Need To Buy A Router

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

I'm with Spectrum for Internet service. My ancient Apple Airport (version 2, flat and rectangular) can't keep up with the speeds coming out of the Spectrum modem. Recommend me a router that can handle the up to 362 Mgps coming off of my modem.

Thanks. :)

P.S. For price, I'm thinking $150-$250, not $1,500 to $2,500.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My son was just remarking that in this day and age of advertisements everywhere, there are still enthusiasts all over who have gone through the trouble reviewing all of the options and who are willing to make recommendations for free, or for some small bit of compensation from a sponsor.

You just have to be careful that the "enthusiast" isn't actually a shill for one of the manufacturers. (You can do a search for "best anti-virus software", for instance, and find a ton of review sites with recommendations, and not a single one of them will be legitimate.)

OP
M
Reaction score
Note: Jeez, I just realized I had a typo in the thread title. I hate that. Maybe a mod can change "Ned" to "Need" so I don't die of shame.

Today, I bought a Netgear AX1800 WiFi 6 Router. The girl at Best Buy was very helpful (I love it when they say, "You don't need that. You need this."). I won't forget her. But it took two hours with Netgear Customer service to set up the router. Simple stuff made difficult; for example, they don't tell you that the name and password of your router is written on the bottom of your router. Anyway, all I have left to do is figure out if my network security is in place. Maybe tomorrow.

Spectrum Test Speed off the Netgear router: 364.5 Mbps download. 11.7 Mbps upload. I don't know about you, but where I come from, those are speeds my father would have been worried about.

… My pappy said, "Son, you gonna drive me to drinkin'
If you don't stop drivin' that hot rod Lincoln"

:D:D:D:D:D

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think we all knew what your title was meant to say:D. Don't worry about it, just a typo. As for the name and password on the bottom of the router, seems like we all find out that little titbit by hard experience, I know I did.
Glad to hear you sorted your problem and yes, there are still genuinely helpful sales people out there, I always make a point of giving them positive feedback.

OP
M
Reaction score
@Rod I can't tell you how much that typo bugs me. You tech guys think that you are OCD? Ha! I'm a word guy. Trying to use language on my laptop, or, God help me, my phone . . . I am dying every day.

That young lady at Best Buy was absolutely perfect. A Passover gift.

I am satisfied with the Netgear router. By the way, it cost me $154.34 in California.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Just leave the title as it is. Someday someone named Ned will need a router and his search will be directly here. :)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Aha! You've done it again Marrk! :LOL:;)

Oh, Ian... You are going to cause their OCD to flare up, and rubbing salt on it probably sn't going to help sterilize the situation... :rolleyes: ;)

- Patrick
=======

OP
M
Reaction score
Update: The Netgear router that I bought is working great, but I would add one data point: It does not have a USB port like my ancient Airport base station had. I don't know important a USB port is to you more experienced computers guys.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Update: The Netgear router that I bought is working great, but I would add one data point: It does not have a USB port like my ancient Airport base station had. I don't know important a USB port is to you more experienced computers guys.
IMO, a USB port on the router is a gimmick and largely useless since you're going to stow your router in some dark corner of your house to do its job. What possible purpose do you have to leave a USB disk attached to it?

With the Airport base station, it pretended to be a "NAS" by giving you access to the attached storage. But we've come pretty far now, you can plug the USB drive directly to your machine for better performance or if you need oodles of shared storage on the network, you can go down the real NAS route.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
@Raz0rEdge I used the USB port on my old Airport base station to connect my printer.
Most printers have support for WiFi/Ethernet and recent one have AirPrint which makes it easy to put it anywhere without having to tether to it any one device (or router)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.