New SE arrived but no way to charge it

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
B
Reaction score
Glad to hear it. I know how it is with a new phone. My son sent me an iPhone 12 Mini (gift cards) and I just got through setting it up.

It used to be easy but I found out without iTunes and the means to carry over my apps that I had to download them all over again. And it appears that one of my favorite apps was no longer available from the app store so now it's gone for good.

Let us know if we can be of more help and have fun with your new SE. :)
Thanks Chscag. You’ve been awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It used to be easy but I found out without iTunes and the means to carry over my apps that I had to download them all over again.
I didn't think it all that hard, Charlie. When my 12 came it, the old and new communicated through some swirly screen thing and all my data/apps were transferred for me. Maybe that doesn't work with a really old iPhone?

Reaction score
I don't know about the SE, but the iPhone 12 charges faster with a more powerful USB-C power adapter. Which power adapter needs a USB-C to lightning cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 512GB
Just got my new SE today and discovered they don’t send anything to charge it with. There’s a cord, but no charger adapter. My old iPhone used a usb connection. That won’t work. Why wouldn’t they tell customers they need to buy extra stuff to make it work? I’m very tempted to send it back.
That appears to be Apple's typical ploy to make more money. I am a 'button' fan, that's why I'm sticking with the iPhone 8 for as long as possible. I did hear that Apple moved away from the button not only for cost but because the Chinese learnt how to make them and supply the likes of Amazon, I don't know if that is gospel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know about the SE, but the iPhone 12 charges faster with a more powerful USB-C power adapter. Which power adapter needs a USB-C to lightning cable.
Cable isn't the factor in how fast it charges. It's the capacity of the adapter. So a big USB-A power adapter will work just as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That appears to be Apple's typical ploy to make more money. I am a 'button' fan, that's why I'm sticking with the iPhone 8 for as long as possible. I did hear that Apple moved away from the button not only for cost but because the Chinese learnt how to make them and supply the likes of Amazon, I don't know if that is gospel.
It isn't.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I didn't think it all that hard, Charlie. When my 12 came it, the old and new communicated through some swirly screen thing and all my data/apps were transferred for me. Maybe that doesn't work with a really old iPhone?

I used the WiFi transfer method by bringing the two phones close together. The older phone is an iPhone 8 which isn't really that old. The transfer worked except that my apps did not transfer. They appeared to be stuck on "Loading". Nothing seemed to work (not even a manual download from the app store) to get the apps to download and installed on the new phone.

I should have (hindsight) just used my backup to load the new phone. I wound up having to reset the new phone, used my backup, and then was able to manually download all my apps from the app store. Unfortunately one of my favorite apps was no longer available from the app store and is now lost. I can live with out it though. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iPhone to iPhone transfer was slow, but it did work. Frankly I think restoring from a backup would have been faster, and will be what I do next time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Pro CPU, 16 GB, 512G SSD
The iPhone to iPhone transfer was slow, but it did work. Frankly I think restoring from a backup would have been faster, and will be what I do next time.
I should say that I had a different experience. I did a phone to phone transfer for my wife's phone, and two phones of my "technologically challenged" friends'. Very quick, just a few minutes (10-15?, don't remember exactly now). For whatever reason phone-to-phone would not work for my 12 Pro, and I had to move the data using iCloud restore. It worked fine, but much slower, took at least half an hour IIRC.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

I agree and will be the method that I use from now on. I should add that when my apps refused to download I contacted Apple via the chat line. The person I chatted with knew less about what was wrong than I did. I finally gave up and terminated the chat.

Usually my experience with on line or telephone support with Apple has been excellent. But I guess the law of averages caught up with me. :)

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but I just added an SE to my cart on Apple's website as a test, and this is what is shown at the bottom of the page. It's pretty clear.

1618348613820.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe I'm missing something, but I just added an SE to my cart on Apple's website as a test, and this is what is shown at the bottom of the page. It's pretty clear.

The USB-C to lightning cable is fine if you have either a Mac with USB-C ports or a USB-C charger. However, it doesn't matter because the SE you purchased or the iPhone 12 can still be charged using the older type USB to lightning cable.

I continue to charge my 12 Mini using the older cable and it works fine.

The OP @billinden didn't realize that he could still use his older cable and charger.

Reaction score
The USB-C to lightning cable is fine if you have either a Mac with USB-C ports or a USB-C charger. However, it doesn't matter because the SE you purchased or the iPhone 12 can still be charged using the older type USB to lightning cable.

I continue to charge my 12 Mini using the older cable and it works fine.

The OP @billinden didn't realize that he could still use his older cable and charger.

