2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Sweet. Let me know how you like it as both a TV and when used with the computer. I would like to upgrade our TV soon and that would be about the right size for our viewing area. Won't be relying on their connectivity with Macs shout. Tried that with one of their DVD players before I got the Apple TV. It was shall we say less than satisfying.

Got it to use as a monitor only, but have to say the display is simply gorgeous. As far as a 40in to use as a TV, honestly, unless you sit right on top of it (less than 4 feet) you won't see a difference in resolution over a 1080p model (much cheaper).

Congrats Mike!:) What made you decide to go with a big monitor rather than a 27" iMac…which would have been a computer upgrade as well?

I would guess lower price tag for one thing.

- Nick

Two reasons for the change:
1) Continue to not be sold on all-in-one design
2) Eyes getting worse with age so bigger is better. Can't beat 40in (seems almost ideal size to me)

One issue, I should be able to output 2560x1440 to it from my 2012 Mac Mini, but not getting that as a resolution option, so limited to 1080p so far

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One issue, I should be able to output 2560x1440 to it from my 2012 Mac Mini, but not getting that as a resolution option, so limited to 1080p so far

I was going to ask you what the effective resolution was with this 40" display/TV…but you answered it.:) I thought maybe (because it was a HDTV) effective resolution/screen real estate would be 1920 x 1080. If this 40" HDTV is capable of 2560 x 1440…you need this $99 adapter from Apple:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MB571LL/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter?fnode=8b

Hopefully it interfaces ok with a Samsung monitor. I use the same Apple adapter with my 2010 Mac-Mini and 30" Apple Cinema Display.

This is assuming you want to go up to 2560x1440. As you know you will get more screen real estate…but text will be a bit smaller (I know you like larger text).:)

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, the TV is good for 3840x2160. The problem is with output from the Mini. Couple of potential issues:

1) I'm using a DisplayPort to HDMI cable (supposedly certified for 4K) because the TV doesn't have a DVI port. It has a port labeled HDMI/DVI, but so far haven't been able to determine how (or if) it really differs from the other HDMI ports on the TV
2) Right now I'm not going direct to the TV, but am daisy chaining through my Caldigit Thunderbolt Dock. Don't know if that is a contributing problem, but space is tight with the 40in screen in place of the 27in it is replacing, so haven't got around to playing with alternate cable routings yet
3) I suspect that since I am using a HDMI terminated cable (even though it is supposedly feeding a DVI capable port) that the Mini is sensing that and artificially limiting my resolution choices

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Actually, the TV is good for 3840x2160. The problem is with output from the Mini. …

I don't know if it will do all you want but I'd try giving SwitchResX a try:
http://www.madrau.com

Free trial available… but not sure if t works with HDTVs and a mini…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was going to ask you what the effective resolution was with this 40" display/TV…but you answered it.:) I thought maybe (because it was a HDTV) effective resolution/screen real estate would be 1920 x 1080. If this 40" HDTV is capable of 2560 x 1440…you need this $99 adapter from Apple:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MB571LL/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter?fnode=8b

Hopefully it interfaces ok with a Samsung monitor. I use the same Apple adapter with my 2010 Mac-Mini and 30" Apple Cinema Display.

This is assuming you want to go up to 2560x1440. As you know you will get more screen real estate…but text will be a bit smaller (I know you like larger text).:)

- Nick

Wow, Nick, I'm surprised that Apple even still sells that overly expensive adapter and I'd be surprised if any modern, recent HDTV would even have a compatible port it could be used with.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Got it to use as a monitor only, but have to say the display is simply gorgeous. As far as a 40in to use as a TV, honestly, unless you sit right on top of it (less than 4 feet) you won't see a difference in resolution over a 1080p model (much cheaper).
Don't tell my wife that. It will mean that I have to admit she might have been right. :Grimmace: Our current TV is a 32 in. Samsung but only 720p resolution. A 40 in. would be about the right size for our viewing space. Probably would have upgraded by now but decided I needed/wanted the iMac more. I'm tempted to look at some other brands which seem to have good picture quality for less money.

Has anyone noticed a good reason for the "curved" screen other than to mimic a movie screen? Just a thought. Don't want to hijack the thread.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't tell my wife that. It will mean that I have to admit she might have been right. :Grimmace: Our current TV is a 32 in. Samsung but only 720p resolution. A 40 in. would be about the right size for our viewing space. Probably would have upgraded by now but decided I needed/wanted the iMac more. I'm tempted to look at some other brands which seem to have good picture quality for less money.

Has anyone noticed a good reason for the "curved" screen other than to mimic a movie screen? Just a thought. Don't want to hijack the thread.

Hijack all you want . . .

Useful info here BTW
http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/size-to-distance-relationship

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for the link. I had a similar site bookmarked some time ago and either lost the bookmark or it's buried so far down in the list that I've forgotten where it is.

According to the chart are viewing area is right at the edge of the size room where a 40 inch ultra high definition TV should work. I'll be doing quite a bit of looking around before any decision is made. We tend to keep our TV sets until they just quit working. Thought I had a good excuse to buy one a few months ago but the horrible static turned out to be just a bad HDMI cord.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, Nick, I'm surprised that Apple even still sells that overly expensive adapter and I'd be surprised if any modern, recent HDTV would even have a compatible port it could be used with.

