New iPhone with Verizon setup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I got a new iPhone 12 today, took three hours to get set up with Verizon. This is an account for anybody else on what happened.

First, when I ordered the new iPhone, they asked for my carrier and phone number. Had not been asked that before, so it did set off small alarm bells. I am in the iPhone Upgrade Program, where I can pay 1/24 of the cost per month, over 24 months, and can upgrade at no additional cost after 12. Basically, I'm "renting" the phone. So I give my carrier as Verizon and the number associated with it.

Phone comes today, nice. Opened the box, no instructions (it is Apple, after all). No problems because I had read at Verizon AND at Apple that all I had to do was power it on and follow the screens. So I did. Said "Hello," picked the language and area and then was offered to do an automated transfer or set it up manually (cue the sinister music). In he past the automated transfer has worked well, so I chose that. Wanted the two iPhones close, so did that, then wanted me to put the swirly blue dots in the camera frame on the OLD iPhone. Did that and they shook hands and started the process. Note that I was asked nothing but what language and what region and what type of transfer.

Next step was to activate the phone number. Asked for verification that the desired number, I tapped "Next" and the screen just stuck, no activation, no change, nada. Let it sit for about 20 minutes, cancelled the install and decide to do a manual setup. Rebooted the new phone, said Hello, got language and region and then selected Manual setup. Asked for verification that the number was what I wanted, got to the activation screen. Spent another 20 minutes with zero progress.

At this point in normal times I would drive the 5 minutes to the nearby Verizon store, but it's appointment only and the first available appointment is Monday. So I get online with a chat tech support person and we spend a fun (not) hour trying all the same things I have already tried, ending up exactly where I was every time. Finally gave up on that and got to the local Verizon store website where they offered a callback service for setup of new devices. Got a lovely lady on the phone who knew instantly what the problem was--activation of a new phone on Verizon MUST happen over the cellular network and my new iPhone was connecting to my WiFi home network because it had gotten the account information from my OLD iPhone in the brief time they actually talked to one another. The solution to the issue was to power off my WiFi router, then restart all over, Hello, language, region and MANUAL setup, which then led to a screen where I could decide if I wanted to restore over WiFi or cellular (pick cellular for now), then got to activation screen which took less than a minute to complete, then tested with a phone call and a text message, and finally turned on WiFi again and logged into my local net and now I'm in the middle of a restore from the backup I took this morning before this all started. Four hours in and still working at it. New phone is restoring, old phone is still there.

Lesson to be learned? Don't really know how I could have done much different except to not take the automated route in the first place, maybe that would have gotten me to the screen to pick cell vs. Wifi, but I'm not sure I would not have picked WiFi in that option and ended up in exactly the same place. But for those following me, learn from my bruised and battered brain and either set up your new Verizon iPhone where there is NO Wifi or kill your Wifi network before you start out if you want to do this at home.

Next week's challenge: Get the Verizon account over to the eSIM card. Yeah, that won't be hard...

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Interesting account Jake, but the new phone you received was not an iPhone 12? You mentioned it was an iPhone 11? Or was that a typo?

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting account Jake, but the new phone you received was not an iPhone 12? You mentioned it was an iPhone 11? Or was that a typo?
Typo. Fixed. Thanks

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Jake, I do so sympathise. If you're anything like me, by the end of all this trauma, you never quite feel that the iPhone is new. It almost feels tarnished already.

It should be open box, get out phone, follow simple instructions, restore from backup, and off you go. Thirty minutes max.

Spoils the fun a bit when things go wrong.

Ian

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian, it's not so much that as it is that the process was fundamentally broken. There was no indication anywhere that the activation was REQUIRED to be completed over the cellular network. Not on Apple, not on Verizon, not on the screens involved. And given that in the past the automated process worked flawlessly, I sort of expected it to do so now. What then further complicated it was that because it learned the WiFi password, and because I couldn't get to a Settings screen before it got hung up, the only solution was to make the network go away. That's a bit of a large hammer to use on that particular fly...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The solution to the issue was to power off my WiFi router, then restart all over, Hello, language, region and MANUAL setup,
Is there any point where one could just shut off Wi-FI on the phone and not bother shutting off the router wi-fi?

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I think there is if you don't start the automated process, but do a Manual setup. It will see the WiFi router, but won't have a login, so it offers the option to continue the setup with Cellular data instead of Wifi. That's what happened with the router powered off for me. But the real issue is that there is NOTHING in the directions that says you MUST do that to activate the phone. So what I would most likely have done at that point is to choose to use WiFi and enter the password to log into it as that is much faster than Cellular. And I would have ended up right where I was using automatic.