I understand that, but I was making the point that Apple DOES make it clear that no charging brick is included (since some in the thread were saying that Apple failed to inform them). Like you and others have said, even if someone still fails to see that when they order online, there are plenty of ways to charge the phone and most likely they already have a way to do so.

OP
B
Reaction score
I understand that, but I was making the point that Apple DOES make it clear that no charging brick is included (since some in the thread were saying that Apple failed to inform them). Like you and others have said, even if someone still fails to see that when they order online, there are plenty of ways to charge the phone and most likely they already have a way to do so.
You sure went to a lot of trouble to prove some of us are idiots and don’t read the fine print. Hope it made you feel better. Still, Apple was remiss in not being more clear as to what you’re getting.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still, Apple was remiss in not being more clear as to what you’re getting

I have to agree with this. Apple could very well have explained that an older charger or lightning cable could still be used even though a new USB-C charger was not included.

Also, Apple's lame excuse about saving the environment is just political "fluff".

Reaction score
You sure went to a lot of trouble to prove some of are idiots and don’t read the fine print. Hope it made you feel better. Still, Apple was remiss in not being more clear as to what you’re getting.

What's with the hostility? I'm not sure how a huge picture at the bottom labeled "What's in the Box" in large type is "fine print." Also, it took me less than a minute to do that - I was genuinely curious as to whether Apple was forthcoming with that info, and it turns out they are. I've made mistakes in the past by ordering something in a hurry without researching enough and getting something other than I thought I was, but I don't blame anyone but myself for that. When you're spending a large amount of money on something, you really have to be sure to read everything on the product page.

I have to agree with this. Apple could very well have explained that an older charger or lightning cable could still be used even though a new USB-C charger was not included.

Also, Apple's lame excuse about saving the environment is just political "fluff".

If you look at my screenshot, it says, "We encourage you to your current USB-A to Lightning cables, power adapters, and headphones that are compatible with this iPhone."

I'm not as cynical about Apple's position on this. Sure, a lot of it is marketing "fluff" (what else is new?), but it only makes logical sense not to continue to manufacture hundreds of millions of charging bricks to bundle with iPhones when probably half of them will be thrown away or thrown into a drawer.

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
What's with the hostility? I'm not sure how a huge picture at the bottom labeled "What's in the Box" in large type is "fine print." Also, it took me less than a minute to do that - I was genuinely curious as to whether Apple was forthcoming with that info, and it turns out they are. I've made mistakes in the past by ordering something in a hurry without researching enough and getting something other than I thought I was, but I don't blame anyone but myself for that. When you're spending a large amount of money on something, you really have to be sure to read everything on the product page.

If you look at my screenshot, it says, "We encourage you to your current USB-A to Lightning cables, power adapters, and headphones that are compatible with this iPhone."
Not hostile. Just stating the facts like you tried to do, but failed. The pics are large but the fine print is “fine”. My question to you is why are you trying to prove Apple wasn’t at fault. You work for them?

Reaction score
Not hostile. Just stating the facts like you tried to do, but failed. The pics are large but the fine print is “fine”. My question to you is why are you trying to prove Apple wasn’t at fault. You work for them?

Well then let's just say you seem very defensive about my post as if it somehow offends you. I don't work for Apple, and if you search my posts on this forum, you'll find that I'm not shy about being critical of them. But I just call it how I see it. They were very clear that you're not getting a charger (that big picture that doesn't show a charger under "What's in the Box"). And both the picture and text are even larger on Apple's website - this forum restricts the image dimensions. I'm sorry some folks missed that, but it's not Apple's fault. Just buy the charger (if you don't have any USB-A to Lightning cables or any USB-C powered ports or any Qi chargers available to you already) and move on.

P.S. The "What's in the Box" info is also on the product page for the iPhone, not just at checkout, and in the same size font as the rest of the info.

OP
B
Reaction score
Well then let's just say you seem very defensive about my post as if it somehow offends you. I don't work for Apple, and if you search my posts on this forum, you'll find that I'm not shy about being critical of them. But I just call it how I see it. They were very clear that you're not getting a charger (that big picture that doesn't show a charger under "What's in the Box"). And both the picture and text are even larger on Apple's website - this forum restricts the image dimensions. I'm sorry some folks missed that, but it's not Apple's fault. Just buy the charger (if you don't have any USB-A to Lightning cables or any USB-C powered ports or any Qi chargers available to you already) and move on.

P.S. The "What's in the Box" info is also on the product page for the iPhone, not just at checkout, and in the same size font as the rest of the info.
I strongly suggest you move on to another post you can troll. I won’t continue wasting my time with you. Try coloring if you run out of things to do.

Reaction score
I strongly suggest you move on to another post you can troll. I won’t continue wasting my time with you. Try coloring if you out of things to do.

I'm sorry my factual posts offended you and you have resorted to personal attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.