Are you sure you're not thinking of this adapter (Apple ADC adapter)…that's needed for the old Apple displays with the ADC connector:

http://www.laptopartstore.com/apple...splay-adapter-emc-no1918-6614252-p-34317.html

I know that the adapter I linked above is still needed for larger displays like the Dell 30" monitor (similar to the Apple 30" display) with an Apple computer.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks!
That did the trick

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know it worked with a new HDTV.

We've sure found it very useful over the years with different displays and setups etc.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you sure you're not thinking of this adapter (Apple ADC adapter)…that's needed for the old Apple displays with the ADC connector:

http://www.laptopartstore.com/apple...splay-adapter-emc-no1918-6614252-p-34317.html

I know that the adapter I linked above is still needed for larger displays like the Dell 30" monitor (similar to the Apple 30" display) with an Apple computer.

- Nick

Nope. As I mentioned previously, using newer and different ports and cables. I can't see why the Apple adapter would be needed with a recent 30" Dell either. I must be missing something or any reason to do so. But I'm not going to worry about it as I sure won't be going such a route.

IE: If this is close from the mini specs:

- Video (Monitor):

1 HDMI and 1 Thunderbolt port.

Supports dual simultaneous displays -- 1920x1200 on an HDMI display or a DVI display using the included HDMI-to-DVI adapter and 2560x1600 on a Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort display or even a VGA display (with adapter). Thunderbolt is backwards-compatible with Mini DisplayPort-equipped displays as well as adapters that are compatible with Mini DisplayPort (DVI, VGA, dual-link DVI and HDMI). It also can support other peripherals that use the Thunderbolt standard, which provides a maximum theoretical 10 Gbps of bandwidth in both directions.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...ni-core-i5-2.5-late-2012-specs.html#macspecs2

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't see why the Apple adapter would be needed with a recent 30" Dell either. I must be missing something or any reason to do so.

If someone doesn't fully understand a topic…of course they will not "see the need" for something.;) It's only after a topic is fully understood…that then…the need can be "seen".:) Obviously the Apple dual-link adapter was developed for a reason…otherwise no one would need it.:)

I know that the Apple computers that need this adapter are the one's with mini-displayport video ports. This covers models from approx. 2008 thru at least 2011. Before the mini-display port (before 2008)…the Apple 30" display could be connected to Apple computers directly (no adapter needed).

After Apple moved to the Thunderbolt port (which can also act like a mini-displayport for displays with a mini displayport cable)…I'm not 100% sure if this adapter is still needed. The Dell 30" display and the Apple 30" display are very similar. And this is why the Dell 30" display also needs this Apple adapter with Apple computers with a mini-displayport.

FYI. Here's an article mentioning needing the Apple adapter with a 30" Dell display.

http://gizmodo.com/5119858/apples-m...nk-dvi-adapter-has-periodic-distortion-issues

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Possibly I should have used better, clearer wording and made some reference to more modern options and the wording of "need" versus "other" and possibly the words, better and cheaper options…

But interesting FYI comment and link, and I trust the date was noted… ;)

"Apple's Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter Has Periodic Distortion Issues

Jason Chen
12/29/08 3:01pm
"

Edit:
PS: As far as "understanding" a topic, I'd say my suggestion to RavingMac to try and use SwitchResX to overcome their problem seems to have worked for them. :p

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Edit:
PS: As far as "understanding" a topic, I'd say my suggestion to RavingMac to try and use SwitchResX to overcome their problem seems to have worked for them. :p

Yes. Very good suggestion.:)

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I posted some of this info in a separate thread, but for the purpose of continuity, putting it here too.

My main reason for going the 5K iMac route was aging eyes, just wanted larger sharper display. But, was somewhat annoyed the 15in non-Retina MBP that I purchased and upgraded to SSD and 16GB RAM would no longer see use as it remains a quite powerful machine, more than sufficient for my current needs.
The fly in the ointment was lack of 4K support, really needed to take advantage of the glorious real estate on the 40in screen of my Samsung UHD TV.
Well, I found this and it works very well

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOZHL82/?tag=macforums0e4-20

For $25 I am now getting 3840X2160 and am delighted I should be able to get many years of service from my old MBP. So, will revisit the new Mac question in 2018 or 2019. For now I'm good . . . :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For $25 I am now getting 3840X2160 and am delighted I should be able to get many years of service from my old MBP. So, will revisit the new Mac question in 2018 or 2019. For now I'm good . . . :D

Mike…one question. Is 3840 x 2160 the true screen real estate you're getting on this 40" Samsung display…or is it really 1920 x 1080 which is "pixel-doubled" for enhanced sharpness, clarity, etc.?

Or putting it another way...output on the display is clearer & sharper due to the greater pixel density (3840 x 2160)…but the effective screen real estate is 1920 x 1080.

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In system pref display resolution says 3840X2160 and that is what it looks like to me. If I remember will post a screen shot.

EDIT: FWIW when I was first playing with it I clicked mirror displays and couldn't read my MBP's screen because font and icons were so small.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.