Network in Finder can't see my PC's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT
I guess to understand my problem, you have to get an idea of my network layout...

3 Computers...
1 - MacBook Pro running OS X Tiger 10.4.10 (Fully Updated)
1 - Custom Built Desktop Computer running Microsoft Windows Vista Business
1 - Dell Inspiron 640m Notebook running Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

The Network...
Router is an Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station with Gigabit Ethernet & Wireless N.
-Connected to the APEBS is a 8 port 10/100 ethernet switch.
-Connected to the Base Station via USB is an 8-port Belkin USB Hub.

The Setup....
-The MacBook Pro is connected wirelessly via 802.11n, and occasionally connected via Gigabit ethernet, plugged in directly to the Base Station.
-The Custom Built Computer is connected via Gigabit ethernet, plugged directly to the Base Station.
-The Dell Inspiron 640m is connected to the 10/100 switch which is connected to the Base Station. It also occasionally connects to the Base Station via 802.11a.
-There is also a Brother DCP-7020 Multifunctional Printer connected to the USB Hub, which is connected via USB to the Base Station.
There is one other Acer computer that is NOT mine, hence to me it doesn't really matter O:)

The Problem...
My MacBook can't see ANY of the computers connected to the Base Station. However, the Dell can see the Custom Built computer (and vice versa), and stream media from it. It can't even see the workgroup that the Windows-Based PCs are on.

Other things to consider...
-All computers have access to the internet.
-NONE of the computers on the network have a software firewall installed. The Windows Firewall on the Windows-based PCs have been disabled.
-My Mac can Ping the Windows-Based PCs with 0% packet loss
-Only the Mac has AirPort Utility installed on it
-On other networks (like my school's free wireless) I can see workgroups and computers in the "Network" area in Finder.
-The Mac can print to the Brother DCP-7020 no problem. I haven't installed AirPort Utility on the Windows-based PCs yet to enable them to print (never had the need to).

Anyone know how I can get the Mac to see the Windows PCs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
I might be wrong in the sense of what i am asking but on your MacBook, do you have Windows Sharing enabled?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is one question I was going to ask and also suggest installing a Airport Express client on your XP PC and go through the setup and see if that helps. Not sure with the AE since I don't own one, but the manual seems to insist doing that. With Vista you will have some issues. There is a way around that if you get this part fixed.

OP
KamileonX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT
I might be wrong in the sense of what i am asking but on your MacBook, do you have Windows Sharing enabled?

Yes, I do have Windows Sharing enabled.

That is one question I was going to ask and also suggest installing a Airport Express client on your XP PC and go through the setup and see if that helps. Not sure with the AE since I don' own one, but the manual seems to insist doing that. With Vista you will have some issues. There is a way around that if you get this part fixed.

Thusfar, the problem is not strictly Vista. I can't see my XP MCE machine either. I will try installing AirPort Utility on my PC, see if it makes a difference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.