• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Gun Ban for 2007!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
thanks! i know it's not completely accurate either, as deer can be very quick to jump in front of you sometimes, but i went for humor over accuracy ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I live in a deer infested area, and you always have to be on the lookout when driving around here. Most of the time you can see them before you get to them, but you need to be ready to pounce on the brakes if one jumps out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I live in a deer infested area, and you always have to be on the lookout when driving around here. Most of the time you can see them before you get to them, but you need to be ready to pounce on the brakes if one jumps out.

I know what you're talking about. I went out to New Jersey a few years back and the guy there was also complaining about the huge deer populations out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I know what you're talking about. I went out to New Jersey a few years back and the guy there was also complaining about the huge deer populations out there.
Well, you get the Volvo crowd who wants to save Bambi. That's until they actually hit a deer, it pops through the windshield, and then proceeds to kick the driver to death. It actually happened around here a few years back.

Cull the herd a little, and it becomes less of a problem. Geez I want a deer steak right now. -_^

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you've got to be careful with Jersey deer. la famiglia dei cervi and all. ;)

Reaction score
The law and constitution is garbage.
Everyone can do anything they want but you may just pay for it. You can purchase a machine gun and hose a crowd, but you will be sentenced to death for that. Whatever the law says, you can still do anything. Will is stronger than force. That's why no government, even with all the weapons available, can force the people to comply to something outrageous. That is the human spirit.

What everyone should consider is not what you can do according to the law but what you should do instead. It may be your right to own a gun for harmless purposes but what if you get so angry you want to kill someone? Taking your gun out and pulling the trigger is surely much more accessible than getting your car keys and running someone over, ain't it?

No matter how good and law abiding a person is, he/she could change, no one knows. Therefore we should keep ourselves away from temptation. Don't make your weapons readily available. The major problem is that most people are just too proud. They think they can control themselves and can make the promise they will never use their arms to hurt someone else but humans aren't that strong.

Gun ban or not, who cares? I will never make it more possible for myself to become a criminal. If someone tries to kill you, I'd be better off dead than killing someone else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz 2GB Ram
This law is to appease some people and restricts the rights of people who are not the problem.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
perhaps this will make more of an impact coming from someone who is personally anti-gun himself. as i am for the most part a liberal pacifist.

Everyone can do anything they want but you may just pay for it.
for some reason that seems contradictory to me. the law is there mainly to reign in errant human behavior as society dictates (just as religion has for millenia).

What everyone should consider is not what you can do according to the law but what you should do instead. It may be your right to own a gun for harmless purposes but what if you get so angry you want to kill someone? Taking your gun out and pulling the trigger is surely much more accessible than getting your car keys and running someone over, ain't it?
there's really not much you can;t kill someone with. a car is probably one of the easiest actually, that's why so many people die in accidents. many more than are killed by guns. i would imagine there are likely some vehicular homicides as well. you said before, that the human will is strong. it will find any way it can to kill if given the cause and means, guns or not.

No matter how good and law abiding a person is, he/she could change, no one knows. Therefore we should keep ourselves away from temptation. Don't make your weapons readily available. The major problem is that most people are just too proud. They think they can control themselves and can make the promise they will never use their arms to hurt someone else but humans aren't that strong.
in an ideal world where everyone can defeat temptation, sure. my guess is that some of those people who do use guns to kill someone else in the anger of a heated moment would almost certainly find another means of doing damage. the fact that a huge amount of canadians own guns and yet there is only a miniscule number of gun deaths in that country attests to the fact that attitude has a much larger part to play in this equation than fire arms do.

Gun ban or not, who cares? I will never make it more possible for myself to become a criminal. If someone tries to kill you, I'd be better off dead than killing someone else.
do you drive a car? do you own any knives? do you have any human failings at all (temper, self destructive behavior, pride, etc)? owing a gun responsibly would not make much difference if you ended up crossing the line.
i'm not sure if you have children either, but as a father, i can assure you that even though i do not keep guns in my house, if someone were to break in and i did not have the opportunity to remove my family from the house safely, i would do anything and everything i'd have to do protect my wife and son. up to and including taking him out of the equation in whatever way i could. i've actually had dreams/nightmares about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
hehehe.. just got back and noticed I had two people leave me Negative Rep for my opinions in this thread...

They didn't leave a name, so it makes me feel a bit better that at least it was from those that don't have the courage to put their names behind their opinions.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I got 2 anonymous negative reps from this thread too. Worse, though, was the anonymous negative rep I got in the "how american are you?" thread that called me a coward. :black:

Reaction score
If someone tries to kill you, I'd be better off dead than killing someone else.

That's not an uncommon feeling. I've had students at "tactical shooting" classes that came to that realization. Knowing that about yourself is a good thing.

However, not everyone feels that way. Certainly Mother Nature has demonstrated to us that self-preservation is a natural tendency for most living organisms. You may be willing to lay down your life rather than kill to protect yourself or your loved ones, but I am not. I won't ask you to change as long as you don't expect me to.

And eric ... that was a great post (you commie liberal pacifist! :ninja:). Would have given you rep but the obligatory "spread it around" silliness tells me I don't really want to, I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Everyone can do anything they want but you may just pay for it. You can purchase a machine gun and hose a crowd, but you will be sentenced to death for that. Whatever the law says, you can still do anything. Will is stronger than force. That's why no government, even with all the weapons available, can force the people to comply to something outrageous. That is the human spirit.

Have you considered the amount of people (it's a lot.. though IMO 1 would be enough) that are SAVED because they had a firearm???

Here is something to think about...

http://www.a-human-right.com/_comeback.jpg

What would this lady be "better off" doing???

http://www.a-human-right.com/twoways_.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Everyone has had more than enough chance to voice their opinoins here.
This thread has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.