New site format

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for confirming that guys. I've been having problems with page loading since at least yesterday. I was beginning to think there might be something wrong with my setup.

OP
C

chas_m

I barely noticed any changes when the site did its redesign, but over the last couple of days I've noticed some threads won't load or are VERY slow to load, but I don't think this has anything to do with the forum redesign.

The iPad app seems to work perfectly, though.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I think the slowness is a server side issue; I encountered a database error a few days back that seems to have stopped from popping up. However, I have noticed some very slow loading. I'll see if there's word from Penton about this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I was getting all kinds of "database error" pages and some that just wouldn't load throughout the most of yesterday, almost to the point of being unusable, especially if trying to go foreword or backward from a page that actually did load.

A bit better so far this morning, but I may have spoken too soon and may resent having said that. But here's hoping…

OP
M

MacInWin

For the last two days it's taking 5-10 minutes to open a thread, 5-10 to post to a thread. The site is dead.....too bad, too, it was a good place when it worked.

Maybe the new owners can email us when they get it going. (Did they design the Obamacare site?)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have posted a discussion thread outlining the problems we're having in our iNet contact forum. We just have to be patient until they get it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
We just have to be patient until they get it fixed.

Charlie, I applaud your discretion and patience. We shall be patient. Just to give you a further glimpse of the difficulties: today I received 7 emails advising me that additional comments had been added to 7 threads to which I had contributed. In every single case, clicking the hyperlink failed to open the appropriate page and I resorted to going to the Forums home page, finding the thread and proceeding from there. Even then, it took ages for the page to open, including this one (about 3 minutes). Of course, we're all with you and the other mods and admins. You take the flack, but you are our only link to the "owners" of the Forums. I know that you guys are doing your best.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just another quick note: I sent an email message to our iNet contact who has been helpful in the past. As soon as he can respond and contact the proper personnel who are responsible for the forum software, I'll let everyone know.

In the meantime, I want to thank everyone for their understanding and patience.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
In the meantime, I want to thank everyone for their understanding and patience.
I just want to echo this sentiment. chscag and I have been trying to figure this out (admittedly more Charlie than I in the last day). If anything comes back, we'll make sure to let everyone know.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A quick update regarding our DB errors and slowdowns: We were experiencing a series of DDoS attacks which caused all the problems we were having. Our DEVs have it under control and it does appear that things are back to normal. Thanks to all for hanging in and not giving up on us. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well I am glad they are working on it. Seems to be much better. Thanks to you both for working on this.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do I dare say the site seems to be working well this evening, at least for me.

Thanks.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It's working at the birthday party I'm attending in a little Resteraunt in Ubud, Bali. I guess half the task of fixing problem like this is working out what the problem actually is. Well done techies.

OP
M

MacInWin

Speed is back. "View First Unread" is erratic. Sometimes works, sometimes not. Today, mostly not.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Great Scott! And I didn't even notice?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, quite sad for those that took it seriously, but I'm sure the CBC being all Canadian, and their particular reporting on it was a bit of tongue in cheek. ;)

But at least mac-forums.com seems to be working well this am, so congrats to the techs for the fixes.

SoftWareRevue

iNET Interactive
Reaction score
Speed is back. "View First Unread" is erratic. Sometimes works, sometimes not. Today, mostly not.

It can take some time for replication to catch up after all the server side work implemented. But if it's still erratic tomorrow, please let us know.

I'd like to echo what the admins have stated. "Thank you for your patience" We know it isn't easy - especially after new ownership and platform update. Speaking of which, we found a social plugin that affected page load speeds that we've disabled until dev can sort it out. It seems both Google and Facebook updated their algorithms and we didn't update with them.

Again - Thank you for your patience and understanding. But please do let admins know if you notice anything not functioning as it should.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.