New MacBook hard drive replacement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Thanks for your continued help...

I've put the new hard drive in then I've just tried to boot with the Install disk (1 of 2) it boots to a black screen and says 'no bootable device - insert disc and press any key'.

I've tried pressing keys but it just sits there. The new hdd is formatted to ntfs - does that matter ?

Have you tried pressing and holding the "C" key while booting up the laptop with the install DVD in the drive.

Reaction score
Ahhh just tried holding down the alt during boot and i got the install disk icon - it's going through the install now :D :D :D

Thanks so much Noxian :)

I'm pretty new to macs so forgive my ignorance.

Reaction score
Eeek - it started installing (checking dvd disc) it failed with an error now it says Mac OS X cannot be installed to this volume :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Eeek - it started installing (checking dvd disc) it failed with an error now it says Mac OS X cannot be installed to this volume :(

Try cleaning your disks, get some compressed air and spray out your dvd drive, also did you start up the disk utility after booting off the DVD and partition and format the drive?

Reaction score
It went straight into installing from the dvd the first time. I'm now in the disk utility and i have erased the drive and it's now Mac OS (Extended - Journaled) - do I need to do anything else to it before I try installing again ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It went straight into installing from the dvd the first time. I'm now in the disk utility and i have erased the drive and it's now Mac OS (Extended - Journaled) - do I need to do anything else to it before I try installing again ?

You should be good to go now,

Reaction score
Nope... I still get the red exclamation mark and it saying it can;t install to the drive . Also having problems ejecting the dvd to clean it.

K I re-erased it and tried 'non-journaled' and it's re-installing again....I never chose journaled in the first place I don;t think lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I emailed Seagate about the Momentus 7200.2 HDD's (80, 100, 120 gig 7200rmp drives) asking when the release date was and here is what I got back

Hello M

The 7200.2 Momentus drives have been released, but to the OEM
manufacturers. We do not have an exact date for release to the open
market but the date they were announced preceeds their actual availability
by approximately 120-160 days. The drives are pre-sold to manufacturers
for at least that much time. We anticipate an August date

The development stages are supported with testing by both Seagate and
major OEM accounts working mutually to finalize the design and development
of the products. The OEM partners have Purchase Orders for minimum
quantities of $2.5 million per quarter. These orders are filled completely
prior to drives being offered to the open market.

7200 RPM laptop drives run hot and you might want to see what Apple says about your choice.

Thank you for your inquiry. We appreciate your consideration of Seagate
products for your storage solutions.

Richard D.
Disc Presales

is he saying that ALL 7200 rpm drives run hot or just that these ones will run hotter than most? I know there are a lot of people running 7200rpm drives in the macbooks now, so if it is as hot as other 7200 rpm drives, thats all good

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.