Network advice for 802.11n vs 802.11ac

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum here. I posed this question before and got some insight but need some more direction.

I have a 2011 IMAC with 802.11n wifi. I have gigabyte internet from comcast. My 2013 MacBook with 802.11ac shows three times the download speeds as my IMAC with .n.

Here is my question. Can I (and would it be worth it if so) connect an airport extreme wirelessly to my comcast router and then ethernet from the airport extreme base into my IMAC and if so, would it show any better speed?

If is is better, how would I set this up in airport utility?

iI appreciate the help!

JT

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My 2013 MacBook with 802.11ac shows three times the download speeds as my IMAC with .n.

Just so we know...how is this being measured?

Thanks,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you're referring to the website speedtest.net...nothing wrong with that. Just wanted to verify how the speed info was determined before making any assumptions.:)

Can you tell us the speeds you're getting from your iMac & MacBook (given you have gigabit internet from Comcast)? Make sure to test them at basically the same time (one at a time)...one after the other. Not at different times of the day...just in case there are neighborhood demand differences at different times.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Are the two computers side by side when you do the test? Have you tried moving the iMac, into a different position within the room it is in? Wi-Fi signals bounce around the walls and ceilings, so they should be close to the same location to do the testing. Also, the Airport antenna in the iMac, may be loose or getting interference from other wifi/blutooth devices.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Try using Wireless Diagnosis.app accessible by holding down the option key and then clicking the Airport menu icon.

It might provide some help.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.