). I've recently driven mine between Tidewater, VA - Chicago, IL - Amelia Island, FL without any issue or discomfort what-so-ever.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, maybe the new four door, but all jeeps porpoise and can get wiggly in winds at high speeds, plus if you leave the soft top on most of the time, highway speeds can get annoying fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you driven a new JK unlimited? Which is exactly the Jeep model I referred to. I can attest while driving with the soft top on I-95 from VA to FL., I had zero issues with wind, noise or rain. The new tops seal amazingly well. You should actually test drive one.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
like i said, maybe the four door would be ok. maybe. i've driven a lot of jeeps, and other similar jeep knock offs (owned a 2dr soft top 4x4 tracker too), and cute-utes, small suvs, etc. and real off road ability is always a trade off with ride quality on the road in every one i've ever driven or had a ride in - even grand cherokees and such.

maybe i've been spoiled by driving in too many cars with good suspension (not lincolns and caddies either), but there is a distinct difference, and i would steer anyone away from a sport ute or jeep unless they really really wanted or needed one or to use as a second vehicle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well for starters, to compare "jeep knock-offs" with a Jeep is ludicrous. To compare older models of Jeep's isn't much of a valid argument either. Especially since you only claimed to have driven them, and not owned one? I can only take from what I read here. Regardless, you say you may be spoiled by the ride comfort of a sedan - now that, I will buy.

As for the distinct (ride) difference regarding a SUV or Jeep - of course there is, but let's not forget "appleisgreat" is also considering a Ford F150 pickup truck - and I for one have never experienced the comfort quality in any pickup as I have in a Chrysler 300M. But as I stated, I find that "ride" boring (as I assumed, did Derek). Anyway, I would steer away from utilizing a pickup truck as a daily driver. But now we're posting opinions, not facts.

With that said, if I were a bettin' man, and I'm not (nor did I vote in the poll) - my money says appleisgreat goes with a VW.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
now, as far as jeep knock offs go, i will tell you this for certain.
i owned a 1996 2 door, soft top 4x4 geo tracker (suzuki). i drove jeeps of the same year, and while i may have trusted the jeep to handle more off-road goodness, the tracker was light years ahead of the jeep in terms of road manners, and that's not saying much, cause while the tracker was competant, it was not comfortable for long trips.

and while i have never owned one, i have driven a lot of cars and trucks, delivered a lot of different things for lots of different jobs in my teens and 20s, it is not hard to get the sense of a vehicles mannerisms/driving dynamics in about 5-15 minutes of mixed driving.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Agreed. Although I do appreciate a nice hot rod or muscle car, they're just not my thing. Which leads me to...

You want the perfect summer and winter vehicle? Something that can just as easily tow any trailer that F150 (you linked) can? Want something fun to drive? Then what you really want is a Jeep Wrangler. And you can even have one with four doors too! 4x4 not only for winter driving conditions, but also for having fun exploring off-road. And in the summertime, take the hard top off - drop the soft top, and your doing it in a convertible! Mind you, those fishing trips will become a lot more fun getting to in a Jeep!

You have honestly almost got me sold on a Jeep.

+5 for making it sound like the greatest vehicle ever made. :D

BTW: The Jeep MJ is one of my all time favorite vehicles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well again eric, you're expressing opinions regarding older Jeep models and not to mention a geo tracker. I'm not even going to reply to the latter opinion. But you lose man points.

Sorry, driving any vehicle for 5 - 25 minutes time does not warrent facts as does ownership. You can beat that dead horse all you want, you still lose.

But the bottom line here is, I stated my choice to appleisgreat regarding the new JK Wrangler Unlimited. You replied to my post with a opinion that didn't hold water.

I'm just sayin'.....
Rubi_0709.jpg

Take it from someone who owns one, It's the perfect 4-season vehicle for the outdoors type person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Drive one Derek. See how it feels to you. I am very happy with mine.

On a side note, you can find great new low mileage Jeep Wranglers due to the fact that many who bought this Jeep, because they wanted to look cool, didn't realize what they were getting into and traded them in for more of what eric ( among other's) prefers. I am referring to that "car ride".

I should add, that happens more with the 2-door Wrangler than it does with the 4-door.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Drive one Derek. See how it feels to you. I am very happy with mine.

On a side note, you can find great new low mileage Jeep Wranglers due to the fact that many who bought this Jeep, because they wanted to look cool, didn't realize what they were getting into and traded them in for more of what eric ( among other's) prefers. I am referring to that "car ride".

I should add, that happens more with the 2-door Wrangler than it does with the 4-door.

I figured as much. I just know that they seem to be common targets for thieves, which does bother me a little bit.