So the "Correct" path is to not do automated transfer from phone to phone, do a Manual Setup and setup using Cellular only. Then you can restore from the backup you made and wait for all that software to reinstall and all of your pictures to download from the Cloud again. I've successfully re-paired my  Watch and have reinstalled the apps there, and the Photos are coming down, albeit slowly (7900 to go out of 11,000, so that will take overnight, maybe more).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
But the real issue is that there is NOTHING in the directions that says you MUST do that to activate the phone. So what I would most likely have done at that point is to choose to use WiFi and enter the password to log into it as that is much faster than Cellular. And I would have ended up right where I was using automatic.
I agree. I didn't have any quarrel with that statement. Hopefully, by the time I'm ready for a new phone, they will have fixed this problem.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree. I didn't have any quarrel with that statement. Hopefully, by the time I'm ready for a new phone, they will have fixed this problem.
What is frustrating now is that there is nobody to complain to about it, so the likelihood that it gets fixed is very low. Apple asked what carrier, I answered. I don't recall if there was a "none of the above" option, but I think next time I'll decline to id the carrier. That way I should get a bare phone. But even so, once the SIM is in, it has to be activated and only through the cellular net, which I suppose I can understand, but one of the two vendors should point out that to activate you must NOT be in a WiFi network. Whose responsibility is it for that message to be delivered? Apple? Verizon? Skynet?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That way I should get a bare phone. But even so, once the SIM is in, it has to be activated and only through the cellular net, which I suppose I can understand, but one of the two vendors should point out that to activate you must NOT be in a WiFi network.

I'm not sure that is correct. With a bare phone (sim free), swapping the sim card from your old phone to the new one automatically activates it. I've done that now with at least three phones, the latest being my wife's iPhone 11. And each time I was on our WiFi network. Perhaps T-Mobile is different from Verizon in that respect?

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe, the Verizon Tech rep who finally got it activated said very firmly that the entire problem was that you cannot activate a Verizon account SIM via WiFi, it must be done over cellular and that the only way to force that was to be sure not to connect to any Wifi before the activation was done. With the WiFi off, I was able to get to that condition and in 2 minutes the problem was solved. Maybe T-Mobile allows activation with a WiFi connection in place, but Verizon was very firm that you cannot do that with them.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good post, Jake. I'm on Verizon, too.
I knew that, Marrk, and I thought about your struggle with activation as I was going through it.

Reaction score
I knew that, Marrk, and I thought about your struggle with activation as I was going through it.

Yeah, I wonder if mine finally got going with the set-up because it switched somehow to cellular. Can't precisely remember.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't like Verizon's prices or some of their policies but one thing I will give them credit for is their customer service. I always found their customer service to be very knowledgeable and willing to assist with a problem.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks much for the tip Jake (Wifi vs. Cell network during new phone setup).:) Most of us generally don't do this very often...very easy for something like this to be off our radar.

I wonder if this setup requirement is only for Verizon...and not with other carriers. Apple usually try's to make things like setup of a new device as easy & frustration free as possible. If this is required by all carriers...then Apple should definitely look into improving the setup process (I think someone above mentioned temporarily disabling WiFi)...to prevent this from happening.

- Nick

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, I sort of expected a simple setup. And it started that way. When I powered on the new iPhone, it asked me to bring the old one nearby, and when I did, it showed a swirling bunch of blue dots. It then told me to position the old one so that the camera on the old one could see the swirls. As soon as I did that, the two connected and the transfer started. Next up was the screen to activate. Nothing to do, it just reported it was activating. Waited a hour, got in a chat with a Verizon rep who wanted me to turn off the WiFi on the new phone. I told him I could get to anything but the activation screen. He had me start all over, swirly dots, etc. Stuck again. The chat was so slow I spent a hour just getting him to tell me to start again, I must have done something wrong. Gave up on chat. Went online to get an appointment at the local store, noticed they had a service to call back with setup support. It was available in 10 minutes, so I took that approach. Nice lady called, worked through it. She also wanted me to turn off Wifi, but when I described what happened, she said to turn off the router (killing internet access) and to try again. This time it couldn't log in, so I got a screen to ask if I wanted to use cellular instead. YES! And from there it was easy to activate. Not sure what Apple could have done differently, I think it's a limitation of how Verizon activates phones. About all Apple could do is to offer no automatic setup for Verizon. Not sure how well that would go over with buyers, though.

What makes it particularly strange is that the Verizon CEO was on stage at the iPhone 12 reveal. You'd think they would try setting one up!

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing my set-up again. Starting from scratch. Is it possible? Worth it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If this is required by all carriers...then Apple should definitely look into improving the setup process (I think someone above mentioned temporarily disabling WiFi)...to prevent this from happening.

It's not required by all carriers because as I related to Jake, I was able to activate a new iPhone 11 with
T-Mobile by only moving the sim card and doing it on WiFi. This was with a sim free version of the phone.

What makes it particularly strange is that the Verizon CEO was on stage at the iPhone 12 reveal. You'd think they would try setting one up!

That brought a lot of negative feedback for Apple. Plus when they announced the extra $30 charge for other carriers, the response was overwhelming, so much so that Apple came off the $30 fee.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking of doing my set-up again. Starting from scratch. Is it possible? Worth it?

Hey Mark:

If it's not broke.... Is there any special reason why you want to do the setup again?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.