New Ad Format Coming to Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Why the big block adverts? Why not the long horizontal ones that are at the top or a regular sized banner ad?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Just a reminder guys, this is only a test. iNET has the final say, if this will be implemented. iNET's advertisers are specifically interested in advertising on Mac-forums, but the site design does not support the advertiser's square ads, so these particular ads are inserted only once in a thread.

As for loading time, it's been an issue with the ads here, even before the in-line ads started. You'll notice that on sites other than Mac-forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I would definitely pay money so that there won't be ads. I'll pay money just to support the site too, just set up a place to receive money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
AdBlocker for Safari = Problem Solved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
yeah, i just got adblocker. Is it possible that the new ad format is driving more and more people to get adblock thus DE-creasing add traffic?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah, i just got adblocker. Is it possible that the new ad format is driving more and more people to get adblock thus DE-creasing add traffic?

I doubt it, those of you who choose to use ad blocking software would most likely never want to click on the ads in the first place. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I doubt it, those of you who choose to use ad blocking software would most likely never want to click on the ads in the first place. :)

I don't know... I clicked ads before, but the ad in the middle of the forum was too intrusive in my opinion. I mainly got adblocker just to stop that... Like I said before, I would be willing to pay money so that MF would not have to resort to ads like that, even if the banner ads on top remained.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
I'm all for M-F getting money, but I would much prefer having the ads on sides and NOT in the Middle, I click on ads, but the ones in the middle are a bit annoying, and I don't want ad blocker because sometimes the ads are interesting.

I'm just glad that it isn't on every page, just between the 1st and 2nd.

Add me for paying for a monthly/yearly fee for a limited add environment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Just got ad-block as well. I wouldn't mind the ads if they were on the bottom or side. With these ads are more features coming? :D

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With these ads are more features coming? :D

Hmm, you might be onto something. These new ads have to pay for these coming features somehow. O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ohh It's like Christmas morning at Mac-Forums!! Any hints?

No sig? Weird :p

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ohh It's like Christmas morning at Mac-Forums!! Any hints?

No sig? Weird :p

Features that are not normal for average forums to have. I've already said too much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The suspense is killing me! Ill be patient...

serenity now

serenity now

Reaction score
All I've gotta say is thank goodness for Adblock :D

Thanks for the heads up! Installed it on Safari and - voila! No more ads. I now withdraw my offer for a paid membership ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Hi folks, I have Firefox and just installed AdBlock Plus for Firefox. I had to also install a filter which pointed to mac-forums.com and ALL the ads have gone away, including the original headers we had. I had to look for the Home, Profile, Search, etc bar to find it without the big header design we have here... All my avatars are gone, too... So maybe it works too well :)

I hope this ad trial we're having will reconsider so the ads can become less intrusive, maybe at the top of the tread instead of after the first post... that would be more acceptable to everyone, I think.

There was a similar campaign at ComputerPowerUser.com forum where they put the ad at the right top side and it ate the entire space all the way down the right side of the page. Cramped all of the tread. THAT was a fight and CPU finally changed the placement of the ads to the top of the page, way above the threads. THAT works well. Maybe check that out, iWhat...

Noel

EDIT: Just disabled Adblock - the mac-forum pages were denuded because all the neat design features disappeared as well as the ads. Guess I'll just have to avoid looking at those new ads :)

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Remember folks, we do listen to your feedback and this is currently a test. If it ends up being successful it stays, if not, then it will go. Only time will tell.

Personally I don't find it that intrusive, it certainly is a little different. But it's only one place in the entire thread so once you scroll past it, your done. I find it far better than those annoying ads that take over your screen, "fan out", move across the screen, or play obnoxious music. So in the grand scheme, if it helps us bring in revenue and in turn bring new things to this site, I think it's ok. :)

We had a need to provide a certain size ad based on advertiser demand. That ad size couldn't be commodated anywhere else than where it is now.

As I mentioned at the beginning, I thank you for your feedback and we'll continune to take that into consideration as we judge the effectiveness of this campaign.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's still better than a pop-up ad. I can live with it. Especially with ad-blocker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Yea after a day i'm already getting use to it, don't get me wrong it still is a tad annoying, but FAR less noticeable, its just second nature to scroll down that bit more now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
going in a complete 180 I actually just disabled adblocker, clicked an ad and bought the item. Hello 12 mac apps, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 2.8G, 24", 2 gig ram and it feels good
A-Noying!

I hate this.

It is frustrating me more than anything.

I have run several forums & sites & always made sure never to force ads on people. This will hurt the site in my opinion more than help it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.