new powerbooks?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If there is an update, my guess would be either the PowerBook or the PowerMac. I am hoping for the PowerMac.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
thats great! ddr2, higher resolution, and possibly a standard superdrive... Sounds good to me.

I think it is kind of funny that they still say "Three for the Road. The new Powerbooks", even though their updates are about a week or so off.

kinda mean.

M

menace3054

djeddiebear said:
I hope this update (if it happens) makes a great increase in every aspect. Then I want the first Intel Powerbooks to come out January 2007. Then leaving me to get a 2nd/3rd gen intel-book afterwards.

I need a new g4 pb! :)

uh why do you need another pb? the one you have is the current one.. thats nuts, i have plenty of money to buy another one if one came out today but it wouldnt make any sense whatsoever... oh well, whatever floats your boat

and i agree with rman, i hope is the powermac!! and no more revisions to pb until intel :)

M

menace3054

so... when do you think theyll do the hardware announcement? towards the beginning or end of the conference

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
lol for me I'm going PB all the way!

S

sursuciofla

menace3054 said:
uh why do you need another pb? the one you have is the current one.. thats nuts, i have plenty of money to buy another one if one came out today but it wouldnt make any sense whatsoever... oh well, whatever floats your boat

and i agree with rman, i hope is the powermac!! and no more revisions to pb until intel :)

I agree, he should get something he may not have like a PowerMac or iMac or something. Doesn't make sense to get the same thing when you already have the latest right now which is very powerful. I didn't go buy another iBook just because they made a few minor upgrades.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Axxis22 said:
well expo was today.. wheres the news? what they say? what are the upgrades?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/20/apple_intel_mac_timeline/

there is some info there about what job's said today... I think since I just bought a PC back in April, even though I am VERY tempted to switch to mac this Feb. or even Dec. I think I might hold off until the new intel based pb are here. Reason being they are gonna be revamped Centrino's faster than what I have now... and what I have now already has a 2mb cache and so on. I can't wait to see something even faster than that in a PB... Running under OS X, it's gonna be stunning!

I'm looking forward to joinin the mac community next year as I transition into college!

Thanks

D

djeddiebear

sursuciofla said:
I agree, he should get something he may not have like a PowerMac or iMac or something. Doesn't make sense to get the same thing when you already have the latest right now which is very powerful. I didn't go buy another iBook just because they made a few minor upgrades.

I'm going to demote my current PB to a signifcant other. She wants my laptop, so I get a new one. Also selling my dual xeon server to my step dad and picking up a dual powermac :)

M

menace3054

djeddiebear said:
I'm going to demote my current PB to a signifcant other. She wants my laptop, so I get a new one. Also selling my dual xeon server to my step dad and picking up a dual powermac :)

lucky significant other

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb
I too hope they don't come out with any new updates as well. I just got my 15" powerbook about a month ago as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
speed4tu said:
I too hope they don't come out with any new updates as well. I just got my 15" powerbook about a month ago as well.

So, out of sheer spite, you don't want them to advance? You want others not to benefit simply because you didn't?

L

lil

Sadly if you buy a computer - you are buying something that will become 'out of date' - but the key is where you define 'out of date', and whether 'out of date' equates to being unusable or no longer suitable.

Now, hate to say this but if I had the room, I'd unpack my IIfx, which has System 7.5.3 on it, Word 5.1, and other assorted 68K gems which are loaded on it (a small 160MB drive in it too), and I'd still every now and then fire off something from Word or the likes from it. It's fifteen years old, and it still works like a trooper. That said I wouldn't enjoy using Photoshop on it now, but doesn't mean its suddenly become a dead duck because it's out of date.

The thing is not to worry about it progressing in age, so long as it does what you expect of it, what more can you ask. I bought my PowerBook 12" a month or so ago, and if Apple suddenly released an update to the PowerBooks tomorrow, I would not be miffed in the slightest because I know I had an awfully great month's worth of use out of the system.

:flower:

Enjoy the Mac, not salivating over specs and stats :flower:

Vicky

S

sursuciofla

lil said:
Sadly if you buy a computer - you are buying something that will become 'out of date' - but the key is where you define 'out of date', and whether 'out of date' equates to being unusable or no longer suitable.

Now, hate to say this but if I had the room, I'd unpack my IIfx, which has System 7.5.3 on it, Word 5.1, and other assorted 68K gems which are loaded on it (a small 160MB drive in it too), and I'd still every now and then fire off something from Word or the likes from it. It's fifteen years old, and it still works like a trooper. That said I wouldn't enjoy using Photoshop on it now, but doesn't mean its suddenly become a dead duck because it's out of date.

The thing is not to worry about it progressing in age, so long as it does what you expect of it, what more can you ask. I bought my PowerBook 12" a month or so ago, and if Apple suddenly released an update to the PowerBooks tomorrow, I would not be miffed in the slightest because I know I had an awfully great month's worth of use out of the system.

:flower:

Enjoy the Mac, not salivating over specs and stats :flower:

Vicky

AMEN!!!!!!!!!

What is a month versus 6 months or a year? I mean like you said if we bought and then 6 months later something new came out that means you got use out of it for however long. Obviously the machines that have been bought recently were bought because they had some need for it. I bought my ibook 8 months ago and when the updates came that was about two months ago I believe, it didn't bother me one bit because the machine I have does what it needs to do. If you always wait for the latest then you will never buy and you will never be happy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.