New iMac's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 3.06GHz, 2GB Ram, 880GS Video; 500GB HD
Hey Josh, your machine specs are exactly the model I am thinking of. The one thing I am worried about is noise. The machine sits right on your desk, literally inches from your ears. How quiet is it? I figure the 3.06 will run hotter than the slower models, and thus drive the fans harder, creating more noise. Are you noticing any noise? Ideally, the iMac would be like a laptop - barely noticeable except when you really crank it.

Any and all input much appreciated. Thanks!

I didn't have a chance to do a whole lot last night. I was coming from the 2.4 with 1 gb or Ram so to in all fairness it is not an apples to apples comparison. I did rip and burn a DVD and messed around with some video editing, both were noticably faster but not holy crap faster if you know what I mean.

I got this model for the GPU since I do game. Having said that, I haven't had a chance to load vista on or my games for a comparison.

IMO the added fan noise is nominal, but I don't sit in the room in silence however. Usually have a TV going, so might take my report on this with a grain of salt.

The first xbench results are in for those that haven't seen them, but I'm guessing most have. Pretty impressive, actually.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/29/apple-imac-3-06ghz-unboxing-hands-on-and-benchmarking/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Josh, thanks for the XBench results - VERY, VERY helpful!

...and thanks for the comments on noise levels. Also much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 2.8G, 24", 2 gig ram and it feels good
that's wonderful for you. but what was the difference in the specs for you? from 2,4 to 2,8 ghz? cause unless you have more RAM now, this difference in processor power shouldn't throw you on your knees. i'm only saying, please take no offense, there's more to numbers than this

I went from 2.4G cpu & 1 gig of ram to 2.8G cpu & 2 gig of ram. I am on my knees. :D

nfn

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a switcher and I need some help to make a decision.
My main usage is for office, mail, web, photos, movies, a little photoshop and dreamweaver.

1. Is there a noticeable difference between the lower imac (ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB) and the 20" with ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO 256 MB?
In witch tasks is this visible?

2. for a 24" what is the work distance you recommend?

3. Is there a big difference between the 20" and the 24" related to the TN LCD?

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 2.8G, 24", 2 gig ram and it feels good
Hi,

I'm a switcher and I need some help to make a decision.
My main usage is for office, mail, web, photos, movies, a little photoshop and dreamweaver.

1. Is there a noticeable difference between the lower imac (ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB) and the 20" with ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO 256 MB?
In witch tasks is this visible?

2. for a 24" what is the work distance you recommend?

3. Is there a big difference between the 20" and the 24" related to the TN LCD?

thanks.

Plain & simple, if you can, get a 24". I was at the Mac store last nite & I am glad I didn't deprive myself of those extra 4". I could not give you any technical details but the visual detail & sweet eye candy is awesome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.