New mac user

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
OKay. To answer a few of the OP's questions:

You CAN right-click on a Mac. It's a feature. It just needs to be enabled, and requires a two-button mouse. The Mighty Mouse, the one you probably have, is a four button. Left, right, side buttons, and the scroll ball all click. I personally have a seven-button mouse, and therefore pretty much never have to use keyboard shortcuts. Don't let people intimidate you into thinking you have to learn something you're not comfortable with.

Also, instead of using Expose (the F9, F10, F11, et cetera), you can also simply click on the program icon in the Dock that you want to go to. If you have iTunes, Safari, QuickTime, MS Word, and Mail open, just click the icon of whichever one you want to go to, and it brings it right up.

To answer your question about why the X not quitting a program is better is simple: in Windows, you can only quit a program. You can't just exit its window. While some program developers have created ways to get around this, it is how things generally work. On Mac OS X, you can do both, thanks to this feature. Where does this apply, do you say? Just a few examples are: if you're done using a program for now, but would like to reopen it later instantly instead of having to wait, you can do it. If you want to keep Mail open so it's constantly checking without having a window open is another, as is playing songs on iTunes without having the window. Just right-click an app's icon in the dock and click quit if you want to quit. Simple as that.

M

melmac'n

applepissue said:
What i would like to know is if i have 3 Windows open and (one window at the front covering the others and i want to make the second or third window come to the front, how do i do that currently i drag my mouse to the bottom R/H corner show it shows evething i have open then select the window i want to come to the front. is there a better way to do this?

that is where the witch is cool. say you have a milion browsers open or what ever you have going. You can see a tidy ghost list and scroll through them. and you can bring any one to the front that you want, Its a little neater than the hot corners, which I like, but they can get confusing. It also can be customized so you can give yourself the option of activating open programs or relaunching them. It is very easy to handle.. and it gives you back that windows taskbar feeling of being able to see everything that you are working on. but it only appears when you hit the keys. I think you will like it. from what you are asking for...
sorry, I'm not trying to push it on you,, I just don't think I explained why I was suggesting it in the first place.

http://www.petermaurer.de/nasi.php?section=witch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
As a "windos" user for the last 25 years I recently took the plunge and invested in a 24-inch dual core i-mac. Mainly because of the size (as a mature man of 53 some things aren't working how they used to work, eyesight for one). What a breathe of fresh air has come into my life; everything is much more intuitive on the MAC. I love the switch function on my mighty mouse. Give it a squeeze and everything that is open is in view. I am going to try parallels but hopefully installing windows on a mac will not be very necessary.

Has anybody really needed to use windows xp on their mac? :blind:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.