New iPhone 15 pro

Reaction score
I have just got a new iPhone 15 pro.
I have an iPhone 8 and am trying to transfer info to my new phone.
I am with Vodafone.
All apps and other bits of info have been transferred, but I cannot transfer
My telephone number or e-mail.
There is an option to transfer from a nearby phone but nothing happens.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Henry.

ps I got a cover from apple with the phone but it does not protect the screen??
What am I missing.
I would like a case for the phone where you can charge it without taken out the phone.
I have a magnetic disc that attaches to the back of the phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Moving the Sim card from the old iPhone to the new will transfer your number.
or e-mail
What do you mean by that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Ok, lots to cover here. What version of iOS is on the old iPhone? Have you made a backup of it?

Normally, the way to transfer from old to new is to simply put the new near the old and wait for them to "find" each other. Then one will display a pattern on the screen and the other will show a message to point it at the screen of the other so the camera can see that pattern. That action links the two and allows the various transfers to take place. If that doesn't work because the old phone version of iOS is too old, you can use the backup from the old to restore to the new. Not as easy that way, but can be done. Tell us what computers you have because it works differently based on the age of the machine, version of OS and whether PC or Mac.

The iPhone 8 most likely has a SIM card in it from Vodaphone. THe iPhone 15 does not use SIM cards, but uses eSIM instead. To transfer the account/number from old to new you will need to work with Vodaphone to make the transfer, I think. I don't recall if the old SIM data is transferred to the eSIM as part of the transfer, but you can verify what you need to do with Vodaphone.

The cases these days don't cover the screens, mostly. I think Otterbox makes an overall case, but it's pretty bulky. If you want a screen protector, you can get one online or from any electronic provider. Just be sure you get one to fit the exact iPhone 15 you have (iPhone 15 Pro or Max).

The disk is called the MagSafe charger and sticks by magnetism to the back of the iPhone 15. If the cover you got is from Apple and is designed for the iPHone 15, then the puck should also attach to the cover and charge the phone just fine, through the cover.

Let us know if you need additional assistance, and let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Moving the Sim card from the old iPhone to the new will transfer your number.

What do you mean by that?
There is no SIM card holder for the iPHone 15 series, only eSIM, AFAIK.

OP
Henryv
Reaction score
Ok, lots to cover here. What version of iOS is on the old iPhone? Have you made a backup of it?

Normally, the way to transfer from old to new is to simply put the new near the old and wait for them to "find" each other. Then one will display a pattern on the screen and the other will show a message to point it at the screen of the other so the camera can see that pattern. That action links the two and allows the various transfers to take place. If that doesn't work because the old phone version of iOS is too old, you can use the backup from the old to restore to the new. Not as easy that way, but can be done. Tell us what computers you have because it works differently based on the age of the machine, version of OS and whether PC or Mac.

The iPhone 8 most likely has a SIM card in it from Vodaphone. THe iPhone 15 does not use SIM cards, but uses eSIM instead. To transfer the account/number from old to new you will need to work with Vodaphone to make the transfer, I think. I don't recall if the old SIM data is transferred to the eSIM as part of the transfer, but you can verify what you need to do with Vodaphone.

The cases these days don't cover the screens, mostly. I think Otterbox makes an overall case, but it's pretty bulky. If you want a screen protector, you can get one online or from any electronic provider. Just be sure you get one to fit the exact iPhone 15 you have (iPhone 15 Pro or Max).

The disk is called the MagSafe charger and sticks by magnetism to the back of the iPhone 15. If the cover you got is from Apple and is designed for the iPHone 15, then the puck should also attach to the cover and charge the phone just fine, through the cover.

Let us know if you need additional assistance, and let us know.
Thank you friends.
The sim card cannot be transferred to the iphone15 pro.
There is not a cellular option on my new phone - I assume this is something that Vodafone do not offer.
I have not been able to transfer my mail details either.

OP
Henryv
Reaction score
Thank you friends.
There is not a cellular option on my new phone - I assume this is something that Vodafone do not offer.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
There is no SIM card holder for the iPHone 15 series, only eSIM, AFAIK.
Jake

I don't doubt for a second that is true in many parts of the world; but in the UK, SIM cards and a SIM Tray still prevail. I have the iPhone 15 Pro and it comes with a SIM tray for a SIM card.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake

I don't doubt for a second that is true in many parts of the world; but in the UK, SIM cards and a SIM Tray still prevail. I have the iPhone 15 Pro and it comes with a SIM tray for a SIM card.

