New camera, lots of zoom, smaller size, I JUST CANT CHOOSE!

OP
Tanner31593
Reaction score
Well,
the review for the Z712IS is in @ DCRP. Mixed bag there. I guess now im waiting for the SX100IS. Im still considering the z812, but seeing the review for the z712, im not considering it as much as the S3 and (hopefully) the SX100IS. So just waiting for some reviews on that. Tell me if any of you find one will ya?
Thanks!

OP
Tanner31593
Reaction score
Okay, so i read a review on the SX100IS, and thats ruled out.
Now im pretty much stuck, the TZ-3 is out, the Z712 is out, but not sure the Z812 is out yet, the S3 is in.

Is there a good Fuji camera with a 10x plus zoom? I used the S700 and everyone complained because of the lack of IS but whatever fuji uses in the pace of IS it worked because i found the images were less blury than the ones with IS.
So IN:
S3
Z812
S700 (or another Fuji with similar features)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hmm, the Z812 look pretty nice IMO.
Why did you rule out the TZ-3?

(Not being critical, but trying to make the same decision over the next few weeks :))

The 720p video capture on the Kodak looks very nice...

OP
Tanner31593
Reaction score
I ruled out the TZ-3 because of the lack of manual controls, i dont know how to use 'em, but it would be fun to learn. And it seemed that the TZ3 was kind of expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I ruled out the TZ-3 because of the lack of manual controls, i dont know how to use 'em, but it would be fun to learn. And it seemed that the TZ3 was kind of expensive.
Hmm good point. I'm kind of torn on that issue...

Btw I've been reading some user reviews of the Z812 on dpreview and apparently the 720p movie mode isn't that hot. Plus it looks quite bulky.

Reaction score
www.dpreview.com typically has some great reviews on cameras and accessories. I haven't been to the site in a while, as I haven't done much photography as of late. Photography is a hobby for me, and I haven't had much time to really keep up with it.

Reaction score
I have a sony CyberShot T100 and I love it!! It has 10x optical zoom in normal mode and in movie mode. It's skinner than a deck of cards. The LCD screen is big. I also have a Canon Rebel XTI which I don't love as much. I just don't liike the fact that it's so big and clunky. The lense is longer than a corn dog lol.

Reaction score
I have a sony CyberShot T100 and I love it!! It has 10x optical zoom in normal mode and in movie mode. It's skinner than a deck of cards. The LCD screen is big. I also have a Canon Rebel XTI which I don't love as much. I just don't liike the fact that it's so big and clunky. The lense is longer than a corn dog lol.

T100 has as 5X optical zoom. Or....am I missing somehing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4GHz 4Gb OCZ RAM
tanner, I feel for you, in the same boat here, with similar requirements to yours :|

After several late nights reading tons of review pages for cameras, decided to look further a field, and I think I may have settled on the Canon Powershot G9, reviewed here http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_G9/index.shtml

if that goes pear shaped, then I'll probably come home with a Canon EOS400D and use my camera phone as the P&S :)

buying a new camera is such a minefield nowadays :(

p.s.

says 5x optical zoom and 10x digital zoom for the T100 everywhere I read :|

OP
Tanner31593
Reaction score
Okay,
So i went with the S5 ($319 from amazon) and im SO glad i did!
Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
sorry for not reading the whole thread but thought i would give my input. i have a Nikon P5000 to use when i dont carry my SLR and its superb. alot of settings that you would find on the SLR although limited to an extent its a great piece of kit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have purchased a Canon Powershot G9 and been very pleased with it. It has 6x optical zoom.

You have to be careful not to mix up zoom quality and image quality. In most digital cameras these days, image quality is *almost* directly a function of the ISO in use. The lower the ISO, the higher the quality of the image. Look at the DPReview site, and pick pretty much any Point n Shoot camera with a full review. Go to the Samples gallery and scroll through. You will immediately note that the image quality degrades as the ISO goes up.

I selected the G9 in the end because unlike most PnS cameras, it has an external dial for ISO. You can set the ISO to one value and leave it there. Except in a few modes, the camera respects the setting, allowing you excellent control over image quality. Of course it doesn't hurt that the G9 includes a slew of SLR-like features, such as Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Full Manual modes.

Too bad I didn't get to this thread sooner. I would have (and still do) recommend a Canon Powershop G9.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.