New Macbook pro retina 128GB. Using elements with photos

Reaction score
I , perhaps foolishly, bought the new Macbook Pro Retina hoping to upgrade performance from my 2009 version. I have been using the Iphotos program to organize and photoshop elements to edit. Trying to migrate phoyos to any semblance of order has been a losing battle. The edit features of Photos are limited and I find the organization bulky and not easy to navigate. Is there any way to use Photoshop with this new Photos app? I cannot see a way to even save to the desktop to work with an image. I have upgraded to Photoshop Elements 13 and understand I can download it to both computers but have not yet done that so Elements is not yet on the new one.
I could just continue using the old one for pics and not upgrade so I can use the Cloud.....I will lose Iweb if I upgrade.
I am thinking I could get an external drive and use it just for pictures. Not sure if the format from iPhoto will translate. If I do that I hope I could download Elements and work from that drive although I really dislike the Elements ordpganizer.
After hours of attempts and exploration last night I was ready to give up.
Any ideas valued.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
A new MacBook Pro Retina is certainly an upgrade to a 2009 MBP.

Currently I don't believe you can configure Photos to use an external editor. If you don't like Photo's or the Photoshop Elements Organiser, why don't you look at Lightroom 6?

Switcher Hangout is the wrong forum for your post, probably why it's not getting a lot of attention.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Thanks

I am new ti this forum so not sure where posts go. I will have a look at Lightroom. Thanks.

A new MacBook Pro Retina is certainly an upgrade to a 2009 MBP.

Currently I don't believe you can configure Photos to use an external editor. If you don't like Photo's or the Photoshop Elements Organiser, why don't you look at Lightroom 6?

Switcher Hangout is the wrong forum for your post, probably why it's not getting a lot of attention.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Lightroom and Photoshop are Available for £6.98 a month on a limited time offer.
Not sure of the Price in the USA but its probably an even better deal.
You could give them a try for a month and see how you get on

Reaction score
Is there any way to use Photoshop with this new Photos app? I cannot see a way to even save to the desktop to work with an image.

Sure, there are at least 2 ways. You can highlight the image in Photos, then select File>Export and copy the image anywhere you want it. Or, in Photoshop, you can select File>Open>Photos and navigate to the one you want.

C

chas_m

This is one area where Photos falls down compared to iPhoto. iPhoto had "round trip" editing which Photos does not (yet!) have. I suspect we will see an upgrade to Photos in the fall that may add back in this ability (at least I hope so). In the meantime, you can continue to use iPhoto if you had it and kept it up to date -- it still works fine in Yosemite, and apparently in the El Capitan beta.

As for the edit features, they are actually quite a bit further along than in iPhoto, and as for the organization -- it is 90 percent the same! All that's changed, really, is that Photos automatically groups pictures into Years as well as Moments (formerly known as Events) and Collections (formerly known as Places).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.