Ian
Well, that's good news as that means @Henryv can actually transfer the SIM and get the cellular going on the iPhone. Here in the US, the 15 is all-eSIM, dual. Does the UK variant have an eSIM in addition to the SIM tray?
Thank you friends.
Henry, that cannot be. You won't see the cellular option until you transfer the SIM card and Vodaphone activates it (I think they charge a small fee to do the transfer, but check with them). If all else fails, call get online with Apple support at Apple.com and get them to talk you through the process to both activate the SIM and to transfer your data from the old phone to the new.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Jake

Ian
Same in Australia, my wife bought an iPhone 15 there this year, still a physical SIM an tray. Can take multiple eSIMs and comes with a USB-C port for the provided cable, no MagSafe puck.
I have an eSIM for my iPhone 13, instructions are provided by your cellular provider on their website.

Can't imagine why an Apple provided case would not have an opening for the USB-C cable connection but no, there is no screen protection other than the lip on the case which prevents the screen from contacting a surface if you put it face down.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same in Australia, still a physical SIM an tray. Can take multiple eSIMs and comes with a USB-C port for provided cable, no MagSafe puck.
I have an eSIM for my iPhone 13, instructions provided by cellular provider.
Interesting. From Apple.com:
  • Dual eSIM (two active eSIMs; stores eight or more eSIMs)20
  • iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max use eSIM technology and are not compatible with physical SIM cards.
Footnote 20 on the APple page about iPhone 15 Pro says:
  1. iPhone 15 models are activated with an eSIM and do not support a physical SIM. Use of an eSIM requires a carrier that supports eSIM and a wireless service plan (which may include restrictions on switching service providers and roaming, even after contract expiration). See your carrier for details. To learn more, visit apple.com/esim.
The link for Apple's eSIM goes here: About eSIM on iPhone

That also doesn't say anything about supporting SIMs in iPhone 15 Pro.

I wonder what the various national Apple.com sites say. Obviously, there must be SIM-using iPhone 15's, if you two have them, but in the past Apple has listed the national options in the Tech specs.

In any event, if @Henryv has a SIM tray, he should be able to move the card to the new iPhone. If he wants to use the eSIM, he needs to contact Vodaphone about how to make the change. I have heard others say it's as simple as Vodaphone texting or emailing a QR scan code that needs to be scanned on the new phone to setup the eSIM on the account.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes Jake, that's the way it worked with my Australian provider, QR code on their website. Annie has her Indonesian SIM her iPhone 15 as do I, when we get back to Australia in June I will swap her to an eSIM for the Aussie provider like me. That way we can leave our Indonesian SIM cards in and no fiddly swapping cards on the plane.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Jake, that's the way it worked with my Australian provider, QR code on their website. Annie has her Indonesian SIM her iPhone 15 as do I, when we get back to Australia in June I will swap her to an eSIM for the Aussie provider like me. That way we can leave our Indonesian SIM cards in and no fiddly swapping cards in the iPhone.
A few years ago, when Apple introduced eSIM, but still had the SIM tray (in the US), I used an EE SIM card for when we travelled to UK and put my US carrier in the eSIM (Verizon at the time, now on T-Mobile). But when Apple moved to dual-eSIM, no tray, I couldn't find a way to get the EE SIM into eSIM. It was a PAYG SIM, perfect for travel because I only paid for the months it was active, and by turning it on/off on the flights to and from UK, I only paid for the time in UK itself. Now, with T-Mobile, I get free texts in UK, and 5GB of data/month included. Voice is US$0.25/min, very reasonable. The only drawback is that my UK friends still have to pay the international rate, even if I'm in the UK at the time, so we text and if voice is needed, I call them because my rate is so cheap. I do miss the local UK number, though, it was handy for paying at carparks and for rental cottages that had a number to call to unlock the doors the first time. EE did not, and AFAIK, still does not, support PAYG eSIM. Haven't checked recently, though, T-Mobile is just fine.

OP
Henryv
Reaction score
Jake

Ian
Ah!!
Excellent!
Thank you Ian!!
Should I remove the stuff I have managed to transfer over, before swapping the sim??

Henry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah!!
Excellent!
Thank you Ian!!
Should I remove the stuff I have managed to transfer over, before swapping the sim??

Henry.
No, the SIM card doesn't really store anything other than the cellular connection details.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I have advised before don't delete anything from your old iPhone before you have tested everything on your new iPhone and made sure it all works. Some applications are tied to a specific phone rather than a phone number. Make sure that those apps eg. Google Authenticator are working in case they require transfer to the new phone via QR code or other. The myGovID app for example in Australia requires a specific process to transfer it to a new phone. That way if anything does not work you can always return to your old phone until fixed.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder what the various national Apple.com sites say. Obviously, there must be SIM-using iPhone 15's, if you two have them, but in the past Apple has listed the national options in the Tech specs.
Jake, I'm not surprised that this is the direction Apple is going, I have noted that Telkomsel here in Indonesia are offering eSIMs now but I haven't investigated if PAYG (Prepaid) plans are available. Being a tourist hotspot they probably will be if not already.

I'm glad Annie's iPhone 15 was not dual eSIM only that would have been a bit of a problem at the time.

IMG_4465.png

Addit: There you go, they're available now.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.