New SSD (with Windows installed) - Cant boot from internet recovery on mac mini

Reaction score
Hi, Ive just put a samsung evo 840 250gb into a mac mini late 2012, as the sole drive. However, when I go into the boot screen (by holding down option/alt (on windows keyboard)) (I've tried alt+R, but doesnt work), I'm only able to: 1) Log-on to my wifi, which I've done numerous times. 2) Push an upward arrow which is beneath an icon of a hard drive where it says 'Windows' beneath it. I want to go disk utility and format the hard drive, and do an internet recovery. However, as the two above options are the only ones I have access to, I have no idea how to move forward from here. Hope you guys can help me out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You need to start up in Internet Recovery, which is "command+option+R", and select Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, you will need to select Partition, to make the drive a "Single" partition. Make sure you select "one partition" in the drop down box, and do not leave it as "current".

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

OP
D
Reaction score
That didnt work neither. Guess it's because I'm on a windows keyboard; thus I use ctrl + alt + R.

FIX: However, by trial and error, I randomly found out that you can go to Internet Recovery on a win keyboard by pressing the windows button + r! Now it works :) !

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
For the benefit other Windows users reading the thread the translation / key combinations are as follows:

Mac Command key = Windows key
Mac Option Key = Windows Alt key
Ctrl key is the same

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.