New Macbook Pro 13 wifi issues

OP
M
Reaction score
I could of course do the same thing, however, I'm kind of lazy when it comes to that. Also, Verizon just a while back upgraded my entire system with faster speeds and installed their latest modem which projects the TV guide to the set top box wirelessly (no longer requiring a coax connection). Their new routers are very configurable. They also have a dual band router they've been hawking but it's not a free installation or give away. They want you to buy it for $199.99. No thanks, I'll stick with what I have. ;D

Verizon routers are very configurable and easy to setup, however, they are very slow if you start turning on security, web filtering, etc. I turned on some website filtering on my Verizon router and it cut my download speed in half (85 down to 35). Made no difference when using wifi or one of the Ethernet ports on the router. With the ASUS router, it doesn't make any difference what I do it doesn't affect the speed.

Verizon's dual band router (at least the one I looked at a few months ago), was only type N and not type AG so I didn't think it was worth $199 when there are AG routers available well under $200. The AG speeds are only good on my internal network since my internet speed maxes out at 85 anyway. The AG network is really nice when I make backups to my NAS backup drive. It's almost as good as a hard wired Ethernet connection.

I am just happy that my Mac is running well on 5Ghz now. That was really the only thing I didn't like about the laptop so now it is almost perfect. Only regret I have is I wish I had not cheaped out and gotten the 13" instead of the 15". Made the mistake of going to a local Apple store recently and I REALLY liked the 15" Macbook Pro. Oh well, I'll upgrade eventually....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you say AG, do you mean AC? Just curious as AC is the new WiFi standard that came after N.

I wish I could help with your issue but I have all older equipment here with no AC.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry, yes AC not AG. The problem seems to be resolved. Using my Netgear R6300. Very fast on AC connection on the Macbook. For whatever reason, the Mac doesn't like connecting to the new Asus router. I will just continue to use the Netgear as a wireless access point and use the ASUS as the router. Best of both worlds.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
AC is such new technology maybe there are still some differences that are affecting your Macs AC but not the PC. Who knows. :D Glad the Netgear R6300 solved your issue for now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.