new MBP -- it's not charging!!

Reaction score
hi,

I have new MBP, purchased last Sept., running Monterrey 12.6...

as of a few hours ago it's not charging!!! it just stays stuck at whatever %ge the battery is at when I plug it in..

I don't believe this.. it's a new MBP.. how can this be happening? 🙁🙁🙁

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What is the percentage? I ask because there is now a smart-charging logic in the OS where if the machine is mostly used on mains power, it will learn that and let the charge drop to 80% and hold it there to lengthen the battery life. So, if it's at about that level, all may well be good. Click on the battery icon on the menu bar and see if it reports something to that effect. I don't recall the exact words. I used mine on battery yesterday, so now it is back up to 100% until it re-learns that I'm back on mains for a long time.

If that isn't it, what exact MB is it, and what are the indicator lights showing?

EDIT: If it's new and less than a year old, it's under warranty, so you can take it back to the store to be repaired or replaced.

OP
K
Reaction score
hi, thank you for your response..

as for the percentage, yesterday afternoon it was at 93%, I used it for a bit, now it's at 86%...
now the orange light does come on when it's plugged in..

also, I'm attaching two images, one (the one with the "lightning bolt", I shot it with iPhone) appears when I first open the computer, before I type my password in; AFTER I type in my password, the icon changes to the other image, with the outlet...

and: the percentage just doesn't change it stays at whatever it is when I plugged it in.. now it's at 85%, I suspect when I come back in an hour or so it will be the same..

what does this all mean, please.. I'm anxious about this..

thank you for your help..

Attachments

• bat_icon.jpg
    bat_icon.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 4
  • bat_icon2.png
    bat_icon2.png
    15 KB · Views: 4
OP
K
Reaction score
oh -- was going to ask about the warranty.. how long? a year? that's good..

thanks again...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I suspect that Jake is correct about what's happening. The computer has learned how you normally use it and adapted its charging procedure accordingly. The icons you're seeing suggest to me that it's probably charging correctly.

If you're concerned about it, get things checked out while it's under warranty (one year unless you purchased AppleCare). If it's inconvenient to do that I suggest that you do the following:

1, Make note if the current level of battery charge.
2. Disconnect the computer and run on battery power for a while.
3. When the battery level drops to say 50% plug the computer back in and attempt to charge it. You should see the charging icon (lightning bolt). The level of charge should gradually climb back to normal.

OP
K
Reaction score
will do... but it's risky, if it doesn't charge afterwards when I plug it in..

(it's down to 82% now, i.e, LESS than when I last closed it.. )

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That 50% number was purely arbitrary. When you plug it back in charging should restart within a minute or so. If it's charging properly that process should resume looong before the battery runs down to near zero. Plenty of time to save any open files.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I don't believe this.. it's a new MBP.. how can this be happening? 🙁🙁
Thread moved to better area (Notebooks)...originally posted in Desktop area.:)

Thanks,

Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
oh -- was going to ask about the warranty.. how long? a year? that's good..
By default all all Apple devices come with a 12 month warranty. Thus anything that goes wrong with it that wasn't caused by the user (liquid spills, physical abuse, etc.)...will be taken care of for free. Mobile devices (phones, tablets, etc)...do have some additional limitations.

And...you have 14 days to return anything purchased if not happy with it.

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Go to this Apple site. Get the manual for your machine. Read it. It explains everything.

OP
K
Reaction score
ok.. I did it.. I let it go as far as 70%.. didn't want to let it go lower than that, for the reasons I explained..

so about two hours ago I connected it, it starting charging ok... now I came back and looked, it's stuck at 84%... I looked about 15 mins ago and now, and it's at 84%... also the battery icon is the plug (outlet), not the thunder bolt..

this is too weird and I'm starting to worry... thank you for your help..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Do not worry about it, it's smart charging.... to extend the life of the battery.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 2.32.22 PM.png

This is my 2019 MBP and you'll see the "Power Source: Power Adapter" indicating that the battery isn't draining. You can ignore the 100% of the battery level, this is the same behavior when the battery is at 80% or lower.

As everyone else has said, this is the new way of ensuring that the battery doesn't need replacement because of overuse.

If you predominantly use the MBP connected to mains power, then the battery will be charged infrequently. Also if you do use the MBP on battery, and the level drops, when you connect to a charger, you'll see that it will likely charge up to 80% and pause. You can force the charge to 100% if you want, but again the system will learn and do the right thing.

In short, things are working as they are designed, you just need to trust the system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
will do... but it's risky, if it doesn't charge afterwards when I plug it in..

Not much risk involved at all really, especially as your Mac is covered by a one-year warranty and you do have a recent backup you could recover your data from if you ever needed it I'm sure.

If not do so and create one and do so ASAP so you don't forget. Assuming all your data on the computer is worth saving.

- Patrick
=======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
ok.. I did it.. I let it go as far as 70%.. didn't want to let it go lower than that, for the reasons I explained..

so about two hours ago I connected it, it starting charging ok... now I came back and looked, it's stuck at 84%... I looked about 15 mins ago and now, and it's at 84%... also the battery icon is the plug (outlet), not the thunder bolt..

this is too weird and I'm starting to worry... thank you for your help..

Let me tell you something if you will. No offence.

Sometimes the battery calibration doesn’t work and circumstances such as your occur.

One of the published methods has been to let your Mac run on battery only until it shuts itself off close to zero. After it has voluntarily shut down, reconnect the cable and charge it up to 100%.

This recalibrates the battery and from then on things should be as they should be.

Don’t believe me? Can’t blame you; nor could I till you read the literature, much of it from Apple itself.

And, the absolute fall-back for you is that it’s still under warranty and therefore Apple must repair pr replace the Mac. So nothing to lose by trying the above:);)

Ian

OP
K
Reaction score
ok.. contacted Apple through Twitter.. they said more or less what's been said here, and sent me this link,

so I guess problem solved.. oh man.. I had battery problems with my previous Mac (which I think I posted about here too, years ago... 😏), so I freaked out over this..
because well, how can users know this beforehand?

thank you very much to all for your help..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
ok.. contacted Apple through Twitter.. they said more or less what's been said here...

That's great, and it's also great that you ended up talking to somebody there who actually knew what they were talking about...
We wouldn't want to have to tell them that they were incorrect if they had been... ;-)

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.