New 1Password 7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
I hope I’ve posted in the correct section. I am curious to those who have 1Password if they have downloaded the new 1Password 7. The reason I’m asking is that I am having problems with this new program. There is a good chance that I am going about it in the wrong way. I do have the most recent one on my Mac, prior to this update? Does anyone know if this is an entirely new paid version? It will ask for my either key or license. I have entered it and it won’t accept it. I contacted support and submitted my two email addresses because I wasn’t sure which one I had used. They responded by saying that they neither email addresses listed. This is rather frustrating because I depend on this program for all of my passwords. So I’d like to hear from those who have moved forward to the new 1Password 7. Or just any helpful advice would be appreciated. Sorry for being so long winded. Thanks in advance.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Good Evening.

I can almost feel your sense of frustration and I'm not at all sure I can usefully help you, but......

I have 1PW 7. It is pay-for, like its predecessor and all those before that. I think I started with 1PW3 or 4, something like that.

My 1PW 7 works fine (sorry, that doesn't help you).

I have a few questions that are pertinent:

1. Did you purchase your previous version through the App Store or directly from their website? This does make difference.

2. Are you a legacy owner in the sense that you pay once for a version - say 1PW 6 - which includes updates; but upgrading to 1PW 7 would need a new purchase? OR -

3. Is your account a subscription service whereby you pay monthly or annually a certain sum which includes all new versions in perpetuity?

4. And did your previous arrangement allow syncing across all devices?

And no need to apologise about being long-winded. The more we know, the more we can help.

My guess from your post is that you made a single purchase for your previous version of 1PW and therefore 1PW 7 requires a new payment, but I could be wrong and your help in answering these questions will hopefully sort things out.

Ian

OP
firesidedog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am most certain that I purchased it from the developer. One payment. I do have it so it syncs to my iPhone and iPad. So perhaps you can answer me this, do i have to purchase another license? it sounds like it. Is this now an annual fee or one time deal. And I need to make sure that all of my password and such are transferred. I am not getting any replies from the developer. I ended up doing a re-instal from my TM. Thanks again for your input.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's a long thread about the new 1 Password over in MacRumors. What I gathered from it is that it no longer matters if you purchased it from the app store or direct from the developers as this version is a pay version. They also have a subscription model.

I was at one time a proponent of 1 Password but with the cost of the new version and now it seems we must pay for every upgrade, I have decided to use other means of storing passwords. I believe the price for the new version was $49.99 for a short time but now is $69.99. That's a bit over the top for me.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you very much for coming back so promptly.

Yes, in your case, you will need to purchase 1PW 7 and get the license key for that, BUT, all your passwords, vaults etc will transfer to the new product.

As I see it, you seem to have the following options:

1. Keep 1PW 6. It will not be updated but will continue to work.

2. Upgrade to 1PW 7 - one time payment

3. Consider the subscription service which will guarantee all updates and upgrades in the future.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
This is rather frustrating because I depend on this program for all of my passwords. So I’d like to hear from those who have moved forward to the new 1Password 7. Or just any helpful advice would be appreciated. Sorry for being so long winded. Thanks in advance.

I am most certain that I purchased it from the developer. One payment.

Some rather interesting user comments here to me, and I don't even use it:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21711/1password
https://9to5mac.com/2018/05/22/1password-7-mac/

and more…

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe the price for the new version was $49.99 for a short time but now is $69.99. That's a bit over the top for me.

Good grief!!! Thank God I didn't have a mouthful of anything when I read this 'cause my keyboard would have got soaked!!!

I was just at the macupdate site and reading some of the comments and the info for 1Password 7 is displayed as:
LicenseShareware
Date05 Jun 2018
Platform Intel 64 / OS X
Price $2.99

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21711/1password

Gee, just a slight wee difference eh???

Even that price would be too much for me after reading about their attitude and comments.

- Patrick
======

OP
firesidedog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since I originally tried to download password 7 and had problems I did a TM restore and got my original 1password back. I am going to stick with that. I am not about to pay those prices for the upgrade. However I would like to thank everyone for their input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since I originally tried to download password 7 and had problems I did a TM restore and got my original 1password back. I am going to stick with that. I am not about to pay those prices for the upgrade. However I would like to thank everyone for their input.

Glad to read you got a fix but the older 6 and earlier versions are readily available to just install, assuming you still had your compatible registration.

Thanks for having a backup eh?? ;D

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.