Need Wireless Mouse Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" M2, Ventura OS
Since I added a Dell monitor to my MacBook Pro M2 my Logitech wireless mouse has been wonky, but now the lag on it has caused me major frustrations trying to work. I've tried adjusting every mouse speed/tracking option with no improvements. Does anyone have a fix to get the mouse to respond or a new mouse that may work better? FYI-the laptop has a port expander with an HDMI to the monitor and the dongle for the mouse, images attached if that helps. As always, thank in advance for any suggestions!

Not sure why, but couldn't get images to post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Are you using the logitech app to control your mouse, unistalled mine and the mouse works flawlessly.

OP
KoobCAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you using the logitech app to control your mouse, unistalled mine and the mouse works flawlessly.
I don't believe so. I just plugged the dongle into the port expander and mouse is activated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Does it work better without the port expander? The port expander is probably the issue. What is the make and model of the port expander? A dock may be better suited for your needs.

OP
KoobCAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The port expander is shown at the link below.
OK, that looks like the correct hub. Do you plug the MBP power supply into the hub, or do you plug it into the MBP?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I would suggest you eliminate the hub (port expander) for the mouse dongle. A small adaptor is pretty cheap, cheaper than a new mouse and a good way to troubleshoot the issue. My guess is that the hub does not have the resources to run both the monitor and your USB AR receiver as well.

Here is one I use as a spare which only cost me AU$10

IMG_3825.jpeg

krs

Reaction score
I would suggest you eliminate the hub (port expander) for the mouse dongle. A small adaptor is pretty cheap, cheaper than a new mouse and a good way to troubleshoot the issue.
Doesn't that adapter need a USB port to plug into?
It would still need the port expander
My guess is that the hub does not have the resources to run both the monitor and your USB AR receiver as well.
Maybe.........
But a mouse really needs very, very few resources.

I would "splurge" and spend $10 on a basic wired USB Logitech mouse and try that via the port expander to see if the problem is the expander or not.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
No, the little adaptor plugs into one of your 4 USB-C ports and accepts a standard USB plug which I assume is what your "dongle" has.
Below is the "official" Apple product which costs a lot more and is probably better but I'm sure the little one would be perfect for an AR receiver (dongle).
IMG_3826.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My guess is that the hub does not have the resources to run both the monitor and your USB AR receiver as well.
That was why I asked if the MBP power plug was plugged into the hub. That would power the MBP and adapter, although the MBP would charge at a slower rate with the more ports being used on the hub.

OP
KoobCAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, that looks like the correct hub. Do you plug the MBP power supply into the hub, or do you plug it into the
OK, that looks like the correct hub. Do you plug the MBP power supply into the hub, or do you plug it into the MBP?
You lost me on this one? I plug the MBP into an electrical outlet and the port expander plugs into the other thunderbolt port on the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One of the USB-C ports on the hub (expander) will accept the power lead from the MBP, if it's USB-C and not MagSafe.

1687788930641.png
You want to plug your Apple power cord into the one marked PD INPUT, then plug the adapter into the MBP.

This is the one I use with my 2018 MBP,

I plug the USB-C power cord from the included Apple power adapter into the hub, then pug the hub into my MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Since I added a Dell monitor to my MacBook Pro M2 my Logitech wireless mouse has been wonky, but now the lag on it has caused me major frustrations trying to work.

What Logitech model is your Logitech wireless mouse, and it is a USB or Bluetooth mouse? Some models can be used either way.

The Bluetooth mice don't always need a dongle and if the Mouse control software you are currently using doesn't work properly, maybe give SteerMouse a try, I believe they have a demo trial available or don't use any third-party software if you don't need any custom settings. Apple's System Preferences > Mouse settings might be enough and all you need.

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
One of the USB-C ports on the hub (expander) will accept the power lead from the MBP, if it's USB-C and not MagSafe.

View attachment 38414
You want to plug your Apple power cord into the one marked PD INPUT, then plug the adapter into the MBP.

This is the one I use with my 2018 MBP,

I plug the USB-C power cord from the included Apple power adapter into the hub, then pug the hub into my MBP.
Why do you think powering the MBP via the hub rather than directly would make any difference as far as the wireless mouse is concerned?

krs

Reaction score
I think we are going off on a tangent.
As I understand it, the wireless mouse was working fine before the external monitor was hooked up.
So first thing I would do is to go back to that set up to verify that the wireless mouse still works fine that way.
If so, add the hub and connect the mouse via the hub (but not the monitor) to see if that works fine.
In other words, make small specific changes one at a time to pin down what causes the problem rather than stabs in the dark.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why do you think powering the MBP via the hub rather than directly would make any difference as far as the wireless mouse is concerned?
This way the hub has power, to supply the devices. That's why the MBP might charge a little slower, because it is not getting the full wattage (65W, 90W, etc...) from the power brick.

so the USB-A port the dongle is plugged into is powered, and not drawing power from the hub directly connected to the MBP (without Apple power brick connected to it).

So, Apple Power Brick -> HUB -> MBP. Instead of APB -> MBP & HUB -> MBP

krs

Reaction score
This way the hub has power, to supply the devices.
Those hubs require power regardless.
These are not passive devices
so the USB-A port the dongle is plugged into is powered, and not drawing power from the hub directly connected to the MBP (without Apple power brick connected to it).
You assume the issue is that the power provided by the MacBook is insufficient for the mouse and the monitor.
So, Apple Power Brick -> HUB -> MBP. Instead of APB -> MBP & HUB -> MBP
Worth a try I suppose.
But if that hub, which has ports for 6 devices, can't even hadle two devices, one of which is mouse, then there is something seriously wrong with the hub.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those hubs require power regardless.
Right, but if the hub draws it's power from the MBP, more devices could overdraw the TB/USBC 4 port. That's the way these hubs are designed, no separate power supply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You assume the issue is that the power provided by the MacBook is insufficient for the mouse and the monitor.
Yes, and that more devices may be plugged in as well, such as external HDD drives without their own power supply.

krs

Reaction score
We are doing a lot of guessing here and therefore just spinning our wheels.
I think the OP needs to provide more specifics on what is plugged into the hub and how the hub is powered.
My assumption was that only the Dell monitor and the wireless mouse were plugged in since no other devices were mentioned.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.