• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Motorola DROID!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I asked for one from my dad for christmas, since his wife doesn't want to get me something useful (like helping me pay for my car to pass inspection). I am stuck with Verizon, otherwise I'd get an iphone... but this is the first non-iphone smartphone that I am interested in at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Honestly, I sometimes miss the simplicity of my Motorola RAZR V3. If it had a decent calendar and email client, I'd dump my iPhone and go back.

Reaction score
One thing I'm hearing about the android phones (just reading, haven't actually touched a device yet), is that there are so many variations and firmware differences between the devices that app developers are having a hard time making their apps work on all of the devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I got to see the droid at the mall. It felt nice, but I'm not a fan of the keyboard. I had an HTC MDA and I don't even want it to resemble that phone! For some reason though, Verizon won't get the phone in until after Christmas in my area. I want to switch carriers too, but I don't want to ditch my iphone...it's been PERFECT for me and there is absolutely no need for me to switch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
One thing I'm hearing about the android phones (just reading, haven't actually touched a device yet), is that there are so many variations and firmware differences between the devices that app developers are having a hard time making their apps work on all of the devices.

This reminds me of the problems that Palm had with their old OS. There was no kind of configuration control for developers and it was sort of willy-nilly for Apps. You never knew if an App was going to work with your OS version or even your phone. Apples Apps store may be a bit draconian but at least you know the Apps will always work with your phone/touch. I can't begin to tell you how many times I'd install an App on my Palm Phone and end up having to zap the system and start all over again.

Reaction score

It's the same for Windows Mobile and Palm OS. I'm glad Apple is "one device one OS"..simpler

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
My G1 works fine with my Mac. Plug it in the computer via USB, drag and drop. Always worked for me. the only problem I have with Android is the inability to sync iCal events. I really miss being able to view my events, I use iCal ALL the time when on my Mac, I plan my week with it, I subscribe to my teacher's events so I can view assignment due dates, I set up doctor/dental appointments, etc. But none of that is viewable on my phone. And I will refuse to enter in ALL of my events on the phone, it's a waste.

That seems to be my only problem with Android.

Regarding my phone, the G1, I have been reading rumors and rumors about how the G1 will not receive future updates because it's hardware is incapable of handling them. I really find that disheartening, I bought a $400 3G capable phone, and in less than a year (of owning it) it is said to become obsolete because it will be stuck with Android 1.6. And on that note I also do not have 3G yet. T-Mobile just hasn't rolled it out yet in my area I guess. Kinda ticks me off a bit, I just wasted all that money for nothing. I was told that T-Mobile would roll out 3G in the summer. Summer came, and they said it will roll out in December. I can only cross my fingers at this point.

/rant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
cuhnool, you could sync your iCal calendar with Google Calendar and then sync the Google calender with your G1. It's a hack job, but I imagine it's better than nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
cuhnool, you could sync your iCal calendar with Google Calendar and then sync the Google calender with your G1. It's a hack job, but I imagine it's better than nothing.

You know, I totally forgot all about that. Thanks Kash. For me it would definitely be worth the work. I remember reading about that a loong time ago, never did it though. :p

*edit*

I got it working now, all my events from iCal have been synced through Google Calendar, then I synced my Google calendar with my phone, so all my events show up on my phone. Awesome!

What is also cool is that when I add events from the phone, they will appear on the web in google calendar as they sync together. Very cool.

Thanks again Kash for mentioning this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
So I messed around with our display model at work last night, and it was pretty sweet. I'm pretty excited to be getting one. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You know, I totally forgot all about that. Thanks Kash. For me it would definitely be worth the work. I remember reading about that a loong time ago, never did it though. :p

*edit*

I got it working now, all my events from iCal have been synced through Google Calendar, then I synced my Google calendar with my phone, so all my events show up on my phone. Awesome!

What is also cool is that when I add events from the phone, they will appear on the web in google calendar as they sync together. Very cool.

My pleasure :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

*edit*

This is how I sync my calendars up. I posted it a while back but I'm too lazy to go find it for you haha :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is how I sync my calendars up. I posted it a while back but I'm too lazy to go find it for you haha :)

And I'm too lazy to search it here! haha ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
Not sure if the Droid is coming to the UK, but I bought the HTC Hero a couple of weeks ago, and while Android is impressive, for a number of reasons it's not ready yet and by the looks of things really won't pick up for a year or so...
...this resulted in my getting my 16GB iPhone 3G yesterday and putting the Hero up for sale =D.

T

todd51

I really wish I could get one, but I bought the new enV Touch back in July. I'm sure it would cost me a fortune to back out of my 2 year contract and buy the new Droid. My mom's uncle (who is pretty old) bought one and I played around with his. Sad thing is he won't even use HALF of the features for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure if the Droid is coming to the UK, but I bought the HTC Hero a couple of weeks ago, and while Android is impressive, for a number of reasons it's not ready yet and by the looks of things really won't pick up for a year or so...
...this resulted in my getting my 16GB iPhone 3G yesterday and putting the Hero up for sale =D.

Very true. Android is still a young OS, and is still being developed. I am running 1.6, because my $400 phone is not capable enough hardware wise to handle 2.0, so that makes me relatively unhappy with HTC. But Android has some useful features that I really like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Very true. Android is still a young OS, and is still being developed. I am running 1.6, because my $400 phone is not capable enough hardware wise to handle 2.0, so that makes me relatively unhappy with HTC. But Android has some useful features that I really like.

Ya know, if Apple had done something like this, people would be screaming to high heaven about how messed up they are and how they are screwing their customers. You'd see on-line petitions and protests outside Apples HQ etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ya know, if Apple had done something like this, people would be screaming to high heaven about how messed up they are and how they are screwing their customers. You'd see on-line petitions and protests outside Apples HQ etc...

Yeah, because we all expect high quality hardware from them, and if there was ever a major global flaw from a product, it would hit the headlines of top newspapers, magazines, and probably TV (pretty much restating you). I have hardly heard of HTC, and I didn't even know my phone was made by them until I looked at the really tiny logo on the side of the phone. Their logo is no where to be found on the G1 box.

I do love Android, but the iPhone OS is much much better than Android. I have used the iPhone OS (I have an iPod touch, same thing), and Android fora long period of time, and I have to say the iPhone OS is the most reliable, stable, secure, and intuitive. But besides the fact, Android is still a great OS, and I rank it second right behind iPhone OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15 2.2 i7 4GB 750GB
I was looking into the Droid, but it requires an expensive $30 data plan just like the iPhone :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.