Need refresher advice on how to copy old SSD info to new 1TB SSD

Reaction score
Hello all -- just got my OWC mercury electra 1TB SSD to replace the 256 GB I have in it now. Wanted to know how I can copy and format the SSD. I think I can use Disk Utility, but not sure excatly what to do, or even if that's the most efficient way.

I thought about Using my Linux partition on the current SSD and use the dd command to duplicate the disk. Does this command copy both partitions onto the new SSD, or will it only copy the Linux partitioon, and how do I structure the command to do this? A friend sent me an email about how what operators to use, but like an Idiot I accidentally deleted it. I remember somethng about notrunc no error, and if I remember correctly those were the only operators used in it. I simply want to make an exact copy.

Please let me know if you need any other info, as well as what approach would work best. Perhaps just copy the OSX partition and then install Linux, and use gparted to divide the disk in half, 1 half for OS X and the other half for Linux?

All advice is welcome. Thanks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I always use CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) to copy new drives before install. Also, I advise doing a test boot as an external drive for swapping, in case there are problems

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not going to comment on anything Linux since it's been too long ago that I ran it. I also recommend that you avoid Linux commands when dealing with macOS.

If all you need is to copy from the old SSD to the new 1TB SSD, you can use cloning software which might be the fastest and easiest way to do it. Carbon Copy Cloner has a free 30 day trial and SuperDuper has a free version. Your choice.

You will need to format the new SSD first. Without any additional info from you, we have no idea which format to suggest. Use Disk Utility to do the formatting.

OP
S
Reaction score
Okay -- I formatted a HD that I have to test this, but I can't complete it because it fails. I've attached a screen shot when I try to do this.

Doing some reading and found that for some reason my SSD drive in the computer can't be used because it's 'mounted' or something like that. I read that I can boot in recover mode, but when I try to do that I get the chime and the apple logo, but it just stays there and I don't get a window with recover options. I've got the recovery in there in the side bark of the finder window, but for some reason it won't boot into it when I boot into recover mode (command - R)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 6.11.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 6.11.58 PM.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 7
OP
S
Reaction score
Update -- I can now get the disk utility window when I do a recovery reboot, but the same result -- unable to copy my SSD to the HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You cannot change (reformat, partition, restore) the drive from which you are booted. Normally, with a clone backup you would boot from the clone, then clone from there to the Internal, which should work because you are NOT booted from the internal drive at that point. The Recovery partition is on the internal drive, which is probably what is happening to you now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
QUOTE="RavingMac, post: 1891458, member: 45350"]
I always use CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) to copy new drives before install. Also, I advise doing a test boot as an external drive for swapping, in case there are problems
[/QUOTE]

+1!!!
I agree completely. And Disc Utility for formatting.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.