OP
appleisgreat
Reaction score
I have always liked jeeps and used to want one. After reading this thread, and seeing that rubi picture, I am definitely going to look into them.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, i hate to press this point any more in this thread, so this is the last i'll say on these points...

if you can't derive vehicle dynamics from a 5 minute drive, that is a loss of man points for sure.

we're not talking livability, it takes time to find out things like how your knee eventually may not like the center divider, or what kind of weird vibrations the car may make with a certain combination of open and closed windows, or what a certain squeek means, but how a car handles? 5-15 minutes, no question. every car, of the hunderds i've driven, i knew exactly how they handled within that time frame. i may not know the absolute limits, but i can tell youwhether it will push, rotate, if the springs are soft/hard and thier relationship with the shocks, how quick and direct the steering is (or is not), what the tip in feels like on the throttle, whether the automatic transmission will be a willing partner or a pain in the butt, how nicely a manual's synchros work and how either is geared... etc, etc.

also, i love jeeps, they are fantastic at what they do, and no, i haven't driven the new 4dr, but, due to the revised suspension and longer wheelbase, i would assume it wouldn't porpoise like the older shorter models. that said, it is still a jeep, still 'trail rated' and will, almost by definition, have a driving dynamic that is different then a car, and i would put money on this, less comfortable than most cars on a long drive to a majority of people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Derek - The risk of theft was never a issue for me. Your situation may differ?

appleisgreat - see, that's why I wouldn't bet on your final decision. Go test drive one and see if it's the type of vehicle you would like. As eric and I both eluded to, Jeeps are not for everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Being a Mopar guy I'd say a Dodge RAM - those beasts are sexy - w/5.7 HEMI.

Although, I'd vote F-150 5.4 over the Jetta. I had a car to begin with (Volvo S40), spend a tonne of cash on it (upgrades etc) and found driving a truck :read Jeep Grand Cherokee V8: totally different.

But once you get into it, you can sure stun people at stop lights and I don't give a toss about gas mileage. Would never go back to a car now comfort, torque, looks its got it all. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Derek - The risk of theft was never a issue for me. Your situation may differ?

Detroit is a wonderful place to live. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You should be happy you're not here :D

Cars here are out of the country before they're reported stolen. Full sized 4wd trucks being the worst.. they're stolen and beaten across the desert loaded down with illegals until they wreck em (and kill everyone in the back), destroy em entirely or abandon them to avoid being arrested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's why I am moving to Florida. Once you get to Key West, your ride is over. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
Had to chime back in here.

I owned 4 cars in my life.

1st: 1991 Honda CRX, got it with 96,000 miles sold it with 189,000 miles and the person i sold it to had it until 211,000 miles until he crashed it into a tree.

2nd: 1992 Suburu Impreza. Got it with 130,000 miles, it died with about 440,000 miles on it.

3rd: 2001 VW golf, got it with 17,000 miles. At 18,000 needed a new engine, at 21,000 needed a new tranny and catalytic converter, at 22,000 needed another new engine, at 29,000 needed another tranny and catalytic converter. Sold it with 30,000 miles, worst car ever. (All covered by warranty, grand total in parts $19,000, total paid for car $13,000)

4th: 2007 Chevy Cobalt, got it with 8 miles on it... and other then the fuse box blowing (which i probably caused with all my LEDs) i haven't had one problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
Had to chime back in here.
3rd: 2001 VW golf, got it with 17,000 miles. At 18,000 needed a new engine, at 21,000 needed a new tranny and catalytic converter, at 22,000 needed another new engine, at 29,000 needed another tranny and catalytic converter. Sold it with 30,000 miles, worst car ever. (All covered by warranty, grand total in parts $19,000, total paid for car $13,000)

Bear in mind that the US market GTIs, Golfs, and Jettas did have some issues in the 1999-2004 time frame. But only in the US, in europe they were some of the best cars available, and still are. The reason I skipped the MKIV and went for the new MKV was that I knew that the car was built 100% in wolfsburg germany, not mexico or brazil. Like I said, 40k miles and not one problem, just kept up with oil changes and tune ups. In fact, I'm really tempted in picking up a MKVI GTI if they hit US shores by next summer. I'm that happy with the brand, I'd be willing to settle for that instead of waiting another year or two and pick up a TTS.

OP
appleisgreat
Reaction score
The reason I skipped the MKIV and went for the new MKV was that I knew that the car was built 100% in wolfsburg germany, not mexico or brazil.

Uhh... not to burst your bubble or anything, but you do realize that most, if not all, VW's in the American market ARE made in Mexico? Even if the car is a "Wolfsburg" Edition, they stopped making those in the Wolfsburg plant after the MK2's. The Jetta I drive now is a MK3 Getta (has a golf front end) Wolfsburg Edition that, you guessed it, was produced and built right over the border in Mexico. Presently, the only difference between a Wolfsburg and GLS edition is subtle exterior and interior differences (the Wolfie is styled more along the lines of a GLI, without the upgraded suspension, transmissions, wheels & tires, etc). If yours is really made in Germany I would love to see a shot of the label in the door jam showing this!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.